5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery died after sitting for one week

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sad that they didnt charge it up for you but glad that seems to have fixed it. I trickle charge ours about weekly With the 4 amp, it’s always down to 12.2 or 12.3, saw 12.1 once.

That’s just too low. I verified the accuracy with a multimeter. Oh wait, they are both HF products so maybe “accuracy” isn’t the correct term...

Last edited by a moderator:

paxtten

Reaction score
Like so many others, mid-March I jumped into the 2019 LongHorn to find the crazy electronics, gauges and radio constantly resetting. ABS pump was constantly running and could not shutdown anything. Finally pulled the battery cable .... VOM showed 8.7v

Boosted and drove to dealer, tech diagnosed the issue of bad radio
(IOD test = after 20 minutes of sleep, IOD test shows 1.2 amp draw present, pulled radio fuse 44, re performed IOD test, IOD dropped to 0.030 amp)
2 weeks later, new radio installed, and no IOD retest noted on service order

Temperature dropped here in the great white north this week, last drove the truck Wednesday, went out last night Friday to grab some dinner and crazy electronics again
Today had a deeper look, gauges came on briefly and battery was showing 9.2v,
Performed my own current test and found 4.1 amp constant draw, pulled fuse 44 (radio) no change .... I also pulled a bunch of other fuses trying to source the circuit, no luck

Waiting until Monday to speak with service manager

The irony of this, the corp survey arrived in my email last week which I complained about no follow up IOD test on service report ... Service manager sent me email Friday morning saying to contact him if any concerns ....

redneck

Reaction score
sounds like the radio is your problem but others have found gps tracking devices installed under the dash by the steering column above the knee bolster that draw power all the time my dealer installed one on my truck with out telling me im pulling it out tomorrow

paxtten

Reaction score
Appears the dealer has finally proved the radio is root cause again .... now we wait for a replacement "again".
They also replaced the battery under warranty as it would no longer take a full charge

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
My battery appears to have died after sitting from this passed Sunday through yesterday around noon when I tried to drive it. Got in, no lights, no chime, no dash, absolutely nothing came on.

Tow driver put a booster on it, and we got it up to like 11.x volts, and all the dash lights came on like normal, but it just said ‘press the brake and hit ‘Start’ but wouldn’t recognize I was holding the brake.

I guess we’ll see what the dealer has to say about it. Feels like a decent problem if my truck can’t sit for more then 72 hours before the battery is totally flat. (2019 w/ ~17k miles)

U

User_63152

My battery is dead, too. Yesterday, my truck wouldn't start. I got a jump then drove it to the dealership. My battery was at 10.9V. They tried to give me crap about an aftermarket sub amp I had installed (professionally). I drove it home and left it running for about 30 minutes. It got back up to 14.2V at idle. Today, I went out to start it up. Nothing. It was at 7.9V. The screen went black and the interior light wouldn't even come on.

I called the dealership and they immediately brought up the aftermarket amp issue. "We can't replace under warranty, blah blah blah". So, now I have to take it to my installer guy to have him try to prove that it's not the amp that's drawing power from the battery.

As much as I have read here and other places, this is a widespread issue with factory OEM batteries. As in parasitic draw.

I put it on a charger so I can, hopefully, get it to my installer's place. Then take it to the dealer on Monday.

Ridiculous!

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
My battery is dead, too. Yesterday, my truck wouldn't start. I got a jump then drove it to the dealership. My battery was at 10.9V. They tried to give me crap about an aftermarket sub amp I had installed (professionally). I drove it home and left it running for about 30 minutes. It got back up to 14.2V at idle. Today, I went out to start it up. Nothing. It was at 7.9V. The screen went black and the interior light wouldn't even come on.

I called the dealership and they immediately brought up the aftermarket amp issue. "We can't replace under warranty, blah blah blah". So, now I have to take it to my installer guy to have him try to prove that it's not the amp that's drawing power from the battery.

As much as I have read here and other places, this is a widespread issue with factory OEM batteries. As in parasitic draw.

I put it on a charger so I can, hopefully, get it to my installer's place. Then take it to the dealer on Monday.

