5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed cover for truck with Ramboxes?

zerophi

Reaction score
People keep posting UnderCover Armor Flex yet I don't see anywhere on their website a cover for RAMBOX's????

hoppy

Reaction score
I have questions about the BAK Revolver X4 that I haven't seen addressed in any reviews or videos. My 2021 Ram 1500 Limited, crew cab, with ramboxes was ordered July 9. I see issues discussed here about quality control and fit that are bothersome. It doesn't seem to be as water resistant as the BAK MX4 (which would be my second choice because of blocking the window) from the little bit I can find. But I wonder about the mechanism in the locking channel and whether it might get plugged up with dust and debri and cause problems. Any experience with this or more info on water leaks?

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Just installed the turxedo sentry CT
It took me about 30 minutes to install looks great! And gas mileage seems to have gotten better just filled th tank and reset everything so I’ll know once the tanks empty

hunter1234

Reaction score
I have questions about the BAK Revolver X4 that I haven't seen addressed in any reviews or videos. My 2021 Ram 1500 Limited, crew cab, with ramboxes was ordered July 9. I see issues discussed here about quality control and fit that are bothersome. It doesn't seem to be as water resistant as the BAK MX4 (which would be my second choice because of blocking the window) from the little bit I can find. But I wonder about the mechanism in the locking channel and whether it might get plugged up with dust and debri and cause problems. Any experience with this or more info on water leaks?
I can give you some idea, I had a BK X2 on my 2016 and never had an issue with the locking mechanism even with all the snow and cold. The top would get a little stiff in the winter but if you take it slow and get the snow clear it still rolled up and the locking mechanism function perfectly. I just installed the X4 on the 2020, I did not get the RAM box in either vehicle, and it went in well and fit sung. It looks like they improved some of the weather stripping, adding more to the back. That was the one place water would get in on the X2 during a car wash, or a heavy rain if the truck was parked and it was coming towards the back of the truck, it would make the last 3-4 inches of the bed damp. The X4 has a thick weather stripping on the back that the tails gate seals against, time will tell if it works better but it should. I do like the continuous locking the rail provides and the cover has always appeared very secure. The rails on the X4 are basically the same but the cover in the Matte finish is different, I will be curious how it performs through the winter but I do like the finish better.

Bo3liwe

Reaction score
People keep posting UnderCover Armor Flex yet I don't see anywhere on their website a cover for RAMBOX's????
I have one on my limited with rambox. I ordered direct from tonneaucovered.com
And It was shipped to me to the State of Kuwait
*I will attach pictures tonight

hoppy

Reaction score
I can give you some idea, I had a BK X2 on my 2016 and never had an issue with the locking mechanism even with all the snow and cold. The top would get a little stiff in the winter but if you take it slow and get the snow clear it still rolled up and the locking mechanism function perfectly. I just installed the X4 on the 2020, I did not get the RAM box in either vehicle, and it went in well and fit sung. It looks like they improved some of the weather stripping, adding more to the back. That was the one place water would get in on the X2 during a car wash, or a heavy rain if the truck was parked and it was coming towards the back of the truck, it would make the last 3-4 inches of the bed damp. The X4 has a thick weather stripping on the back that the tails gate seals against, time will tell if it works better but it should. I do like the continuous locking the rail provides and the cover has always appeared very secure. The rails on the X4 are basically the same but the cover in the Matte finish is different, I will be curious how it performs through the winter but I do like the finish better.
I really appreciate your response. I was thinking maybe my question was buried too deep to be seen. I've never done any of this forum stuff and still don't know exactly how to go about it. After a ton of research the X4 is the perfect tonneau for me if I get a good copy and it works the way it's supposed to and I'm glad to hear your experience with them.

