5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed cover for Rambox Short Bed?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking for options for a 2020 Laramie, 5’7” bed with ramboxes and no multi-function tailgate. I see plenty of other threads on tonneau covers, but didn’t see any specific to this application.

I definitely want a folding or roll-up cover, and need to retain function of the ram boxes. I also have the bed rail utility kit, and I’m hopeful to find a cover that allows me to continue using the adjustable tie downs. Also, if I could have my cake and eat it too, I’d love to keep the self-opening tailgate functional.

I’m open to options for either soft or hard cover. Very curious to see pics of any options you have or have seen!

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was on same hunt a few months back. You have the option of bakflip. Which is on the high end and most expensive. Definitely nice cover if you can justify the cost Then there are some vinyl roll ups and trifolds. I ended up going with the below because I got it for under $300 as it was open box return. The trifold suits me as I hardly need full bed access and don't keep valuables stored overnight. I like the canvas option because the vinyl will usually fade and dry out over time.

Extang Trifecta Signature 2.0 Soft Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover | 94424 | Fits 2019-20 Dodge RAM Rambox "New Body Style" 5'7" Bed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8P8MJD/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_v9pzEbV4CGC0K

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was on same hunt a few months back. You have the option of bakflip. Which is on the high end and most expensive. Definitely nice cover if you can justify the cost Then there are some vinyl roll ups and trifolds. I ended up going with the below because I got it for under $300 as it was open box return. The trifold suits me as I hardly need full bed access and don't keep valuables stored overnight. I like the canvas option because the vinyl will usually fade and dry out over time.

Extang Trifecta Signature 2.0 Soft Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover | 94424 | Fits 2019-20 Dodge RAM Rambox "New Body Style" 5'7" Bed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8P8MJD/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_v9pzEbV4CGC0K

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info.

Any concerns with cover noise while driving? I’ve never had a fabric cover. Not necessarily against going that route, just as long as it doesn’t flap in the wind and become obnoxious.

Sounds like you scored a great price. That link has then at $500!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for options for a 2020 Laramie, 5’7” bed with ramboxes and no multi-function tailgate. I see plenty of other threads on tonneau covers, but didn’t see any specific to this application.

I definitely want a folding or roll-up cover, and need to retain function of the ram boxes. I also have the bed rail utility kit, and I’m hopeful to find a cover that allows me to continue using the adjustable tie downs. Also, if I could have my cake and eat it too, I’d love to keep the self-opening tailgate functional.

I’m open to options for either soft or hard cover. Very curious to see pics of any options you have or have seen!
The factory soft tri-fold has served me well so far.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I have the Retrax Pro and I love it. The quality is amazing and the functionality is great.

fe9f4e0a200fd40b2235d4f2a837dcbd.jpg

33db7ceb2280d7c8acc106456c90e6f5.jpg

0d1e9622bd9c81ef6b60cbc59656e251.jpg

393994c85b74eb11572b5c9fb8dce6d5.jpg

e600283251d09881eed3342180e28fdf.jpg

5dbe025844c2bed4ead699e57021d5fa.jpg

2be89651742d0482a1d235e95951dbc6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That Retrax is definitely sharp, I love how flat they sit. I am not a huge fan of how much width the rails take up, specifically on the Rambox which already has a narrow bed. Still, seems like it may be the highest quality “hard” cover option... so I’m considering it.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for that info.

Any concerns with cover noise while driving? I’ve never had a fabric cover. Not necessarily against going that route, just as long as it doesn’t flap in the wind and become obnoxious.

Sounds like you scored a great price. That link has then at $500!
Yes definetly did well on price, Amazon tends to lower these open boxes the longer they have then. No issues is with noise or flapping, the canvas has a vinyl or plastic backing which makes it water proof. I do notice the cover sags slightly between frame after a rain but returns to tight shape after it dries, I assume it water that is absorbed into cover and weighing it down(just a guess). Very pleased with it being water tight as I read plenty of stories about other covers. The most I have seen is few drops.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I highly recommend the BAK Revolver X4 I have on my Longhorn. I had its predecessor on my 2013 Laramie for 6 years and it held up well

_StangPGH

Reaction score
I highly recommend the BAK Revolver X4 I have on my Longhorn. I had its predecessor on my 2013 Laramie for 6 years and it held up well
Second that. I had the original Roll-X as they called it on a gen 1 Raptor for 5 years with no issues. Then I had the Revolver (improved design) on a Tundra for 2 years also no issues.

Now I have this ugly POS stock trifold on the Rebel but I can't see swapping it out when I can use the cash for other mods and it does the job just adequently enough.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WilburNJ

Reaction score
Second that. I had the original Roll-X as they called it on a gen 1 Raptor for 5 years with no issues. Then I had the Revolver (improved design) on a Tundra for 2 years also no issues.

