5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Cap wiring

awaywego

Reaction score
If I install a bed cap (LEER or A.R.E.), is there easy place on the truck to tap in for power for the cap's brake light?

WIth all the newfangled ways that cirucits work, I don't know if tapping into the brake light circuit would mess up something due to the added electrical load/resistance. Plus, I'd rather not do a splice if there is a ready-made plug or port somewhere in the brake circuit.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

swarggs

Reaction score
There is usually a wire pre installed on the truck for this exact purpose. On my 4th gen it was in the trailer harness behind the rear bumper.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

steindog

Reaction score
There is usually a wire pre installed on the truck for this exact purpose. On my 4th gen it was in the trailer harness behind the rear bumper.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
It took me weeks to finally get this pretty useless reply pasted below from FCA on this very topic. The camper dealers have to now use a logic module that utilizes break light wiring but prevents the 3rd break light from flashing during signaling. Engineers really dropped the ball by deleting that wire in my opinion. Now when the module fails you'll have to dig back into the wiring to replace. LAME!!
"Thanks for your technical inquiry. Your are correct. For the 2019 RAM truck and later, there is no longer a wiring harness break-out for the 3rd stop light (or CHMSL) in application for a box cover or camper top. You may want to see your dealer parts department for other options which are available. We appreciate your RAM loyalty and sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Regards, Marvin, RAM Customer Support

ammdrew

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread