5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDS UCAs

jvillej

Reaction score
Is anyone running the BDS UCAs that could provide a clearance dimension for me?

Backstory I purchase new wheels(20x10 w/-19 OS)and tires (35x12.5) and the motofab 3" front 2" rear spacer kit. Haven't installed anything yet but sounds like I'm going to have an issue with stock uca angle and uca banging the coil at full droop.

So, to get ahead of that I'm looking for new UCAs. The BDS ones claim they are good for lift/level but state that if your running stock wheels and 12.5 tires they will rub at full lock turn.

So here's the math I'm coming up with stock wheel 18x 8 +19.1, new wheel 20x10 -19
Stock tire 10.8"W, new tire 12.5W.

New wheel should have about 0.5" more clearance but new tire is wider so vs stock the tire will be about 1-1/4 closer to the UCA. Not sure if this is enough clearance for the BDS UCAs

JRD

Reaction score
I doesn’t really answer your question, but I’ve seen a lot of people running the UCA’s from the Mopar 2” lift. I purchased them for my Daystar/Revel setup but have not yet installed. Curious what you come up with because the setup I want is very similar to the wheel/tire you have

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I had the Motofab 3/2 lift with 20x10 -18 offset. I used the mopar lifted control arms and they only lasted 9 months before the ball joints were shot. I don’t know if they are really that much better than stock, I couldn’t see a difference really. Based on that I can’t really recommend those. I have swapped to the m1 rough country coil overs and UCAs and so far the ride has improved, but time will tell as some don’t have much good to say about my current set up, but I clear the tires without an issue.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You already did the math. You'll have about half an inch more backspacing with the new wheels than you will with the stock wheels. If BDS says you'll rub with stock wheels and 12.5" wide tires, you should be ok with the new wheels. You can always contact BDS to see if they know how much space you need compared to OEM.

jvillej

Reaction score
You already did the math. You'll have about half an inch more backspacing with the new wheels than you will with the stock wheels. If BDS says you'll rub with stock wheels and 12.5" wide tires, you should be ok with the new wheels. You can always contact BDS to see if they know how much space you need compared to OEM.
Planning on calling bds today.

JRD

Reaction score
I had the Motofab 3/2 lift with 20x10 -18 offset. I used the mopar lifted control arms and they only lasted 9 months before the ball joints were shot. I don’t know if they are really that much better than stock, I couldn’t see a difference really. Based on that I can’t really recommend those. I have swapped to the m1 rough country coil overs and UCAs and so far the ride has improved, but time will tell as some don’t have much good to say about my current set up, but I clear the tires without an issue.
This may be a dumb question, but I’m not very educated in things like this. What happens when the ball joints go? Did this cause any other issues or did you catch it early on? I already purchased the 2” UCA’s so I’m wondering if I run them and have the same problem will I be screwed or is it as simple as just getting new UCA’s

skyhawk42

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I’m not very educated in things like this. What happens when the ball joints go? Did this cause any other issues or did you catch it early on? I already purchased the 2” UCA’s so I’m wondering if I run them and have the same problem will I be screwed or is it as simple as just getting new UCA’s
Mine started making noise. I caught it early on. My kids said it sounded like a horse and buggy instead of a truck. I checked it out as soon as I heard the noise and when I swapped the UCAs the ball joints were so loose you could easily move them with one finger. The new ones are much more solid and you can tell the ride quality was changed for the better even before the alignment was done

Reactions: JRD

jvillej

Reaction score
They will get noisy when the start to go, especially when driving on rough roads. As they get worse you may feel loose steering

Reactions: JRD

Users who are viewing this thread