5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDS vs Zone 4" Lift on Non-air ride 4WD w/ Stock 22" Wheels

Vol4Life

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a 4" lift on my 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition with stock 22" wheels, 4WD, and no air ride suspension. I had read that Zone lifts are owned by BDS lifts and that BDS has a better warranty. Besides that, what is the big difference in the $1000 difference in price? Was looking at doing both kits with the upgraded Fox rear shocks (ballpark of $1800 vs $2800 for parts). If the Zone will be a quality kit then I'd rather save that $1000 and spend that on new 35" tires. Thoughts?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: apparently people are confused about the post I made, so I’ll revise it. All I was trying to say is that they are sister companies and several of their parts are made in the same location. The question is what you were actually paying for, whether it be better materials or just a name and some extra warranty. Hopefully I got the point across this time.

Last edited:

IKuenzi

Reaction score
My zone 4” lift will be done today I’ll let you know how it comes out. I chose the zone kit mainly because it’s under the same umbrella as bds. Ultimately they do their research and make a quality kit. If you are not planning on doing a whole lot of off-roading why do you need the bds kit? It’s still better than the ready lift and the rough country. I’m doing fuel rebels and BFG 35’s can’t wait to see it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vol4Life

Reaction score
I was doing some digging into UCA’s this morning and found posts from a guy who worked for BDS. He was talking about the Zone and BDS UCAs being made in the same shop. If he’s telling the truth and the materials are the same for both, then you’re paying $1k extra for extra warranty and the BDS name. Personally, I would just get the Zone kit.
I saw that UCAs are an option with the BDS kit but didn't see it when configuring the Zone kit. I didn't add the upgraded UCAs since wasn't sure if it was worth it/needed for another $800+.

My zone 4” lift will be done today I’ll let you know how it comes out. I chose the zone kit mainly because it’s under the same umbrella as bds. Ultimately they do their research and make a quality kit. If you are not planning on doing a whole lot of off-roading why do you need the bds kit? It’s still better than the ready lift and the rough country. I’m doing fuel rebels and BFG 35’s can’t wait to see it!!!

I do occasional off-roading but more just to get to a good hunting spot here or there and not for hardcore. I'm just wanting to lift with bigger tires because I prefer the look (looks more like a truck than the factory lower front and highway tires) and all terrain tires for better traction when I do go hunting.

IKuenzi

Reaction score
I do the same the worst it will see is getting out in the woods hunting and the run into the field at my buddy’s farm.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that UCAs are an option with the BDS kit but didn't see it when configuring the Zone kit. I didn't add the upgraded UCAs since wasn't sure if it was worth it/needed for another $800+.

I do occasional off-roading but more just to get to a good hunting spot here or there and not for hardcore. I'm just wanting to lift with bigger tires because I prefer the look (looks more like a truck than the factory lower front and highway tires) and all terrain tires for better traction when I do go hunting.
I was just referring to the UCA’s to give a picture of why I was looking at Zone and BDS. The relevant part was where they are made. You could always contact them and ask why there is a price difference.

Moe70

Reaction score
Going through the same decision right now I email both companies yesterday and this is the reply I got from Zone, hope this might help a little.

Yes we are sister companies. Typically BDS has more high clearance crossmembers which take more engineering and cost more to manufacture. And has options like FOX coilover replacement kits where as with zone we typically have a spacer or strut replacement option. BDS haslo has a lifetime no bs warranty. If your offroading and a part of that kit breaks it will be replaced as long as you are the original purchaser. If you jump a sand dune and break crossmembers. Covered. With Zone it's a Limited lifetime warranty on manufacturing.

You would be looking at approximately 4-12 weeks on that kit with the fox shock upgrade.

Moe70

Reaction score
Sorry here is another reply when I asked about the Zone warranty vs BDS-

Both brands proudly carry our Factory Protection Plus Program that helps protect your new truck when installing our products. For more information please go to 560plus (Factory Protection Plus)

IKuenzi

Reaction score
I was just referring to the UCA’s to give a picture of why I was looking at Zone and BDS. The relevant part was where they are made. You could always contact them and ask why there is a price difference.

Just talked to support at Zone they said at 4” the geometry is almost identical to stock so original UCA will be just fine.

IKuenzi

Reaction score
My zone 4” kit was installed yesterday but didn’t get it back until after dark. I will post some pictures when I get some sun on her(she’s dirty as hell from the snow forgive me) the ride with the fox shocks is excellent compared to stock and she takes rr tracks and bumps like a champ now. So far I’m thrilled to death! Exactly what I was looking for.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just talked to support at Zone they said at 4” the geometry is almost identical to stock so original UCA will be just fine.

