5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery died after sitting for one week

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine does that too and truck started right up after 15 days so that's not it. You either have a different source of drain or a bad battery.
Every week to 10 days I have to/want to trickle charge my 19’ Limited. It is always down to 12.2 or 12.3 indicated on the voltmeter. Today, 12 days since driving it last, the reading before charging was 12.1.

I never see anything activated however just walking back and forth beside it with the key fob in the pocket must wake the computers up for a bit, that alone can wear the battery down.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I bought a new 2020 Ram 3500 Laramie diesel this past Monday. Didn't drive it on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. Saturday tried to drive it and it was dead as nails. Called FC roadside and two service visits tried to jump it, including using a jump kit on both batteries, but wouldn't start. They put it on a flat bed to the nearest dealership. Now they're telling me that they can't change the batteries until they test them as defective, but to test them they need to charge them, and the batteries won't take a charge, so they can't test, and therefore can't replace them... That is mind blowing to me. I'm heading back to the service center shortly to speak with the service manager because that explanation can NOT be right. If the batteries won't hold a charge at ALL, then clearly they are defective. How hard is it to put in two working batteries to see if it cranks over?
That sounds like middle schooler mentality about why they didn’t do their chores or homework... not adults in the service business. Sheesh!

soSincerious

Reaction score
... they can't change the batteries until they test them as defective, but to test them they need to charge them, and the batteries won't take a charge, so they can't test, and therefore can't replace them ...
Sounds like they need updated battery testing equipment

DanInFlorida

Reaction score
Update - I went in and spoke to the Service Manager who was really helpful. I suspect the issue over the weekend was that it wasn't their main diesel tech team working on it, but the team that takes care of quick service items on the weekends. He got their diesel tech on it right away. They took the batteries out of the vehicle and managed to get them charged. They ran the tester that showed the CCA are still good (my concern still is that when a battery drains as much as these did, it kills the battery life - but FC warranty requires a bad test, and according to the test, the batteries are fine so they can't replace them). They identified a potential source of the battery drain - a bad USB media module that was pulling a current draw even without anything plugged in - and are replacing the part. Hoping to get the vehicle back today. So happy to say that they came through for me really well (once we got through that initial wierd response).

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Update - I went in and spoke to the Service Manager who was really helpful. I suspect the issue over the weekend was that it wasn't their main diesel tech team working on it, but the team that takes care of quick service items on the weekends. He got their diesel tech on it right away. They took the batteries out of the vehicle and managed to get them charged. They ran the tester that showed the CCA are still good (my concern still is that when a battery drains as much as these did, it kills the battery life - but FC warranty requires a bad test, and according to the test, the batteries are fine so they can't replace them). They identified a potential source of the battery drain - a bad USB media module that was pulling a current draw even without anything plugged in - and are replacing the part. Hoping to get the vehicle back today. So happy to say that they came through for me really well (once we got through that initial wierd response).
Glad the likely defective part was found. Like you said, FCA won’t replace the batteries so all you can do is try to keep them charged.
If they are slightly overcharged (even if valve regulated lead acid) they might recover from the sulfation. If AGM, nothing you can do.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a new 2020 Ram 3500 Laramie diesel this past Monday. Didn't drive it on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. Saturday tried to drive it and it was dead as nails. Called FC roadside and two service visits tried to jump it, including using a jump kit on both batteries, but wouldn't start. They put it on a flat bed to the nearest dealership. Now they're telling me that they can't change the batteries until they test them as defective, but to test them they need to charge them, and the batteries won't take a charge, so they can't test, and therefore can't replace them... That is mind blowing to me. I'm heading back to the service center shortly to speak with the service manager because that explanation can NOT be right. If the batteries won't hold a charge at ALL, then clearly they are defective. How hard is it to put in two working batteries to see if it cranks over?

"Now they're telling me that they can't change the batteries until they test them as defective, but to test them they need to charge them, and the batteries won't take a charge, so they can't test, and therefore can't replace them..."

What kind of circular BS is that? If a battery won't take a charge, then the battery is defective!!!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045229 miles.

Jako

Reaction score
"Now they're telling me that they can't change the batteries until they test them as defective, but to test them they need to charge them, and the batteries won't take a charge, so they can't test, and therefore can't replace them..."

What kind of circular BS is that? If a battery won't take a charge, then the battery is defective!!!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045229 miles.
I had "service" tell me I did not have ANC and it was written on the service ticket. I sent them my "build sheet" and told him to scroll down and bit my tongue to contain expressing my thought process. I was speechless when he first told me that the tech told him that and he has been around for 20 years.

