5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed extender or Cargo divider?

t-rock9

Reaction score
Is anyone using the Mopar soft tri-fold tonneau cover with either of the Amp Research bed extenders (the Max U-shaped or the Sport traditonal/angled shape), or the Mopar bed extender? I already have the Mopar soft tonneau and would like to choose a bed extender that will minimize any interference with the tonneau clamp handles.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone using the Mopar soft tri-fold tonneau cover with either of the Amp Research bed extenders (the Max U-shaped or the Sport traditonal/angled shape), or the Mopar bed extender? I already have the Mopar soft tonneau and would like to choose a bed extender that will minimize any interference with the tonneau clamp handles.
Yes, but I have RamBoxes and the awesome divider/extender that goes with that bed. I presume you’re talking about the one that hangs from the rails.

Mamba

Reaction score
Bakflip MX4 with Amp bed extender.. No problems at all. You can fit a good amount of stuff between the tailgate and the extender (fold up chairs, 4 ft ladder ect..) it's also perfect for propane tanks. I didn't want the Ram bed a extender that attached to the rails.
View attachment 26561 View attachment 26562
I was under the impression there would be a clearance issue with the tonneau closed and amp extender inside the bed. Thanks for the post!!!

tpoony

Reaction score
Bakflip MX4 with Amp bed extender.. No problems at all. You can fit a good amount of stuff between the tailgate and the extender (fold up chairs, 4 ft ladder ect..) it's also perfect for propane tanks. I didn't want the Ram bed a extender that attached to the rails.
View attachment 26561 View attachment 26562
@Trfnj74 This is exactly the combo I am thinking about. I already have the MX4 installed on my 5.7" w/o RAM box with BUG. I had already bought the Mopar divider but it will need a bunch of mods on the divider rail in order to make it work. Thinking to change direction and buy an extender instead. I am slightly hesitant in drilling into the bed (i have factory spray in bed-liner). Would you mind snapping a couple photos of the places where you had to drill? Any tips and advise after having got thru the install?

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
@Trfnj74 This is exactly the combo I am thinking about. I already have the MX4 installed on my 5.7" w/o RAM box with BUG. I had already bought the Mopar divider but it will need a bunch of mods on the divider rail in order to make it work. Thinking to change direction and buy an extender instead. I am slightly hesitant in drilling into the bed (i have factory spray in bed-liner). Would you mind snapping a couple photos of the places where you had to drill? Any tips and advise after having got thru the install?
I do not have any photos but I will say the drilling is not too bad and I wouldnt be afraid of it. I have the amp extender and lomax cover. It is a little tricky finding the EXACT location with the BUG linex type material for the drill hole locations but just need to get it approximate as it will work fine. They give you a paper template to line up for the drill holes that works well. My main tip is to get yourself a good new drill bit. I broke an older drill bit I had when trying to drill through the linex type material. New drill bit worked fine.

joace

Reaction score
Thanks Trfnj74! With your photos, i had the confidence to order the same combo - Bakflip MX4 and AMP BedXtender HD MAX, crossing fingers, they come in early and 0 issue on the installation.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Thanks Trfnj74! With your photos, i had the confidence to order the same combo - Bakflip MX4 and AMP BedXtender HD MAX, crossing fingers, they come in early and 0 issue on the installation.
No need to cross your fingers on the installation. It'll go fine.

Shark2eatu

Reaction score
Get the separator
0ea8015a8525ba03ab5e29f40b6834d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Who makes that? Does it work with the OEM rails?

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I went another way.

My Laramie doesn't have Ram boxes but did come with the BUG. For a bed divider, I lucked out. Since this truck came with the bed package, it has the rails and movable tie-down points in it already. In my pile of ever-growing junk, I had a new cargo net for a Chrysler 200. This was placed in the trunk of our former 2017 Charger R/T by mistake. It wasn't long enough to work in the Charger's trunk. So the dealership gave us another one that did fit and the dealer didn't want the one we got back.

tirepressure04-jpg.100155

Turned out it's a pretty perfect fit. All I need to do was install a cargo jack below it to hold it down. This should be perfect to keep groceries and other relatively light stuff from sliding to the front of the bed.

tirepressure05-jpg.100156

My sweetie is really happy with this setup. ;)

tonneau01-jpg.100158

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the standard bed with the Amp bed extender and the Truxedo bed cover. With the standard Amp mpounts, the extender locks in by being inserted into the mount at a 45* angle, then set into place. The Truxedo rail system doesn't allow the Amp bed extender to lift to a 45* angle to flip it or to remove it. I found a new mount system from Amp to address this this. Each mount now has a quick release lever that I can just lift the extender out of the mount and flip it, or remove it.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Cargo bar. $30
agreed - plus (2) 27 gallon totes that fit perfectly side-by-side to hold everything. When I have stuff to put back there, pop the lids on the totes, put the stuff in, then carry the full totes inside for emptying. Makes helping with grocery shopping a LOT easier - 2 trips in and done.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've considered a bed extender and this thread has increased my interest. I can figure out the positives for me, but what are the drawbacks, if any to having one? I do have a Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover and the bed utility group, for what it's worth.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The drawback is having it in the bed when you unexpectantly pick something up that requires the entire bed and there's no place to put the bed extender. I used to run with a 2x6 in the slots in the side of the bed, but that didn't provide enough space from the tailgate to the 2x6. If I needed to pick something up, the 2x6 could easily lay underneath or along side the cargo.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The drawback is having it in the bed when you unexpectantly pick something up that requires the entire bed and there's no place to put the bed extender. I used to run with a 2x6 in the slots in the side of the bed, but that didn't provide enough space from the tailgate to the 2x6. If I needed to pick something up, the 2x6 could easily lay underneath or along side the cargo.
The OEM folding version can be locked at the very front of the bed, getting it mostly out of the way. Then again, it can also be used as an extender…giving you more bed than you’d have without it ;)

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But if you needed the entire bed, couldn't you just open the tailgate and flip the extender out?

I'm also wondering if that didn't work, could I just remove it and would it fit on the back floor of the cab?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you need the entire bed with the tailgate down, the cargo bar can be retracted and even put in the cab. Easy peasy

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you need the entire bed with the tailgate down, the cargo bar can be retracted and even put in the cab. Easy peasy
I actually have a cargo bar that we use with the drop in bedline of our 96 F150. It works especially well because the liner has "grooves" for a 2x4 all down the length of the bed, and the feet of the cargo bar fit in them perfectly.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But if you needed the entire bed, couldn't you just open the tailgate and flip the extender out?

I'm also wondering if that didn't work, could I just remove it and would it fit on the back floor of the cab?
Yes to all, although I would never place it inside the cab. I’d just place it inside the bed on top of whatever I had in there. Or you can flip it up, or remove it completely, place your load in the bed, then replace it in its brackets and let it rest on top of the load. I have one installed, have a hard folding tonneau, and the bug as well. No issues. It’s a pretty easy/simple set up.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes to all, although I would never place it inside the cab. I’d just place it inside the bed on top of whatever I had in there. Or you can flip it up, or remove it completely, place your load in the bed, then replace it in its brackets and let it rest on top of the load. I have one installed, have a hard folding tonneau, and the bug as well. No issues. It’s a pretty easy/simple set up.
I bought and installed one. I don't know why I didn't think about moving it to another part of the bed once removed.

Users who are viewing this thread