5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banks Pedal Monster...Installed

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been told told the same that it is simply firmware but I also had been told prior to my purchase that all units currently shipping had said firmware installed. Banks customer service is a joke at this point.

I agree. Just trying to get a straight answer out of them and to get someone other than a receptionist to answer the question is a joke.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’m a little confused - what do these things do, that a little more pressure on the go-pedal wouldn’t?
On these and most newer cars its throttle by wire. you pressing the pedal tells the computer how fast you'd like to go and the computer chooses for you and moderates it for gas mileage etc mandated by whatever BS by limiting how slowly the intake opens and making it very progressive.

Things like the banks and pedal commander etc send commands that negate some of that and give instant response rather than a delayed lethargic opening of the throttle the normal map would provide. It goes back somewhat to the response you'd expect with a mechanical linkage and not nannyware driving the car for you. simply flooring the stock pedal cannot do the same thing as the computer still delays the throttle open command.

21bighorn

Reaction score
On these and most newer cars its throttle by wire. you pressing the pedal tells the computer how fast you'd like to go and the computer chooses for you and moderates it for gas mileage etc mandated by whatever BS by limiting how slowly the intake opens and making it very progressive.

Things like the banks and pedal commander etc send commands that negate some of that and give instant response rather than a delayed lethargic opening of the throttle the normal map would provide. It goes back somewhat to the response you'd expect with a mechanical linkage and not nannyware driving the car for you. simply flooring the stock pedal cannot do the same thing as the computer still delays the throttle open command.
Exactly.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Not sure that’s true. Pedal Commander just changes what the computer sees as pedal position. The pedal sensor isn’t modulating the input signal, the ECM is. The PC may change the slope, how fast the ECM sees the pedal go up from zero, but the PC isn’t changing ECM processing of pedal position inputs. A tune could do that. So, you may perceive a smaller pedal input as getting more power sooner, but unless you’re reprogramming or remapping the ECU, you could get the same effect with your foot. That said, I bet folks do perceive it as being more powerful, as we are conditioned to think the pedal position and power output are proportional.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, that demo is notional, not a real ECU-pedal interface. The “stock” setting is exaggerated (just look at the closing rate, and what happens when the pedal is unplugged). Throttle plate position is driven by the ECU, not the pedal. Good sales hype, but not real.

No big deal though, if you like it, great.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure that’s true. Pedal Commander just changes what the computer sees as pedal position. The pedal sensor isn’t modulating the input signal, the ECM is. The PC may change the slope, how fast the ECM sees the pedal go up from zero, but the PC isn’t changing ECM processing of pedal position inputs. A tune could do that. So, you may perceive a smaller pedal input as getting more power sooner, but unless you’re reprogramming or remapping the ECU, you could get the same effect with your foot. That said, I bet folks do perceive it as being more powerful, as we are conditioned to think the pedal position and power output are proportional.
except you can't. the pedal assembly itself has signaling and programming also built into it. no matter how fast you mash it to the floor it will adjust the throttle opening speed and smooth it when sending the bus commands. The exception is if the pedal goes into fail mode and then it's graduated hops.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
except you can't. the pedal assembly itself has signaling and programming also built into it. no matter how fast you mash it to the floor it will adjust the throttle opening speed and smooth it when sending the bus commands. The exception is if the pedal goes into fail mode and then it's graduated hops.
I’m not convinced the pedal has anything other than smoothing. It would be surprising if the pedal sensor does signal manipulation beyond that. i Don’t think the pedal sensor has response curves that meaningfully delay or alter reported pedal position - architectually, that would be unwise.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not convinced the pedal has anything other than smoothing. It would be surprising if the pedal sensor does signal manipulation beyond that. i Don’t think the pedal sensor has response curves that meaningfully delay or alter reported pedal position - architectually, that would be unwise.
Surprise. it does.

John_WI

Reaction score
I have had my truck for 7 months, and still I am still annoyed by the lag before it will downshift. Does this change shifting response as well? I may be exaggerating, but it seems that I need to push the pedal halfway down to get the transmission to wake up.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The software in the Banks that is still shipping today is from October 2020. There have been no updates since then. If you are running 61320.05.8, you have the latest. The version is on a sticker on the back of the Banks PM. When Bank's does have an update, it will show up in your app and you can update it via Bluetooth.

61320.05.8 Release Notes (10/30/2020):
  • OBDII communications improvements for Ford 6.7L
61320.05.7 Release Notes (09/21/2020):
  • Additional Reverse Safety support
  • Reverse Safety improvements
  • Added Vehicle Selection setting via phone app for standalone use
61320.05.6 Release Notes (08/17/2020):
  • OBDII Communications Improvements
61320.05.5 Release Notes (08/14/2020):
  • Test Mode Entry Sequence Improvements
61320.05.4 Release Notes (7/31/2020):
  • Additional Reverse Safety support