Thank God for the forum.

pullejo

Reaction score
Exact same thing going on with my '19 Limited... It was dead in my driveway after sitting... a whopping day and a half. I hooked up my trickle charger/booster and let it sit and then it started right up. I'm guessing its the battery but I'm bringing it in anyway.

Paul07

Reaction score
This is the third time the battery died on me, last time they said it was the relay switch, now after a month it's dead again. It's at the dealership right now. What did they say about yours?

Aggieram1964

Reaction score
My 2020 RAM 1500 Longhorn, with e-torque, was completely dead this morning after sitting for a week. Before then it had started and run normally. Chrysler roadside service sent a guy out with a battery pack to jump-start it, but that did not produce enough power to crank the engine. When I tried to start it with that battery pack, there was a loud "clack" noise. I tried starting it twice but was afraid it was damaging something. Also, when I tried to start it, the brake pedal did not depress like it usually does when starting. I am waiting for a tow truck to take it to the dealer.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Sigh. Sounds more and more like RAM got a batch of bad batteries for the OEM. Thankfully it is covered under your warranty however it doesn’t do anything for the fact that this should not be happening, period.

While our 19’ Ltd battery hasn’t ever failed, it does get put on to the trickle charger every 7-10 days and is always reading 12.1 or 12.2 when first hooked up. That’s simply too low for a starting battery voltage to be healthy (the sulfation process).

Scrolling through the screens to get the digital voltage from the alternator shows 14.6 volts when the truck is first started so nothing wrong there.

rgass22

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 LTD battery kept dying... in dealership over a dozen times no luck in finding problem
Traded for a 2021 Ram 1500 LTD
Same problem Sunday and Monday
battery dead after 1200 miles or 1943 kms.
Taking to the dealer for the first time later this week or Monday

Left truck idling to charge battery after jumps.

Deeply upsetting

Truck parked outside fob kept in kitchen
Steps deployed will change to undeployed.
Parking truck now 50ft away from house.

Help what is wrong with Ram trucks?

Battery dies when you need the truck the most.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 LTD battery kept dying... in dealership over a dozen times no luck in finding problem
Traded for a 2021 Ram 1500 LTD
Same problem Sunday and Monday
battery dead after 1200 miles or 1943 kms.
Taking to the dealer for the first time later this week or Monday

Left truck idling to charge battery after jumps.

Deeply upsetting

Truck parked outside fob kept in kitchen
Steps deployed will change to undeployed.
Parking truck now 50ft away from house.

Help what is wrong with Ram trucks?

Battery dies when you need the truck the most.
Definately sucks. The old fashioned way of tracing the parasitic drain was shown here in this article. While it's "not your problem" since it's new, it may become "your problem" so a good thing to know for later:

Or the YT method:
HumbleMechanic
495K subscribers

The BEST Way TO Perform a Parasitic Draw Test​

•Feb 22, 2017

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I finally got around to checking the battery voltage as shown on the instrument panel screen. It showed 14.4 or 14.5 volts while idling or driving.

When being started it briefly fell to 13.5 but recovered to 14.4 volts almost immediately. At least I see that the alternator seems to be keeping the battery up. This was after a 1 hour highway drive.

Attachments

• 73CC8452-66D8-4FB4-8B1A-C2E77B6665E9.jpeg
    73CC8452-66D8-4FB4-8B1A-C2E77B6665E9.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:

pullejo

Reaction score
Yep. Battery was shot - dead cell. It completely confused things.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yep. Battery was shot - dead cell. It completely confused things.
Hearing more on other forums that the newer batteries are not really good quality. Ford and GM owners say the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
Dead battery here also, truck has only 1000 miles. I parked it overnight in OR2 and deployed the side steps.
Looks like the air suspension might have remained active for some reason and killed the battery (that would be my uneducated guess). We'll see what the service dept says when they get the truck later today.
Good thing is that FCA roadside assistance was great.

Last edited:

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
Dealer said it was a defective battery and they replaced it. They checked for parasitic draw and found it within factory spec.
Hopefully that is the end of the problem.

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the new battery sticker. It is different than the original battery I had but I don't have a picture of the original one.
I am not sure why, but the battery they installed was not fully charged and it took 18hours on my 10amp charger to fully charge it.
Well, no problem since. So that's good.
1617327736291.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread