5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery/Electrical issues after body shop

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my truck back on Friday after 3 months (and 27K!) of hail damage repair. Shop told me they put a new battery in for me as mine had gone dead or low from sitting and they ran into the same transmission issue many of us have had.

Took off on 2 hour drive and noticed the uconnect was all messed up, and the only way the AC would turn on was AC Max, otherwise it was hot air. Chalked it up to battery having just been installed and needing 24 hours to fully sync.

Noticed also the lights knobs is extremely stiff and when switching to brights the indicator is missing.

Let it sit until Saturday evening. Went to start and it's dead as a doorknob. Put it on a trickle charger and several hours later noticed dash screen and unconnect screen still on. Opened door to just check and went through the accessory, run options. Accessory made the lights flicker all funky and run made a pop sound and it all went black.

Left on charger last night but assume I need to jump or fast charge to get enough to start it.

Any idea what the shop could have done here? Best next steps? Hoping I can at least jump and drive safely back to home town where body shop and multiple dealers are.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey,

This sounds frustrating. If you'd like some additional assistance with this, please reach out to us. We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you have any water damage inside? Or just body damage from the hail?
No water damage. Just hail. I drove it from August to January with no issues with hail damage. Body shop drop off on Jan 9th and just got it back. That light knob is so stiff I wonder if it is part of problem. I don't think it matters what I select on it, stays the same. I jumped truck and drove back home 2.25 hours. My dad followed and said my rear 3rd brake light would come on randomly (I was on cruise the whole time and flat highway).

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey,

This sounds frustrating. If you'd like some additional assistance with this, please reach out to us. We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares
Going to see what body shop says first I guess and go from there.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Look at the body ground from the battery. A whole slew of bizarre electrical problems can easily be caused by that.
That, and some people say there is some "learning" procedures for the battery, something to do with the sensor that is connected to one of the terminals.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Random thought. If shop put new battery in, would it need to re-download everything and then that massive update possibly drain the battery overnight? Just wondering.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Random thought. If shop put new battery in, would it need to re-download everything and then that massive update possibly drain the battery overnight? Just wondering.
No it wouldn't work like that.

When disconnecting the batter some features, mainly in the radio can\will be funky for 24 hours even if driven, but nothing like you are experiencing.
It sounds more like that stupid sensor relearn thing, there were a few threads here about it but I don't recall exactly what to do. Basically when a new battery is put it the truck needs to pair or learn it, and it doesn't happen automatically. I'm sure someone can expand or link to the other posts about it.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No it wouldn't work like that.

When disconnecting the batter some features, mainly in the radio can\will be funky for 24 hours even if driven, but nothing like you are experiencing.
It sounds more like that stupid sensor relearn thing, there were a few threads here about it but I don't recall exactly what to do. Basically when a new battery is put it the truck needs to pair or learn it, and it doesn't happen automatically. I'm sure someone can expand or link to the other posts about it.
I ran a Foxwell battery/starter/alternator test a second ago and it all came up rose's.

How long after locking truck does dash screen go black? I notice it still says press brake and push button to start. Truck is locked and I haven't touched door handle, just peeking through window. Been several minutes.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I ran a Foxwell battery/starter/alternator test a second ago and it all came up rose's.

How long after locking truck does dash screen go black? I notice it still says press brake and push button to start. Truck is locked and I haven't touched door handle, just peeking through window. Been several minutes.
Take your fob out of your pocket.
It likes to light up if it's nearby.

Generally 10 minutes TOPS for the screen to turn off, but generally much quicker.
I can turn off my truck, open and close the door. Wait around 30-45 seconds and I hear an electrical noise and the screen will turn off. If I wiggle around or do almost anything the screen will come back on (with the fob with me).
Note: the USB ports if you have them in your center console will stay lit for a while, either 30 minutes or 4 hours I forget.

One time when I was applying a tune the screen got stuck on and I had to refresh my tune to get it to go to sleep. I think a restart of the system would of effectively done the same thing.
Might try a 30 second disconnect of the battery if the screen is staying on and let it sit overnight and see how it is in the morning.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah no Fob nearby and waited an hour. Still on. So just disconnect battery and reconnect after 30 seconds?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah no Fob nearby and waited an hour. Still on. So just disconnect battery and reconnect after 30 seconds?
That's what I would try.
Sometimes a random device seems to get hung and prevent everything from going to sleep.
Disconnecting the battery even for a few seconds forces it to reboot whatever it might be that is possibly keeping the CAN network alive.
Obviously start your truck for a few seconds then get out and lock it like normal after reconnecting it to test.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well shoot, didn't help. Guess I'm calling shop and dealer in morning. I can manually unlock truck at least if battery dies right? Father in law had a BMW that you couldn't manually unlock with key (there was a hole) if battery died.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes there is a keyhole on the driver door.
Ramboxes are digital buttons but have keys, I have MFT so not sure if regular tailgate is like mine but mine a electronic lock so unable to open the tailgate even if it's unlocked if you don't have power.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds good! We're here as a resource if you need us!

Callie
Ram Cares
Callie, is there any specific guidance I can give them regarding the "Push Brake to Start and Uconnect" screens never turning off? That's what is causing the battery drain I'm sure as they won't turn off ever right now.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: body shop couldn't figure out the dash lights not turning off issue so took to dealer. Dealer said a module went out in steering column that was causing it. Body shop ended up getting stuck with the bill since I'm not the one that brought it in, otherwise would have been covered under warranty. Supposedly fixed and ready to pick up today. Fingers crossed!

They also replaced the light dial. No real explanation on that one from anyone. They asked at first if I could have ever spilled something and I said hell no. So they just fixed and said its all good now. We shall see. Almost 4 months later, I'd be happy to my truck back finally. I do have to have them correct the bed cover, as they ordered the Lomax regular and not the Lomax Stance. I have to swing past that shop to show them what I am talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread