5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed extenders

Skater

Reaction score
I have a 2015 F-150 Platinum. I have the foldable bed extender shown in the picture. Works great because it folds away on the sides of the bed when not in use. Will take some customization to make it fit in a Ram. I ordered a 1500 back in March. Due to COVID-19 and FCA shutting down, waiting for assembly to start back up next week. I hope to have my Ram by late June or early July. Glad the guys at FCA are staying safe and I am not in a rush, so I do not mind waiting to make sure the guys putting my Ram together get to go home to their families at night. When I get my Ram, am putting the bed extender I am taking off my F-150 into it. Careful if your order one of the Ford foldable extenders. There are two different sizes... one for 2009-2014 and another smaller one for 2015-2019 years. You should measure the height of your bed to see which one fits best.

Attachments

• 81BQww4SdyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81BQww4SdyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 157

kiapghff

Reaction score
I have a 2015 F-150 Platinum. I have the foldable bed extender shown in the picture. Works great because it folds away on the sides of the bed when not in use. Will take some customization to make it fit in a Ram. I ordered a 1500 back in March. Due to COVID-19 and FCA shutting down, waiting for assembly to start back up next week. I hope to have my Ram by late June or early July. Glad the guys at FCA are staying safe and I am not in a rush, so I do not mind waiting to make sure the guys putting my Ram together get to go home to their families at night. When I get my Ram, am putting the bed extender I am taking off my F-150 into it. Careful if your order one of the Ford foldable extenders. There are two different sizes... one for 2009-2014 and another smaller one for 2015-2019 years. You should measure the height of your bed to see which one fits best.
thanks for the info. I ended up going with an AMP. It came today so I will put it on here in the next few days.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks for the info. I ended up going with an AMP. It came today so I will put it on here in the next few days.
Post your impressions on the AMP if you will. Right now I am trying to decide between the AMP and the MOPAR. I like that AMP has a V shape and a U shape; but I'm not sure which I would prefer.

kiapghff

Reaction score
Post your impressions on the AMP if you will. Right now I am trying to decide between the AMP and the MOPAR. I like that AMP has a V shape and a U shape; but I'm not sure which I would prefer.
Well Billy James, I went to my buddy’s garage to put it together and found out that i need the bracket that goes with it. I have the BAK Revolver 4 and it won’t flip up into the bed. Whoops, should’ve read everything. It’s coming Saturday, I will have it in on Monday and pictures that day.
I did get the U shape one fyi. The material seems good and wasn’t too hard to put together.

Ride2little

Reaction score
Anyone recommend there favorite bed extender? I want to get one for my short bed. Thanks

0dede48f5b4d144bf79c94f80ff6ddda.jpg

I think this one’s kinda neat.

Last edited:

kiapghff

Reaction score
Well tried to put the extender in and would not work with my BAK 4 tanneau cover because it hits the locking mechanism of the cover. So I ordered the spacer kit and Im gonna try and see if that works.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Amp HD Bed Extender and it is by far the most frequently used accessory I have purchased for my Ram. My only gripe is I wish it could break down and fold away like Ford's f-150 bed-extender. Man that thing was great.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well tried to put the extender in and would not work with my BAK 4 tanneau cover because it hits the locking mechanism of the cover. So I ordered the spacer kit and Im gonna try and see if that works.
I had this problem on my 2017 Rebel after I added the Mopar (made by Amp) bed extender. The locking mechanism for my TruxEdo bed cover wouldn't allow me to pivot the bed extender. I bought a set of quick disconnect mounts for the bed extender and it took care of the problem. I still couldn't pivot the thing, but it was simple to remove to change positions. They are made by Amp...

JimD007

Reaction score
I use and like this, but it is different from what others have shown: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008BKX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Up to 10 feet long I just put in the bed with the tailgate down, put a ratchet strap around the load to hold everything together and then use another strap or two to pull the load firmly into the bed so it doesn't slide out. It has worked great on 2x4s and drywall. 12 foot or longer I will use the illustrated device to support the load. I have used it a few times for light stuff, molding, in the vertical mode that was as much as 17 feet long. I that case you need a bar on the cab too. Worked great. Kind of needs a bungie or two to keep it from rattling though.

sd2134

Reaction score
Kept my AMP bed extender from my 2006 F150. Took it apart painted black to match my RAM. Lined it up, leveled it and mounted with universal brackets.

Skater

Reaction score
Finally got it installed. It took about 30 minutes and three holes on each side of the bed, one for the screw, and two for the plunger stop to insert at the top and bottom of the sides of the bed to hold the extender in place.

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 5.09.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 5.09.01 PM.png

STR

Reaction score
Another vote for the AMP Research BedXtender. I’ve had it on several other trucks too w/good results.

tpoony

Reaction score
I am looking to see what bed extender would fit with my MX4 cover. Did you end up successfully installing the extender? Any advise or insights post install?

joace

Reaction score
Yeah, same new owner of 2020 limited w/o Rambox, w/o MFT is also looking MX4 and AMP extender, any comment whether they work well together? Especially the extender can pivot in the bed w/o hitting cover rail or locking mech, thanks!

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Hey folks - question for those with bed extenders: once installed, can you remove the extender? If I was hauling stone in the bed, or something else and didn't want the extender in while doing so, is there a means to easily remove it? As of now, probably going to go with the AMP research, but curious if it can be removed.

Users who are viewing this thread