5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bake open Tail Lights... (Or molded covers?) Lens crack repair

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Long story short, my BLIS equipped tail light lens took a beating and originally just had a crack, now has a piece chipped out which I have in hand so it all still goes back together..

I have baked headlights and tail lights open in the past, preheating with an oven and then using a heat gun - I was surprised I haven't seen a single post on this forum yet so it looks like I'll be the guinea pig

Any chance someone has done this before on this specific taillight? I'm particularly worried about which clips I will encounter or any permanent bonding. Alternately, a molded cover that I can seal over the top would be ideal - I haven't seen one on the market, just vinyl overlays...

Attachments

• 1641155583785799469510808587883.jpg
    1641155583785799469510808587883.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 37

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are some on eBay for sale for less than $400

Separating that isn’t going to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are some on eBay for sale for less than $400

Separating that isn’t going to fix it.

If you happen across a link, please let me know! Around that price I haven't seen them with the blind spot indicator - physically I can move the blind spot sensor over but there would be a missing pigtail in the wiring of a non-BLIS unit

I'll check again though! Back when I first looked they were 600+, new was near 900...

I did another search and found these covers - they apply with Velcro (wtf?) But I believe I can mount them with a bead of silicone to make them weather proof. Not ideal but it's something to stop gap having to spend 5-600+ from what I've seen so far

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you happen across a link, please let me know! Around that price I haven't seen them with the blind spot indicator - physically I can move the blind spot sensor over but there would be a missing pigtail in the wiring of a non-BLIS unit

I'll check again though! Back when I first looked they were 600+, new was near 900...

I did another search and found these covers - they apply with Velcro (wtf?) But I believe I can mount them with a bead of silicone to make them weather proof. Not ideal but it's something to stop gap having to spend 5-600+ from what I've seen so far

Those won't work for the taillights with blind spot monitoring anyways. As far as baking them opens they have changed the glue they use on newer headlights and taillights. It's nothing that can really be baked open. Usually they are cut open if anyone tried to get them apart

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just buy those carbon overlays for the center section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish it was that easy, the crack extends in a few directions so the only vinyl overlay that could possibly work could be a clear bra material stretched over the whole thing but getting it into the crevices would be tough

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as baking them opens they have changed the glue they use on newer headlights and taillights.
yeah that’s what I’m afraid of, and why I made the post in case anyone has tried it – I’ve baked open at least a dozen headlights and taillights of varying manufacturers, but I’m worried that this is just plastic welded together

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Chances are you can bake it. There’s too much going on with leds and sensor to not be two-piece. I doubt you will find a spare lens though.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Chances are you can bake it. There’s too much going on with leds and sensor to not be two-piece. I doubt you will find a spare lens though.
It's glued together, but the glue used doesn't really soften when baked.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's glued together, but the glue used doesn't really soften when baked.
If I'm stuck buying another one, I might just chance it anyway to see if I can't take it apart with a pre-heat and heat gun technique
Agreed - there's def a seam, albeit a tight one. No lens that I've seen anywhere, just hoping to salvage this one until lens/tail prices come down from the moon haha.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Check local wrecking yards. I found a pair of LED headlights from a rear end total. Was going to be $400 for both, unfortunately I had to take the kid to the ER instead :(

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check local wrecking yards. I found a pair of LED headlights from a rear end total. Was going to be $400 for both, unfortunately I had to take the kid to the ER instead :(
Yikes, hope all's ok!

I'm going to call around today but have a possible fix in the works... As soon as I can I'll post up pictures if it worked out

Users who are viewing this thread