5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Clearance under Tonneau

nstober1

Reaction score
Hi all, this forum is great and I've learned a ton to help with spec-ing my 2022 Limited build.

I'm planning to purchase a tonneau to install once my Ram arrives but was wondering what the clearance height is beneath the tonneau. I have a tall cooler and am hoping it will fit. I would greatly appreciate it if someone with a similar setup could take a measurement! I ordered the 5'7" bed with Rambox and MFT and am thinking of buying a BakFlip MX4.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I don't have the measurement on hand but I run into the same height issue with Fly racing fuel jugs.
I have to run covers that sit above the rail to get a few extra inches of clearance.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That would all depend on the tonneau cover you install. They are all different

nstober1

Reaction score
I don't have the measurement on hand but I run into the same height issue with Fly racing fuel jugs.
I have to run covers that sit above the rail to get a few extra inches of clearance.
Thanks, that was my concern. I like the flush mount look of the BakFlip MX4 but the extra clearance of higher mount options may be worth it.
The cooler sits about 20" tall and a quick google search shows a few 5gal racing jugs at about 21"-22" so I may be in the same boat as you.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Looks like you would have 21 1/2” from the bed to the top of the rail. Subtract the thickness of the flush mount cover and that reduces pretty quick but I think 20” is still very doable.

My current cover gets me 23” of clearance between the support rails. Hopefully my new one is similar, if not slightly more.
f34ea648d3e3e104b405042b0ee14e72.jpg

nstober1

Reaction score
Looks like you would have 21 1/2” from the bed to the top of the rail. Subtract the thickness of the flush mount cover and that reduces pretty quick but I think 20” is still very doable.

My current cover gets me 23” of clearance between the support rails. Hopefully my new one is similar, if not slightly more.
f34ea648d3e3e104b405042b0ee14e72.jpg
Just what I need, thank you!

jent

Reaction score
I did a quick measure with my MX4. The low part on the MX4 is the bars going across where the handles are. From my bed mat to the bottom of those bars it's almost exactly 20in. My bed mat is 3/8in thick, so without a bed mat I would say it would be right close to 20.5 inches of clearance.

nstober1

Reaction score
I did a quick measure with my MX4. The low part on the MX4 is the bars going across where the handles are. From my bed mat to the bottom of those bars it's almost exactly 20in. My bed mat is 3/8in thick, so without a bed mat I would say it would be right close to 20.5 inches of clearance.
Thank you, very helpful!
I am considering a bedrug too, looks like the cooler will fit without. Will have to take a closer measure once I get the truck/tonneau before pulling the trigger on a bedrug.

Yangster

Reaction score
Hi all, this forum is great and I've learned a ton to help with spec-ing my 2022 Limited build.

I'm planning to purchase a tonneau to install once my Ram arrives but was wondering what the clearance height is beneath the tonneau. I have a tall cooler and am hoping it will fit. I would greatly appreciate it if someone with a similar setup could take a measurement! I ordered the 5'7" bed with Rambox and MFT and am thinking of buying a BakFlip MX4.
I have a 21 Longhorn with Rambox and MFT and bedrug. My tonneau is a Truckcover USA and I have 21 “.

Attachments

• CA77C93D-ECEF-44BC-B8D6-81AF27EE1620.jpeg
    CA77C93D-ECEF-44BC-B8D6-81AF27EE1620.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 63

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, very helpful!
I am considering a bedrug too, looks like the cooler will fit without. Will have to take a closer measure once I get the truck/tonneau before pulling the trigger on a bedrug.
I'm running that same combo, Bakflip MX4 and a Bedrug.
I've got 20.5" clearance from the underside of the cover. As jent noted though, it is slightly lower where the latches/releases are. This is also true for the very end where the weather strip is. On those low areas you'll have 19.5" of clearance.
So, your 20" cooler will fit. You'll just have to make sure it's not under one of the the seams were a latch is, and you will probably have to unlatch the back panel when you slide it into the bed, to get past the rear weather strip.

petersandler

Reaction score

I have a BAK Revolver X4S. Just over 21” from top of bed ribs to bottom ribs on cover. Cover is removable in under 5 minutes via 4 screws if you need more room compared to when it is rolled up. Doesn’t block the rear window view when rolled up or the digital rear view mirror camera like the tri-folds do. All the benefits of a soft roll up with all the benefits of a hard cover.