Ridiculous!
Maybe Ram is stingier or something, but I recall that Toyota used to pay decently for test and replace battery under warranty. If the technician hooks up a tester and the battery fails and he gets a printout to submit, he's done. Swap the battery and send the customer home happy. I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes the failed battery that provided the printout wasn't the same one that got warrantied, either. Unless the whole backseat is taken up by a gigantic speaker enclosure, who's going to look for an aftermarket amplifier?

I'd try another dealer.

U

User_63152

Maybe Ram is stingier or something, but I recall that Toyota used to pay decently for test and replace battery under warranty. If the technician hooks up a tester and the battery fails and he gets a printout to submit, he's done. Swap the battery and send the customer home happy. I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes the failed battery that provided the printout wasn't the same one that got warrantied, either. Unless the whole backseat is taken up by a gigantic speaker enclosure, who's going to look for an aftermarket amplifier?

I'd try another dealer.
He saw my Sundown bass level knob and my Roar Pedal controller. So, the assumptions started flying. He even asked me if I had a tune. I don't so...

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
Same thing for mine. ~2,500 miles. Battery died after sitting for a a little bit. Dealer wanted the whole truck there before doing anything.

Oreillys charged it up and it tested good after that. Dealer didn’t offer to charge it.

I’m replacing with an interstate AGM since I don’t trust the oem one anymore.

U

User_63152

My dealership didn't offer to charge mine, either. They just wanted to complain that I had an aftermarket sub amp and that Roar Pedal. Funny how that works, huh?

My truck has ~5500 miles on it. Got it exactly 7 months ago. 03/30/21

If they want to charge me out of warranty, then, I will just buy my own damn battery and install it myself. Like one of those sweet yellow top Optima 880 CCA ones. We'll see Monday. But, Like I said, I am going to prove to them it's not my amp/s.

Last edited by a moderator:

juanc612

Reaction score
My battery appears to have died after sitting from this passed Sunday through yesterday around noon when I tried to drive it. Got in, no lights, no chime, no dash, absolutely nothing came on.

Tow driver put a booster on it, and we got it up to like 11.x volts, and all the dash lights came on like normal, but it just said ‘press the brake and hit ‘Start’ but wouldn’t recognize I was holding the brake.

I guess we’ll see what the dealer has to say about it. Feels like a decent problem if my truck can’t sit for more then 72 hours before the battery is totally flat. (2019 w/ ~17k miles)
Same exact symptoms here with a 2019 with 19k mi. Got to the dealer to pick it up after battery replacement and I saw the guy with the booster and told the service guy. I ended up turning it off to test it and it didn't turned on. Waiting until Monday to see what they have to say...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

schlite60

Reaction score
I have had same problem too. I have 2020 ram 3500 limited with a couple jump starts. Took it in the dealer locally and told them that batteries are not holding a charge. Service adviser said after the tech got looking at it it had 2 jeep batteries (WTF) rather than the h7/94R batteries. They ordered them and it took them 15 days to get here. The alternator also checks good. So I will see how long these last. I would love to get the 2nd alternator and split the battery system into 2 parts and use only both batteries for starting if needed.

juanc612

Reaction score
Same exact symptoms here with a 2019 with 19k mi. Got to the dealer to pick it up after battery replacement and I saw the guy with the booster and told the service guy. I ended up turning it off to test it and it didn't turned on. Waiting until Monday to see what they have to say...

I finally got my 1500 back around Dec 21, they found some short circuit in the driver side taillight and the key receiver. Both were replaced and the problem solved.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
I finally got my 1500 back around Dec 21, they found some short circuit in the driver side taillight and the key receiver. Both were replaced and the problem solved.

Hopefully it’s fixed! Worth noting that I haven’t had the problem since my post back in May (with nothing having been fixed by my dealer), and that includes sitting a few week-long stretches during the NH winter.

If it happens again (and i remember), I’ll suggest they check those items your dealer found. Feel like the key receiver is the likely culprit to me.. i wouldn’t think a taillight would cause a power drain with the truck off (if the light was off, at least)? However, the key receiver stuck in ‘search’ mode certainly could.

ChrisID

Reaction score
I have two, 20 Laramie and 21 Limited that I leave for months at a time. Was concerned about this. I unplug all USB stuff, turn off the radio (large screen), and lower the air ride to exit (so it's not hunting to maintain a higher level which it does naturally). Haven't had any issues even 3 months later.

Users who are viewing this thread