hunter1234

Reaction score
If you are going to install it, take your time. One issue I had was the front weather-stripping was fused together so I bought a replacement from the local hardware store for about 6 dollars - did not want to wait. The key installation is on the rails, they need to be square and though I did it myself a second pair of hands would have been nice to apply some (not a lot) of downward pressure on the rail while I tightened the clamp. You can do it yourself just would have been a little faster. I do tighten the bolts to 10 ft. lbs. per spec for mine and no more or you may damage the truck rail. If you do not have a torque wrench - borrow one or buy as they are relatively cheap and I use it to tighten my wheel lugs as well as a lot of other stuff in my shop. Definitely test roll the cover a few times before tightening the screws that hold the cover to the rails near the cab, you can adjust the cover a little side to side and front to back to make sure it travels on the rails right and completely latches at the back. The one thing I do use on the top that is recommended for cleaning is "303 Aerospace Protectant" , I used it on my old one and most of my vinyl stuff and it is a great UV protector for the cover as well as other applicable areas inside and out on the truck. The previous one went 4 years in the sun, cold, and snow and looked new when I sold it. Good luck, I do like the top and hopefully I will get many years out of it.

Wachto

Reaction score

Just installed my X4 2 weeks ago right before we took an 800 mile trip with rain 2/3 of the way. Only had an extremely small amount of leaking. Leak came from the front corners where the weatherstripping didn't quite meet (1/8"-1/4" gap). A lil clear silicone this week and 3 inches of rain later and its dry as a bone. Installation was very easy. Did it myself in 45 min, 30min was of me adjusting and readjusting the cover to get it exactly square (I work as an engineer and tend get OCD about straight lines). If you do install yourself be sure to check the rail height when first shutting your tailgate. My driver side utility rail was an 1/8" low and would have gouged the tailgate cap if I wasn't careful. The tonneau rail height is based on your utility rail height so you might need the "feather" your utility rail height to get a nice snug (and not damaging) fit. Very impressed with the X4 quality and performance thus far.

hoppy

Reaction score
If you are going to install it, take your time. One issue I had was the front weather-stripping was fused together so I bought a replacement from the local hardware store for about 6 dollars - did not want to wait. The key installation is on the rails, they need to be square and though I did it myself a second pair of hands would have been nice to apply some (not a lot) of downward pressure on the rail while I tightened the clamp. You can do it yourself just would have been a little faster. I do tighten the bolts to 10 ft. lbs. per spec for mine and no more or you may damage the truck rail. If you do not have a torque wrench - borrow one or buy as they are relatively cheap and I use it to tighten my wheel lugs as well as a lot of other stuff in my shop. Definitely test roll the cover a few times before tightening the screws that hold the cover to the rails near the cab, you can adjust the cover a little side to side and front to back to make sure it travels on the rails right and completely latches at the back. The one thing I do use on the top that is recommended for cleaning is "303 Aerospace Protectant" , I used it on my old one and most of my vinyl stuff and it is a great UV protector for the cover as well as other applicable areas inside and out on the truck. The previous one went 4 years in the sun, cold, and snow and looked new when I sold it. Good luck, I do like the top and hopefully I will get many years out of it.
Thank you for this valuable and detail information. Just what I was looking for.

hoppy

Reaction score
Just installed my X4 2 weeks ago right before we took an 800 mile trip with rain 2/3 of the way. Only had an extremely small amount of leaking. Leak came from the front corners where the weatherstripping didn't quite meet (1/8"-1/4" gap). A lil clear silicone this week and 3 inches of rain later and its dry as a bone. Installation was very easy. Did it myself in 45 min, 30min was of me adjusting and readjusting the cover to get it exactly square (I work as an engineer and tend get OCD about straight lines). If you do install yourself be sure to check the rail height when first shutting your tailgate. My driver side utility rail was an 1/8" low and would have gouged the tailgate cap if I wasn't careful. The tonneau rail height is based on your utility rail height so you might need the "feather" your utility rail height to get a nice snug (and not damaging) fit. Very impressed with the X4 quality and performance thus far.
Thank you for relating your experience. I'm a little OCD too. I can hardly wait to get started. Just need a truck first.

Users who are viewing this thread