5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball mount recommendation

jayhawk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’ve got 2020 Ram 1500, with 3.5in Readylift with 35s.

Im about to tow a Uhaul trailer for the first time and I was curious what ball mount I should purchase for this purpose.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks

Update: here is the info about the Uhaul Trailer
IMG_3347.png

Last edited:

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whatever allows the trailer to sit level when connected to the truck and not nose high, or low. I would recommend an adjustable one that allows you to adjust the height of the ball to accommodate all kinds of trailers you may tow. There are a ton of these available on the market.

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Im about to tow a Uhaul trailer for the first time and I was curious what ball mount I should purchase for this purpose.

How long is a piece of string?

For starters, you have a suspension lift and oversize tires, which are both things you should not do to a tow vehicle, because they reduce directional stability. So don't send your lawyer, from your hospital bed, to sue me after you've been pulled out of the ditch.

And you didn't tell us anything about the trailer. You need to know, from the trailer you are going to rent, the ball size and height. Then calculate the difference between that and your hitch receiver, factoring in a couple inches of ball height and some suspension squat once loaded.

I'll guess you might need something in the range of 6" drop with a 2-5/16" ball.

Or if you want to spend a bit extra, you could get one of the adjustable hitches with a flip-over ball, maybe in the 8" range.

And if it's a very large trailer, a hitch with a sway damper would be in order.

Or you could let U-Haul hook it up for you. They are, after all, in the business of renting trailers and hitches.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Check out this YouTube
Caravan Sway Crash

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a B and W 7.5 inch drop for 2.5 inch hitch, 2 and 2 5/16 inch balls.
Works well.

I have a slight increase in rear height (rake) which helps with hauling and towing heavy.
Otherwise, stock.

My guess with your 3.5 inch lift, that is how much the front was lifted. The kits always from my experience, mostly lift the back just to level the truck with front lift. Which is not ideal for hauling or towing anywhere close to heavy. Your truck with have lots of rear sag if level (after kit) after hooking up trailer and loading.

My guess is that the 7.5 inch drop (or close to it) will work with your lift, extra ground clearance from larger tires, and droop. I don’t think I would get less than a 7.5 or 8 inch drop.

IMG_2777.jpeg

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a bit dramatic. The biggest trailer UHaul rents is a 6'x12' enclosed trailer. Hardly an issue for his truck.
That video is a demonstration of when the trailer is loaded improperly with too much weight towards the rear. Not enough tongue weight. This swaying can happen even with small trailers.

So for Jayhawk and your Uhaul, load the heavier stuff towards the front.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That video is a demonstration of when the trailer is loaded improperly with too much weight towards the rear. Not enough tongue weight. This can happen even with small trailers.

Yes and no. You also don't want all the weight on the tongue. Needs to be properly loaded. Too much weight in tongue leads to more squat on truck and takes weight off the steer wheels. Which isn't good either.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That video is a demonstration of when the trailer is loaded improperly with too much weight towards the rear. Not enough tongue weight. This swaying can happen even with small trailers.

He was implying that a 3.5" lift and 35" tires were going to cause that type of instability.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes and no. You also don't want all the weight on the tongue. Needs to be properly loaded. Too much weight in tongue leads to more squat on truck and takes weight off the steer wheels. Which isn't good either.

I didn‘t say “all the weight on the tongue”.

Yea I saw a picture of your truck with a loaded enclosed trailer that you posted not long ago.
Looked fairly unsafe. I think mainly due to your mostly leveled truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Yea I saw a picture of your truck with a loaded enclosed trailer that you posted not long ago.
That trailer was nose heavy because it was loaded with the heavy stuff to the front, as your post said. The second load there was very little squat because it was more evenly loaded, and despite being a heavier load, it towed better. being leveled doesn't have as much to do with it as how the trailer is loaded, and the hitch used. I probably could have used a 4" drop instead of the 3" drop my dad had and it would have helped more. But that's what I had to work with.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

This was with empty trailer. Second load didn't have any more squat than this picture. And was these two Cub Low Boy tractors with belly mowers.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1688233949001.jpg
    FB_IMG_1688233949001.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 20
  • FB_IMG_1688234028173.jpg
    FB_IMG_1688234028173.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 19

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was with empty trailer. Second load didn't have any more squat than this picture. And was these two Cub Low Boy tractors with belly mowers.

If it didn’t have any more squat from empty trailer pic, to loaded trailer with tractors,

then either you are mistaken, or their was NO tongue weight increase after loading with low

boy tractors. Loaded incorrectly. Should have quite a bit more.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it didn’t have any more squat from empty trailer pic, to loaded trailer “being a heavier load”,

then either you are mistaken, or their was NO tongue weight increase after loading with “heavier load”. Loaded incorrectly, Should have quite a bit more.
So you are saying if your rear end doesn't squat you loaded the trailer weong? Oooookaaay

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you are saying if your rear end doesn't squat you loaded the trailer weong? Oooookaaay

Hey you are catching on.

Your tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of TOTAL trailer weight.

More load, 10-15% of load more tongue weight, more squat.

I honestly thought everyone knew that.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He was implying that a 3.5" lift and 35" tires were going to cause that type of instability.
Not entirely, but they will contribute. Maybe enough to push a marginal situation over the edge. Or maybe I'm overly cautious, but I haven't needed to be washed off the pavement.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey you are catching on.

Your tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of TOTAL trailer weight.

More load, 10-15% of load more tongue weight, more squat.

I honestly thought everyone knew that.
I get that, but you also don't want any more squat. You can still get the same 10-15% of load on the tongue without causing excessive squat, like my first load. Wish I would have e taken pictures of the second load, but didn't.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get that, but you also don't want any more squat. You can still get the same 10-15% of load on the tongue without causing excessive squat, like my first load. Wish I would have e taken pictures of the second load, but didn't.

First you say “don’t want any more squat”

Also, “can still get the same 10-15% of load on tongue without excessive squat”

Earlier post “didn’t have any more squat “ from unloaded trailer vs loaded trailer.

Which is it.

If you “don’t want any more squat”, you better just get groceries with your truck.
Properly loading a trailer with a load WILL cause squat.

So to address the 10- 15% without excessive squat. A lot of people address this with rake, heavier springs, airbags, or sometimes a combination.

If you are hauling and or towing a properly loaded trailer, it will have some squat (no airbags).

It should not be a goal or practice to control squat with the loading of the trailer.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First you say “don’t want any more squat”

Also, “can still get the same 10-15% of load on tongue without excessive squat”

Earlier post “didn’t have any more squat “ from unloaded trailer vs loaded trailer.

Which is it.

If you “don’t want any more squat”, you better just get groceries with your truck.
Properly loading a trailer with a load WILL cause squat.

So to address the 10- 15% without excessive squat. A lot of people address this with rake, heavier springs, airbags, or sometimes a combination.

If you are hauling and or towing a properly loaded trailer, it will have some squat (no airbags).

It should not be a goal or practice to control squat with the loading of the trailer.
Surprised you haven't told me I needed a load leveling hitch. That was most of the responses I got on the 5th gen Facebook group when I posted the picture.

There was some squat on suspension. Nothing like the first load, and not much more,. noticeable, than unloaded picture. and truck isn't perfectly level either. I purposely left some rake to avoid the nose high look most leveled trucks have

Users who are viewing this thread