5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDS ball joint gives way... What a mess.

CRam92

Reaction score
The failure, if caused by the upper ball joint, might be a random failure which any company can have. Had a conversation with RamRebelSteel and he beats his BDS UCAs up pretty good and has not had an issue. He has also been airborne more than once. I included a link to one of his videos.

FishOn

Reaction score
They are Moog BJs. I understand the "random" failure, but I haven't found a single person (including the tech at BDS) that has ever seen one snap/shear without some serious direct impact... If the bent frame was putting THAT much tension on something, you'd think it would've drove or sat weird, pulled or shimmied when you jump on the brakes, made some sort of funky noises in the 6 weeks I was blasting around town, or something... We'll see what the frame shop comes back with. I said it once, I'll say it again... Thankfully it happened at 10MPH, not 80MPH.

CRam92

Reaction score
Well now I’m second guessing installing the UCAs sitting in my garage 🤦🏼‍♂️

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Subscribing to see how this gets resolved. I would not expect to see that kind of failure from BDS.

saylor

Reaction score
id say someone needs to direct BDS to this post thread.

this is not looking good.

i can fimrly say Im not going to buy any of their UCAs. until I see how this goes.

if that ball joint breaks at the wrong moment people will be killed from it.

RAMROB91

Reaction score

i can fimrly say Im not going to buy any of their UCAs. until I see how this goes.

exactly my thought I'm glad it happened with just me in it and not my girl and the kids inside. if theirs is any other damage to my axels and stuff I feel they should have to pay to have them replaced because of their faulty uca

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Definetely doesn't seem like an isolated incident anymore but more like a BJ defect. is the BJ falling off or breaking in half in both instances ?

FishOn

Reaction score
exactly my thought I'm glad it happened with just me in it and not my girl and the kids inside. if theirs is any other damage to my axels and stuff I feel they should have to pay to have them replaced because of their faulty uca
The fine print in their "no fine print warranty" says they will cover their failed product but nothing else. Had to spend another $1800 to have the LCA, brake lines, CV axle, tie rods/etc replaced. BDS was more than willing to send out a replacement BJ, all $122 of the $1800, but I was on the hook for everything else. Scratched the hell out of my new wheels too, which the wife was not on board with replacing at $400 for a new one.

FishOn

Reaction score

Just sent an email with the "story" and a link to the forum. We'll see if they respond.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
I won’t be buying their product. That’s for sure. If I do, replace the ball joint with something stronger.

FishOn

Reaction score
BDS replied within 2 hours of my email... Pretty good start for customer service.
As for replacing the BJ with something stronger... Good luck finding something more resilient than a Moog.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Not being the best is debatable. Notice the broken ball joint.

NOLA Rick

Reaction score
Let me get this straight. Through no fault of your own, you sustain $1800 worth of damage to your truck because one of their ball joints, installed by their certified shop snaps...and BDS sends you a $22 ball joint and tells you the rest is your problem? And the shop says it must be a bent frame that caused it because of increased sheer on the ball joint? Um...if the sheer angles were so bad, how'd they get the damned thing installed in the first place without an industrial press and a bulldozer?

Horse apples.

See y'all in small claims court and let them both explain to a judge how this isn't their cost to bear.

Users who are viewing this thread