5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bass rattle

Kramersp

Reaction score
What the hell are yall doing? Make your dealer fix the $60K+ rattling truck they gave you!

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice work @sticker500 and good pic, I love bass and will remember that. I wonder what’s the fastest way to advise Ram so they can secure that little spot for all the future owners (and for service departments for when they get the old “it makes some funny noises, sometimes, somewhere back there...)?

I hope they will make some improvements or have a some type of insulator pads that can be used to correct it.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What the hell are yall doing? Make your dealer fix the $60K+ rattling truck they gave you!

If only it were that easy. Truck has been to dealer once for the issue and not resolved, so when there is a poor design and the manufacturer hasn't resolved it yet then you work around it.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did go press on my back window and stopped 90% of the rattle. There was some more coming from the rear doors that was fixed by pressing the molding in more. It's strange that the back is a total cluster F*** and the front is rattle free. I'd love a fix that the rear window didn't need to be immobilized

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If enough people go in with the issue I'm sure Ram will have them start installing a thin felt on one side of the track to stop the rattle.

mhb1638

Reaction score
The problem, I think, is Mopar mounting a sub the the back wall. I've seen truck boxes on the back wall, enclosed, and not mounted to the cab wall.
BTW I have the rattle too and it's annoying as fk. And the HK system sucks.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to fix the tweeter grill being loose. I fixed the rear sliding window rattle. I fixed the clunk while turning.

I don’t trust dealers to fix anything like this. I’ve had them remove door panels before and it’s less than desirable. They do a terrible job.

To remove the door panel is easy though. Three 10mm in total and pull at the bottom.

The grill rattle was terrible.. couldn’t figure it out. Was during talk radio or certain frequency. Finally get the grill lose and fixed it. The drivers grill was solid for me the passenger was the problem.

Overall disappointed they must not have driven the trucks at all after production

1Raider

Reaction score
I can't believe that FCA let the new HK 19 speaker system head into production like this without someone noticing the lack of quality...
Why would FCA allow that to happen when this could be an easy cheap fix early on and keep customers happy unless someone swept it "under the rug"!

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I had to fix the tweeter grill being loose. I fixed the rear sliding window rattle. I fixed the clunk while turning.

I don’t trust dealers to fix anything like this. I’ve had them remove door panels before and it’s less than desirable. They do a terrible job.

To remove the door panel is easy though. Three 10mm in total and pull at the bottom.

The grill rattle was terrible.. couldn’t figure it out. Was during talk radio or certain frequency. Finally get the grill lose and fixed it. The drivers grill was solid for me the passenger was the problem.

Overall disappointed they must not have driven the trucks at all after production
You guys are lucky to have ONLY those rattles and noises.

My Longhorn window sticker was just a few dollars under $70,000. I've got a dash noise that sounds like a bolt is rolling around in there when I stop or start moving.

I've also have a tick kind of noise that sounds like it may be coming from the upper right "A" pillar or the front passenger door, in that area.

I fixed a headliner rattle (pano liner) by shoving air conditioner foam up under it to help stop that noise.

I've also got the rear window rattle. Thanks for the idea on how to fix it. I'll be buying some felt tape, to hopefully put in the track and apply pressure.

My front passenger seatbelt buckle recepticle bangs up against the center console over bumpy roads.

I agree, did they actually drive these vehicles and not encounter any of the issues that we are?

My 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited is squeak and rattle free. I'm very disappointed that this Longhorn was over twice the cost and has all these noises. If it weren't for the squeaks and rattles, it would be a perfect vehicle.

I'll have to get my girlfriend to drive me around in the Longhorn, so I can isolate and remedy these most annoying noises.

I've learned in the past the hard way, you definitely do not want some dealer technician to try to isolate and fix the rattles and noises. I've had to deal with greasy paw prints, soiled leather and broken trim pieces in the past from dealer repairs. They're also not careful to avoid getting their greasy clothes and hands all over the interior.

I may have to get FCA involved with the dash noise (rolling bolt sound) I just can't imagine what that could even be. I'm going to try and capture it on video.

I'm a little frustrated. This ruined the pleasure of buying a new vehicle. I've already got hours and hours of my own time into stopping noises that shouldn't be there.

I'm not here to complain, I'm just here to share information. If anyone else has these noises and fixed them, I'd be very appreciative for remedy suggestions.

Thanks for the rear window fix idea!

Hutch45

Reaction score

I have a terrible grill rattle on my passenger door too. How did you fix it after panel removal? I’m with you, I just don’t trust the dealer to fix it. 2020 bighorn with Alpine.

Krootz

Reaction score
I narrowed down ALL the rattling in my cab to two places 1) rear cab wall behind the seat and 2) headliner support bows between the headliner and cab.

Rear cab: after removing the rear seat (larger section only) I slid some double sided foam tape behind a module that had some play in the plastic rivet mounts. Then zip tied the loose connector dangling (no idea what it goes to). I could have gotten to it without the seat removed, but I was all-in on finding every single rattle/noise back there. That was all I found making noise behind the seat though.

Headliner Noise: found a TSB online with case number showing support bows rattling because of insufficient/failing deadening material. Made an appointment to get it fixed next week under warranty.

After putting the seat back in the only noise is right above my dome light in the headliner.

Attachments

• 0773F290-BDD1-4655-B82F-944599CA983F.jpeg
    0773F290-BDD1-4655-B82F-944599CA983F.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 4C0D35BB-34E2-4CAE-B742-84762B975410.jpeg
    4C0D35BB-34E2-4CAE-B742-84762B975410.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 23C6B4A5-554B-48E8-B30D-09A7853C8425.jpeg
    23C6B4A5-554B-48E8-B30D-09A7853C8425.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 49

tlwilkinson78

Reaction score
I narrowed down ALL the rattling in my cab to two places 1) rear cab wall behind the seat and 2) headliner support bows between the headliner and cab.

Rear cab: after removing the rear seat (larger section only) I slid some double sided foam tape behind a module that had some play in the plastic rivet mounts. Then zip tied the loose connector dangling (no idea what it goes to). I could have gotten to it without the seat removed, but I was all-in on finding every single rattle/noise back there. That was all I found making noise behind the seat though.

Headliner Noise: found a TSB online with case number showing support bows rattling because of insufficient/failing deadening material. Made an appointment to get it fixed next week under warranty.

After putting the seat back in the only noise is right above my dome light in the headliner.
For the headliner issue, did you notice it when you were listening to music? I just got a 2020 Laramie Sport with the HK System. Any time there is music playing with bass in it the headliner rattles quite a bit, making the sound quality seem terrible. The issue (for the most part) goes away when pressing on the headliner towards the rear of the truck.

Krootz

Reaction score
For the headliner issue, did you notice it when you were listening to music? I just got a 2020 Laramie Sport with the HK System. Any time there is music playing with bass in it the headliner rattles quite a bit, making the sound quality seem terrible. The issue (for the most part) goes away when pressing on the headliner towards the rear of the truck.
Yes, exactly where my issue is.

I can make it stop by pushing on my dome light. Also, I turned up the bass and stood in the bed of the truck and pushed on the roof about a foot towards passenger side from the shark fin... Noise stopped

tlwilkinson78

Reaction score
Yes, exactly where my issue is.

I can make it stop by pushing on my dome light. Also, I turned up the bass and stood in the bed of the truck and pushed on the roof about a foot towards passenger side from the shark fin... Noise stopped
Thanks for confirming. I’ll be sending this TSB to my dealer. Did you end up getting it fixed at your appointment?

Users who are viewing this thread