Now I have this ugly POS stock trifold on the Rebel but I can't see swapping it out when I can use the cash for other mods and it does the job just adequently enough.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hey Strange, did you ever upgrade your tonneau cover from the stock trifold to the X4?

I just had the Bak Revolver X4 delivered today and opened up the box this evening. Unfortunately, I discovered that the rails on the truck now is some special OEM rails (black) that only work with the “POS stock trifold”, as you called it. So, in order to install the X4, I need to purchase the simple rails that come with the DT w/ rambox and without the factory trifold. It’s silver and sits below the top of the bed. Those original silver rails cost almost $300. So, I’m now stuck deciding whether to go buy the silver rails or return the X4 for a refund. I wish Bak Industries warned me about this before my purchase. Bak doesn’t have any customer service hours over the weekend, so I’ll have to call on Monday to see if they have a solution that’s cheaper than buying the silver rails.

Anyway, I wanted to give you the heads up on this. I think those of us with the factory trifold will probably need to buy the silver rails if we’re ever going to swap out the factory trifold. When looking at other installs (including photos from the retractable cover in this thread), the rails from the cover manufacturers always seem to slide into the silver OEM rails.

Here are the links to the two types of rails:

Best,

Will

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Strange, did you ever upgrade your tonneau cover from the stock trifold to the X4?

I just had the Bak Revolver X4 delivered today and opened up the box this evening. Unfortunately, I discovered that the rails on the truck now is some special OEM rails (black) that only work with the “POS stock trifold”, as you called it. So, in order to install the X4, I need to purchase the simple rails that come with the DT w/ rambox and without the factory trifold. It’s silver and sits below the top of the bed. Those original silver rails cost almost $300. So, I’m now stuck deciding whether to go buy the silver rails or return the X4 for a refund. I wish Bak Industries warned me about this before my purchase. Bak doesn’t have any customer service hours over the weekend, so I’ll have to call on Monday to see if they have a solution that’s cheaper than buying the silver rails.

Anyway, I wanted to give you the heads up on this. I think those of us with the factory trifold will probably need to buy the silver rails if we’re ever going to swap out the factory trifold. When looking at other installs (including photos from the retractable cover in this thread), the rails from the cover manufacturers always seem to slide into the silver OEM rails.

Best,

Will

Thanks Will, I appreciate that heads up.

I personally only want a cover that allows use of my factory bed rails. I’ll definitely take the X4 off of my list based on this feedback.

omamatt

Reaction score

Best,

Will
I'm confused as to which ones are needed? My truck came w/ the OEM Vinyl Tri-Fold and Rambox. Rails are Black.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I have a Mopar tri-fold for sale, $350 (plus shipping), after going to the Retrax Pro MX as well...send me a PM if interested...

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
I have the extang trifecta 2.0.trifold cover for my truck. Never get any water in the bed even during the heaviest rain+ snow and ice.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I'm confused as to which ones are needed? My truck came w/ the OEM Vinyl Tri-Fold and Rambox. Rails are Black.
If your Rambox equipped truck DID NOT come with a factory cover the rails will work with the BAK Revolver X4. That is how my truck is and it took only a few minutes to install the cover.
However, if your truck came from Ram with the factory tri fold cover, you will not have the proper rails. I don’t know what is different about the rails.

omamatt

Reaction score
The more I research the more I believe the following are the differences:
1. Black rails sit flush with top of RamBox where silver rails sit below.
2. Black rails are smooth and solid on top where silver rails have ‘slot’ down the middle.

That’s what I see as being different.

Anyone else see the difference?

WilburNJ

Reaction score
The more I research the more I believe the following are the differences:
1. Black rails sit flush with top of RamBox where silver rails sit below.
2. Black rails are smooth and solid on top where silver rails have ‘slot’ down the middle.

That’s what I see as being different.

Anyone else see the difference?

That's exactly right. I have the black, and not much out there that work with the black rails. The only ones I found so far are the Diamondback covers and the American Roll Cover by Truck Covers USA. I like both of these, but they are pretty pricey....

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just looking around. Retrax has a 15% off and free shipping sale this weekend until 4/13.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I can confirm, if you have the Black Appearance Group and the black rails, they will NOT work with the Retrax line of products. Believe me when I tell you, even Retrax is confused by this (several calls and e-mails and a request to revise their website, which they didn't change).

You'll need the silver Mopar rails, if you wish to replace your OEM tri-fold with a Retrax product. They are also not cheap. I was cut a deal on mine from the dealer, $135 per rail. I think they retail for closer to $200 each. So, if you have the #ALLBLACKDODGERAM!! like I do...add $400 to your Retrax budgeting.

The silver rail#'s from Mopar for the 5'7" bed with Rambox are; 68027048AD and ...49AD.

Users who are viewing this thread