5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

battery issues

NumpsRebel

Reaction score
So about a week ago my battery voltage indicator flashed on the menu and the service engine light came on. I didn't really think much of it other than maybe the battery may have gotten weaker with the drop in outside temps or maybe my charging port was draining juice while the truck was off, so I unplugged it. My rebel is almost a year and a half old. the next day the service light went off on start up (it was warmer outside) but then that night it dropped 20 degrees and it came on again so this time I toggled through the menu options and selected to keep that battery voltage indicator up while Im driving. It was at about 11.7 and falling. over the next couple days it fell and fell even though I was driving more and more until the truck entered battery power saver mode and the heated seats and steering failed and eventually my radio. by now it was entering the 10.8 voltage range and I pulled over at a gas station left the truck running to grab some chips. When I came out to put it in reverse it stopped all the power flickered and went out . . . except the headlights. they wouldn't even manually turn off. so when I went in to ask the attendant to come outside to possibly jump me I think she thought I was about to rob the place lol. Anyway someone else pulls up gives me a jump and I floor it home a mile away and as im Parking it dies again. I had to get another jump just to finish parking. The next day I jumped it a third time a floored it to the dealer 5miles away and im still waiting to hear their diagnosis. Sometimes I've noticed that the charging ports light up when the truck is off even if no accessories are plugged in and I just wonder does the truck sense my key fob being near it or if they are constantly flashing on all day and night even when the truck is not in use and I am no where near it. Up until now the only issues I've had with my truck is the three recalls and a leaking sunroof drain plug that was missing from the truck entirely so the back floorboards molded three months after I bought it. Also when the battery exhausted itself the last time there was still noise coming from under the hood not sure if it was the alternator or the e-torque. I have the 8.4 inch screen, 17,500 miles and no mods like speakers or light bars

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So about a week ago my battery voltage indicator flashed on the menu and the service engine light came on. I didn't really think much of it other than maybe the battery may have gotten weaker with the drop in outside temps or maybe my charging port was draining juice while the truck was off, so I unplugged it. My rebel is almost a year and a half old. the next day the service light went off on start up (it was warmer outside) but then that night it dropped 20 degrees and it came on again so this time I toggled through the menu options and selected to keep that battery voltage indicator up while Im driving. It was at about 11.7 and falling. over the next couple days it fell and fell even though I was driving more and more until the truck entered battery power saver mode and the heated seats and steering failed and eventually my radio. by now it was entering the 10.8 voltage range and I pulled over at a gas station left the truck running to grab some chips. When I came out to put it in reverse it stopped all the power flickered and went out . . . except the headlights. they wouldn't even manually turn off. so when I went in to ask the attendant to come outside to possibly jump me I think she thought I was about to rob the place lol. Anyway someone else pulls up gives me a jump and I floor it home a mile away and as im Parking it dies again. I had to get another jump just to finish parking. The next day I jumped it a third time a floored it to the dealer 5miles away and im still waiting to hear their diagnosis. Sometimes I've noticed that the charging ports light up when the truck is off even if no accessories are plugged in and I just wonder does the truck sense my key fob being near it or if they are constantly flashing on all day and night even when the truck is not in use and I am no where near it. Up until now the only issues I've had with my truck is the three recalls and a leaking sunroof drain plug that was missing from the truck entirely so the back floorboards molded three months after I bought it. Also when the battery exhausted itself the last time there was still noise coming from under the hood not sure if it was the alternator or the e-torque. I have the 8.4 inch screen, 17,500 miles and no mods like speakers or light bars

This situation sounds frustrating, NumpsRebel. As you stated the truck is currently with the dealer, we are happy to assign you a case agent who can work alongside your dealer during the repairs. If you're interested, send us a private message to start.

Kate
RamCares

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Keep us posted please.
I routinely (basically weekly) throw ours on the 4 amp (HF) trickle charger overnight. It usually is starting off way lower than I have seen in other vehicles (the battery is often sitting at 12.2-12.3) though it always starts and never flickers or indicates anything,

I don't much care for the battery management system. (I had BMS issues with my 15' F150 too). It's all the %@*% computer that decided that it might take a pint more fuel to get down the road instead of just letting the alternator do its job. Grrrr. Not that this is your issue, probably isn't, but it would likely pay you to keep it on a maintainer or periodically charge it.

Users who are viewing this thread