It seems clear to me that my point was missed and people honed in on the example I made, and thought that I meant he needed upper control arms. That was not what I was trying to get across, so I revised my original post. If anyone wants to see my original post, it should be quoted in an earlier post.

Last edited:

Vol4Life

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger today and scheduled my truck for the 4" Zone lift kit with new UCAs and Fox rear shocks and wrapping my factory 22" wheels in 35x12.5/22 Toyo ATIII tires. February 9th and 10th can't get here soon enough!

Millertime157

Reaction score
I have a 4" BDS on mine. It was the only 4" available when I lifted it over a year ago. I think its pretty rough. I plan on trying to get a better shock setup when I wear out these tires. It's not comparable to stock. Not even close. Hopefully the Zone is a little better. Hopefully a LOT better. I did go with cheap Atturo tires because I was lifting, wheels and tires, Retrax bed cover and AMP steps all at the same time. Almost 10K total so figured I could save a grand with the tires and get Toyo's next go round. Maybe has something to do with it but I'm not happy with the ride. May replace the truck in a year or two and if I do, I would be looking to get it lifted too. Would love feedback on how the Zone rides. Or if someone has shock suggestions for my current setup, I'm all ears! Wheels and tires are 20"x10" Hostile rims (-24 offset) with 35"x13.50"x20" Atturo tires.

Vol4Life

Reaction score
In preparation for my lift next week, I was thinking more about something I read months ago. When lifting 4", most people I think said to get longer rear sway bar end links. Does anyone know if this is included in the 4" zone lift kit? I can't find a parts list and the installation guide on their website is a broken link so I can't look through that either. If they aren't included I want to find some and get them on order.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I have a 4" BDS on mine. It was the only 4" available when I lifted it over a year ago. I think its pretty rough. I plan on trying to get a better shock setup when I wear out these tires. It's not comparable to stock. Not even close. Hopefully the Zone is a little better. Hopefully a LOT better. I did go with cheap Atturo tires because I was lifting, wheels and tires, Retrax bed cover and AMP steps all at the same time. Almost 10K total so figured I could save a grand with the tires and get Toyo's next go round. Maybe has something to do with it but I'm not happy with the ride. May replace the truck in a year or two and if I do, I would be looking to get it lifted too. Would love feedback on how the Zone rides. Or if someone has shock suggestions for my current setup, I'm all ears! Wheels and tires are 20"x10" Hostile rims (-24 offset) with 35"x13.50"x20" Atturo tires.
Yes, your tires are most likely the culprit as both the BDS and Zone use the same top spacer systems to attain the lift but resuse the factory suspension components so the ride should be almsot exactly the same (with consideration of slightly decreased handling due to higher center of gravity unless you increased the track width with newer wheels and tires). BDS is manufactured as a stouter system with beefier cross members, etc. which is why they offer their lifetime warranty. With the BDS Fox 2.5 coilover suspension with DSC, you could attain factory ride quality if not better. But when you finally invest in some better quality tires and alignment, you should be much happier!

IKuenzi

Reaction score
Just did the zone 4” lift it does have links with it.
37a27f6f78c44070fc23d78951a6c656.jpg

9bfe0e816bfc5245ff9f8a6e653f5b49.jpg

6d9314220c48da1b6ba78b12c1aeff3d.jpg

Moe70

Reaction score
That looks great. Considering doing the same kit. How does it ride and what size tires do you have on it?

Vol4Life

Reaction score
Just did the zone 4” lift it does have links with it.
Thanks for the info and for the pictures. Mine is the same color but has the night edition black 22" wheels on it. What size wheels and tires are those you are running? Wondering if the 35's I will be putting on my stock rims will require any mods to the wheel wells.

damram

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post, but I have been using the forums to gather information on the 5th gen rams.

I installed the Zone 4" kit over the past weekend in my driveway. After getting an alignment the truck drives great, not exactly the same as stock, but not far off either. With the heaver tires and higher center of gravity, there is naturally going to be a different driving feel than stock, but I would still say it drives very nice. I am running 295/65r20 tires which works out to be a tall 35" and about 11.8" wide. I really wanted to keep the stock wheels, and after researching on the forums I saw enough evidence that a 1" bora wheel spacer would be the solution. Sure enough, the 1" spacer fit perfectly and the voids in the stock wheel were deep enough that I didn't need to trim my studs. I also have the rough country electric running boards which work nice, but I do wish they tucked in better like the amps.

First picture is in my driveway, and last three are in the parking garage at work. I cleared the 7' clearance marker with about 1.5 inches before I would hit (thought this might be helpful info for some).

Next up, after I give my wallet a break lol, will be Body Armor 4x4 Ambush front and rear bumpers.

IMG_3416.JPG IMG_3426.JPG IMG_3425.JPG IMG_3427.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread