5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad vibration when towing

2020ramwv

Reaction score
New 2020 1500 big horn, towed my 6x12 utility trailer with my sidexside this weekend. When I would get up to speed (55-60) the truck would vibrate or shimmy awfully bad. The truck doesn’t do it when there’s no trailer. Nor does it do it when the trailer is empty. I don’t think it’s the trailer because I towed it all the time with my Silverado and never had an issue. It’s a new trailer also. The truck didn’t do it until I got up to speed. Could it be out of balance tires or driveshaft ? The weight of the s x s making it more noticeable? Or am I crazy and it has to be the trailer ?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My guess would be the tires on the trailer.

Really could be anything though.

But, if the truck doesn't do it without the trailer, and then also doesn't do it with the trailer empty...then when you load the sxs it does, then either trailer tires or wheel bearings.

Good luck.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
New 2020 1500 big horn, towed my 6x12 utility trailer with my sidexside this weekend. When I would get up to speed (55-60) the truck would vibrate or shimmy awfully bad. The truck doesn’t do it when there’s no trailer. Nor does it do it when the trailer is empty. I don’t think it’s the trailer because I towed it all the time with my Silverado and never had an issue. It’s a new trailer also. The truck didn’t do it until I got up to speed. Could it be out of balance tires or driveshaft ? The weight of the s x s making it more noticeable? Or am I crazy and it has to be the trailer ?

We certainly understand why this would be concerning, @2020ramwv. If you decide to address this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message as we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

2020ramwv

Reaction score
I’m gonna pull the trailer loaded with my dads truck as soon as possible and will give an update after that. Thanks guys

Pebcak

Reaction score
When I would get up to speed (55-60) the truck would vibrate or shimmy awfully bad. The truck doesn’t do it when there’s no trailer.

We're getting the same thing happening to us with our 2019 1500 Classic SLT 4x4.

We went a step further and purchased 20" rims and tires after noticing it. Again, empty no vibration and hauling a (empty) horse trailer it vibrates along the same speeds.

It'll shake the truck enough to be annoying. If you look out the rear view mirror you can see the top of the tailgate vibrating up and down.

Through all my research of other people having similar issues I'm wondering if it's the leaf springs that need to be adjusted or add another leaf?

Just putting my two cents out for review and thoughts.

FYI, we're still covered under a 7 year 100K Factory warranty so I'm planning on going to the Dealership for them to look at it also. But I want to do my research and have a little education too.

Thanks

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No leafs in the rear, coils. This is a weird one for sure. Another thing in the driveline is the driveshaft support bearing.

Pebcak

Reaction score
No leafs in the rear, coils.

I'm glad that I don't pretend like I know what I'm doing. :LOL: I believe in not exaggerating and pretending to know what I'm talking about. +1 in the Karma column for me today!

Well dang. I'm back to square one now. I guess I should pay attention to the make and model of trucks that people are having the issues with. Not mine.. :whistle:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find my new ram transfers a lot more noise/vibration from the trailer back into my truck compared to my old Sierra.

mopar mark

Reaction score
My truck was doing it off an on when hauling a car on my trailer, wanted to sway abit and a vibration, doesnt do it hauling the trailer empty, imy truck has air suspension

taz2016

Reaction score
It might be something else, but the only time I have encountered your exact problem turned out to be the tires. It drove me crazy trying to locate the cause until I replaced the tires.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try putting more air in the back tires when towing heavy. Obviously don't exceed the max PSI.

Last edited:

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow about 3,000ish pounds (boat), 30ft trailer very often, for short and long hauls, tandem axle trailer, with a tongue weight of around 300-400 pounds. No issues whatsoever, sometimes I have to remind myself that I actually have a trailer back there and slow down under 80. Trailer tire pressure at 30 per, truck rear tire pressure at 40 on 10 ply LT's. With Air Lift 1000 HD's at 50 PSI, ZERO squat.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Tires on trailer, not enough tongue weight...

I tow my Polaris RZR XP1000 on my 6x12 aluminum trailer, wood deck with a Ram 1500 Limited, air suspension and off road group. Not a single issue. Tows like a dream. Don't inflate the tires either.

Frank705

Reaction score
Did you get this resolved? I just noticed the same exact thing with my 2020 Limited. I have had 3 Rams in the past 10 Years but only one bait and trailer. Never had this issue with the other trucks. This is the first time towing on the highway for me with the boat and noticed it above 60-64.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JKS2015

Reaction score
Has anyone determined what the problem is and how to fix it?

jsrtsr

Reaction score
I have the same issue with 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 e-torque. pulled my 6X10
Utility trailer with a Troy Bilt rototiller. Truck shook with harmonic vibrations about 20 seconds apart @ 65 mph. And this trailer pulled great behind my last 5 pickup trucks.

jth877

Reaction score
Add me to the list. 2020 w/ 5.7. Crewcab. I've towed the same boat with 3 trucks. Old GMC= no vibrations, 2017 Ram+ some vibration, not too bad, 2020 RAM is a nightmare. Same boat and trailer @ about 5500lbs. Dual axle trailer. At 65mph the whole truck shakes like a dog crapping peach pits. Somewhat goes away 70+mph. Definitely a driveline angle vibration. I've had many lifted jeeps and this is where you would mess with the axle angle and check the cv joint and slip yoke.

Users who are viewing this thread