5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed length advice

g8rvet

Reaction score
Newbie here, first post. Just took delivery today!

I went with the 5'7". I have a 14 foot trailer and a 22 foot trailer. But for quick loads (I also have a couple of Kayaks), I have a T bar bed extender that fits in the receiver hitch handles the yaks and the longer lumber for trips to the lumber yard without hooking up a trailer. Takes about 2 minutes to put it in. Just a thought if you want the shorter box, but still need to haul some lumber or long material occasionally.

Stickerhead

Reaction score
I had a dealer go from Dallas to Denver to get me a 6’4” bed and a non-etorque Hemi in a Limited. Had a 6’5” bed on my F-250. The 5’7” bed will not haul anything. I back in to park so parking is not an issue. 7” shorter than my F250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hauler 16 foot 2x8s in my long bed. Strapped them down right and it wasn't a problem. The 5'7" it wouldn't have been tough.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Depends on where you live, too. Fortunately I don’t live in an area where turning radius and length are an issue. I shudder to think of having to go for the short box, but I can see where that is a viable option for urban dwellers. I love my 6’4 crew.

EGJ16

Reaction score
Ive had a 6’4” bed on a 2012 2500 the past 6 years and I can count how many times I actually needed the bed. I knew before I went 1500 shopping that I would eventually be getting a 16-20ft trailer to haul the longer loads so that it would be a problem with the 5’7” bed. So it will come down to how you are going to be using the truck.

As for the ram boxes, I believe I read somewhere that the option for the 6’4” bed isnt going to be available until after they have them in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Ram boxes werent available in 2019 for the heavy duty’s. So maybe in a couple more months there will be options.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A Real long bed. Life changing.
20190922_141637.jpg
My wife said we couldn't do the trails. My son said, Dad, show her.

I always liked my 6'6 beds on my Dodges. I bought 2 8 foot Power Rams for work and play
0428001234.jpg index.jpeg
And I don't think I can go back(also makes the decision between 1500 and HEAVY DUTY easy)

Truth be told...I still have to use my bed extender. (Women always find more stuff to haul)

And I have parallel parked more in this truck than anyone before.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ive had a 6’4” bed on a 2012 2500 the past 6 years and I can count how many times I actually needed the bed. I knew before I went 1500 shopping that I would eventually be getting a 16-20ft trailer to haul the longer loads so that it would be a problem with the 5’7” bed. So it will come down to how you are going to be using the truck.

As for the ram boxes, I believe I read somewhere that the option for the 6’4” bed isnt going to be available until after they have them in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Ram boxes werent available in 2019 for the heavy duty’s. So maybe in a couple more months there will be options.
RamBox is most definitely available on a 2019 HeavyDuty. The HeavyDuty change is awhile out though.

Stickerhead

Reaction score
Buddy of mine has these!
f818df831a15c9afb7bc35514d97fc46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scenicroute9

Reaction score
Hi all --thanks for the feedback. Lots of things to consider that I hadn't thought of before.

I got mine ordered a couple weeks ago and went with the 5'7 bed with RamBoxes and MFT

pber1

Reaction score
Hi everyone - new member here. I've been without a truck for a few years and after some test driving and convincing the wife that we need a truck, I've decided on a Ram. Based on local inventory (pacific nw), I'm going to be ordering a 2020 1500 limited crew cab (I like the blue/grey interior and it is super hard to find out here).

A search for advice (maybe not the right forum to add on a question?)

I'm a bit torn regarding bed length. I feel like the 6'4 bed is the best option for a truck - hauling plywood, landscape supplies, etc. But I really like the idea of the ram box. My dealer tells me the 6'4 rambox is an option on their order sheet, but its "restricted" at the moment. Based on searching it doesn't seem like the 6'4 ram box will be an option on the 2020 1500. I'm torn on whether to go short bed with rambox or 6'4 with no rambox.

Is it worth waiting to see if the 6'4 rambox becomes available?
Is the bigger bed worth omitting the rambox?
Is the rambox and shortbed a good combination? (I could also add the multi-function tailgate).

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-Brad
6’4 is the way to go! Rambox is unnecessary you’ll end up packing it with junk you don’t need to be carrying around.

wchach

Reaction score
Hi all --thanks for the feedback. Lots of things to consider that I hadn't thought of before.

I got mine ordered a couple weeks ago and went with the 5'7 bed with RamBoxes and MFT
Congrats. The 5'7" bed with crew cab works great for me. It fits in my garage and I have a Thule TracRac and 12' utility trailer to haul the big stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread