5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed extender or Cargo divider?

Rabble-Rouser

Reaction score
After installing installing the backflip I notice I'm having to guess where the stuff in the back or my truck will he when I open the lid. Ok, small problem. Solvable. Figuring i want to do a cargo divider but ik thinking doing s bed extender makes more senses. 350 days of the year it will save as a cargo hold at the back of the bed. The other 15 days it'll do more. Anyone have a flip out bed extender under their Tonneau? Any issues with height or it hitting the bolt on rails for the cover when you want to flip it open?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bluedog

Reaction score
Following...

After installing installing the backflip I notice I'm having to guess where the stuff in the back or my truck will he when I open the lid. Ok, small problem. Solvable. Figuring i want to do a cargo divider but ik thinking doing s bed extender makes more senses. 350 days of the year it will save as a cargo hold at the back of the bed. The other 15 days it'll do more. Anyone have a flip out bed extender under their Tonneau? Any issues with height or it hitting the bolt on rails for the cover when you want to flip it open?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I have the AMP HD U-shape bed extender under my Lomax tonneau cover. Fits great and is overall awesome. Can close the lid no problem. No issues with it hitting rails or anything when flipping open. It is great.

Ram1500_G

Reaction score
i bought the divider and MX4, along with tiedown rails. I had to send the divider back. For the non-rambox bed it is stupid, it covers the rails where the tie hooks are.

I'm looking at extender bars or a bed extender also. TBD.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bed extenders can be adjusted for fit. Meaning width wise. I had to add home made spacers (1.5” pvc) to allow my extender clearance for the tonneau lever release. I added a few hooks to the extender to help hold groceries in place.

j517

Reaction score
Get the separator
0ea8015a8525ba03ab5e29f40b6834d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Bakflip MX4 with Amp bed extender.. No problems at all. You can fit a good amount of stuff between the tailgate and the extender (fold up chairs, 4 ft ladder ect..) it's also perfect for propane tanks. I didn't want the Ram bed a extender that attached to the rails.
26561 26562

Bigalh79

Reaction score
Bakflip MX4 with Amp bed extender.. No problems at all. You can fit a good amount of stuff between the tailgate and the extender (fold up chairs, 4 ft ladder ect..) it's also perfect for propane tanks. I didn't want the Ram bed a extender that attached to the rails.
View attachment 26561 View attachment 26562
What is the part number for the amp research bed extender, does it fit with the factory rails ?

Ram1984

Reaction score
I dont have a cover,, but have the amp bed extender max and Oem rails. Everything fits and works fine.

Attachments

• D70B9CC7-52A6-4826-938B-2634A2A4878A.jpeg
    D70B9CC7-52A6-4826-938B-2634A2A4878A.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 178

Caprock

Reaction score
I just recently bought a 2019 Ram and am considering installing an Access Lorado cover along with an Amp Research Max extender, and am concerned about the clearance of the bed cover rails and the edge of the extender. The pics that Trfnj74 provided with his extender and the Bakflip MX4 give me a decent reference, but It appears (through online pics) that the rails on the Access cover may be a little wider than the Bakflip rails. Trfnj74, do you know the width of the Bakflip rails? How much clearance is there between the edge of the rail and the extender rails as it is swung open / closed past the top rail?

Trfnj74

Reaction score
I just recently bought a 2019 Ram and am considering installing an Access Lorado cover along with an Amp Research Max extender, and am concerned about the clearance of the bed cover rails and the edge of the extender. The pics that Trfnj74 provided with his extender and the Bakflip MX4 give me a decent reference, but It appears (through online pics) that the rails on the Access cover may be a little wider than the Bakflip rails. Trfnj74, do you know the width of the Bakflip rails? How much clearance is there between the edge of the rail and the extender rails as it is swung open / closed past the top rail?

I can take these measurements this evening after work or sometime on Friday and get back to you.

Trfnj74

Reaction score

I took a few measurements for you.. I think those are what you are asking for.

27493 27494 27498

Caprock

Reaction score
Great pics and measurements. That is exactly what I was looking for. That is plenty of clearance with your extender & cover combination. Thanks again.

QuasarZ

Reaction score
I was talking with another member and there are issues with the divider and the cover. There isn’t enough space with most harder covers to latch down with the rails of divider. Only soft roll up will work with the divider. I have the divider and was looking into covers. However, I will say the divider is mighty handy. Also in regards to comment above, the adjustable hooks still work, the rails aren’t in the way. You do have to reach around them but they still slide and function.

Caprock

Reaction score
Thanks again to Trfnj74 for supplying the good pics and measurements. I was about to order the Access Lorado cover along with the Amp Research Max extender, but found out that I would have not been able to swing the extender in or out due to clearance issues. The Access rails are 3" wide as are many bed cover rails. There is a work around which consists of adding shims to the extender brackets and narrowing the width of the extender. Also, AR has some brackets with latches that would have allowed the extender to be removed and then reinstalled into the brackets when you want the extender in or out. Neither option sounded good to me. I ended up ordering the Mopar hard tri-fold cover which others claim is a Mopar branded Bakflip MX4.

Users who are viewing this thread