Attachments

• 6F3077BD-D315-4AC6-9FA6-7CD66DAD8D0C.jpeg
    6F3077BD-D315-4AC6-9FA6-7CD66DAD8D0C.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 51

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a BAK Revolver X4S. Just over 21” from top of bed ribs to bottom ribs on cover. Cover is removable in under 5 minutes via 4 screws if you need more room compared to when it is rolled up. Doesn’t block the rear window view when rolled up or the digital rear view mirror camera like the tri-folds do. All the benefits of a soft roll up with all the benefits of a hard cover.
MX4 doesn't block the mirror camera when folded up. It does block the window, but with the camera it's a non-issue IMHO. Plus it kind of acts like a headache rack at that point.
It folds all the way up to the cab, and can be removed by unscrewing 2 knobs and lifting it away. One person job in under a minute. The Revolver X4S is a good cover, don't get me wrong. Just pointing out that the MX4 doesn't block the camera when folded up like some hard folding covers.

Last edited:

nstober1

Reaction score
MX4 doesn't block the mirror camera when folded up. It does block the window, but with the camera it's a non-issue IMHO.
It folds all the way up to the cab, and can be removed by unscrewing 2 knobs and lifting it away. One person job in under a minute. The Revolver X4S is a good cover, don't get me wrong. Just pointing out that it doesn't block the camera when folded up.
Thanks those are all good points. @petersandler that is a nice looking tonneau cover. Mainly concerned with the bed space taken up by the canister. Given the short bed and Ramboxes, I'm already sacrificing a decent amount of space. Not sure I want to give up more with the revolver canister. Do you ever find yourself wishing you had more room?

I'm also thinking about bolting on some bicycle fork mounts (something like this) to the tonneau to haul bikes while keeping the tonneau closed. I figured I could bolt them to the MX4 in the piece that doesn't fold against the cab. Not sure if I'd have that option with the Revolver as I'd be bolting into the canister itself.

Edit: just realized the revolver is not a canister tonneau but rolls up on top. I'd probably still have a challenge bolting a bicycle fork mount through the roll up cover.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
That's why I like the hard top styles with a bit of a payload like Mountain Top, Diamondback or Renegade.
If it doesnt fit under, just strap it on top.

My new low profile tonneau cover is coming out of BC Canada and should be here next week.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Agreed, that’s why I got the Truxedo Sentry CT. I can measure tomorrow. Keep in mind if you have MFT the Bak won’t fit w/o getting new brackets

petersandler

Reaction score
Agreed, that’s why I got the Truxedo Sentry CT. I can measure tomorrow. Keep in mind if you have MFT the Bak won’t fit w/o getting new brackets
Truxedo says it requires the silver rails as well. They are essentially the same cover, same manufacturer, different brand, with different overlays on top of the cargo rails.

petersandler

Reaction score
Thanks those are all good points. @petersandler that is a nice looking tonneau cover. Mainly concerned with the bed space taken up by the canister. Given the short bed and Ramboxes, I'm already sacrificing a decent amount of space. Not sure I want to give up more with the revolver canister. Do you ever find yourself wishing you had more room?

I'm also thinking about bolting on some bicycle fork mounts (something like this) to the tonneau to haul bikes while keeping the tonneau closed. I figured I could bolt them to the MX4 in the piece that doesn't fold against the cab. Not sure if I'd have that option with the Revolver as I'd be bolting into the canister itself.

Edit: just realized the revolver is not a canister tonneau but rolls up on top. I'd probably still have a challenge bolting a bicycle fork mount through the roll up cover.
Why wouldn't you put a bicycle rack in the hitch receiver?

nstober1

Reaction score
Why wouldn't you put a bicycle rack in the hitch receiver?
Certainly an option. Ideally I’d like to keep the hitch free for a boat. Though considering I don’t currently own a boat I may be over thinking this.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
....I'm also thinking about bolting on some bicycle fork mounts (something like this) to the tonneau to haul bikes while keeping the tonneau closed. I figured I could bolt them to the MX4 in the piece that doesn't fold against the cab....
I don't think you'd have any luck with that. It's actually a very small piece. Probably only about 6" or so and is partly over the bulkhead. Plus if that mount isn't completely removable it would prevent you from folding the cover all the way up because the folded panels sit over that piece when against the cab.

Users who are viewing this thread