5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed drain holes

sandrinm68

Reaction score
My dealer sent the truck out pre-purchase to have a spray-in bedliner installed. I’m not sure if there are supposed to be drain holes at the front of the bed but if so, it looks like they sprayed over them. Now the bed holds water if I park nose down.

Does anyone have a picture of the drains? If they’re there, I’d like to open them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes their are drain holes or slits at the front, my truck does not hold any water when parked nose down.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, they are slots in the bed for drainage. Need to get those opened up.

smashweights

Reaction score
There's one about 1-2" wide dead center up front. Mine gets clogged a lot though, any suggestions to improve drainage? I park nose down in the driveway and most rainfall leads to a bucket in the back

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
I
There's one about 1-2" wide dead center up front. Mine gets clogged a lot though, any suggestions to improve drainage? I park nose down in the driveway and most rainfall leads to a bucket in the back
I'd be interested to hear more ideas about this as well. My Superduty had far larger gaps in the front of the bed and drained well. The gaps for drainage in the Ram bed quickly fill up with debris because they are so small.

sandrinm68

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic. I found that one and cut the liner to open it up. But yes, still clogs easily because it is so small.

There are also two in the corners that I was able to tweak a little wider wiTh a large flat screwdriver. This doesn’t work on the center one though because it is welded on both sides of the gap.

res

Reaction score
Yeah, they are slots in the bed for drainage. Need to get those opened up.
I just used a crowbar to open up the little slit drain holes to about 3/8", no boring required

res

Reaction score
I

I'd be interested to hear more ideas about this as well. My Superduty had far larger gaps in the front of the bed and drained well. The gaps for drainage in the Ram bed quickly fill up with debris because they are so small.
the "drain holes" are just little slits. I used a crowbar to open them up to about 3/8 inches. No drilling in my pickup bed.

res

Reaction score
My dealer sent the truck out pre-purchase to have a spray-in bedliner installed. I’m not sure if there are supposed to be drain holes at the front of the bed but if so, it looks like they sprayed over them. Now the bed holds water if I park nose down.

Does anyone have a picture of the drains? If they’re there, I’d like to open them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the "drains" are just little slits. Anything sprayed in the bed would totally cover them.
I just used a crowbar to open up the little slit drain holes to about 3/8", no boring required
You might go look at a new truck to see where they are supposed to be.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
the "drain holes" are just little slits. I used a crowbar to open them up to about 3/8 inches. No drilling in my pickup bed.
So what you are saying is you used a crowbar to open up the holes. Probably cracked the paint. Need to watch for corrosion now.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine was spray lined correctly, space is open, but it clogs up so easily.

res

Reaction score
Yes, he used the crowbar about four times. :LOL:
My tip was a general idea. The crowbar worked. I didn't have to use it 4 times. It didn't crack the paint. We are talking about drain holes in a pickup bed. Usually pickup beds get a lot more dings and damage than enlarged drain holes. Anything done to create drain holes will have the possibility of rust. It is true that I didn't give a list of steps to follow. I figured that anybody reading about this topic on a website like this could probably figure out the details regarding paint and rust protection if they are worried about it. If you don't have a crowbar or don't know what one is, you probably wouldn't benefit from this idea.

CatDaddy66

Reaction score
Thanks for the picture, with only one drain hole, I guess installing a retractable tonneau cover will be an issue, since 2 drain holes are needed up front.
Not really, there is a hole on either side of the bed directly in front of the bed tiedowns, the drain tubes should go there.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have an idea. Let's revive an old thread, and beat that dead horse. With a crowbar. And another crowbar. And another crowbar. And another crowbar.

Users who are viewing this thread