5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball mount recommendation

JimD007

Reaction score
I towed that same U-haul trailer several times moving my daughter. My tow vehicle at the time was a Suzuki Grand Vitara. A small SUV with a 2.7l V6. It handled it easily. Atlanta traffic was another matter but we survived. I know my Ram would tow it very easily. The trailer has surge brakes so there is no hookup to electric brakes on the tow vehicle. You need to be careful because your stopping distance will almost certainly increase.

All the U-haul trailers I have towed needed a 1.7/8 or 2 inch ball - they could use either - but the 2 inch is preferred. How much drop is something you may have to figure out when the trailer is there with the truck. U-haul sells the ball mounts so the easiest thing to do is just buy a suitable one there. Some chance they will not have a suitable one but they probably will.

The big thing you need to avoid is having the back of the trailer heavier than the front. If you have to push down on the tongue of the trailer to hook it up you need to move some things around. 10% is a good rule of thumb but isn't magical. I fixed a trailer one time by putting a big rock on the front of it. The size of the rock was the biggest I could comfortably lift and put on the trailer. I don't know the resulting percentage of weight on the ball but the trailer stopped wagging around.

Users who are viewing this thread