5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad temps?

Mclovin hemi

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentlemen i have a 2015 ram 1500 5.7 hemi and my temps get pretty hot i think, coolant running 80mph gets to 230 and oil will get to 248 any ideas on what i can do. Thank you!

397STROKER

Reaction score
That is high if you are cruising at 80. I would check your thermostat that it is opening like it should. I am not sure if the 2015s have the active air deflectors in front of the radiator but I would hope that would set off a CEL if they failed.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Might try flushing the coolant, followed by an oil change. Do the temps change substantially with the a/c on vs off?

Scram1500

Reaction score
Dirty radiator? They say the coolant is good for 10 years or 150,000 miles, you have two-three years left with your 2015 depending on the build date, assuming you aren't over 150K miles. Have you checked the coolant?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentlemen i have a 2015 ram 1500 5.7 hemi and my temps get pretty hot i think, coolant running 80mph gets to 230 and oil will get to 248 any ideas on what i can do. Thank you!
is the fan attached to the engine or the radiator?
reason is if attached to engine is fan clutch working?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep...if you're driving 80 on flat highway and not towing...those are high temps.

It's rare for a thermostat to go bad, but they do.
Also rare for a radiator to clog, but they do.
Water pumps go bad, too.
^^^
I'd think it's most likely one of those.

Get it up to temp, bring it home and keep it idling. Use an imaging IR camera (if you have access to one) or temperature gun, and check the temps on the hose leading INTO and OUT OF the radiator. While it's sitting there idling after driving it to get the temps up, the hose leading into the radiator should be pretty close to the temperature on your temp gauge. (You can also aim the temperature gun at the block and at the oil pan to get those temps.)

With the engine running while parked, and those temps, the radiator fans should be blowing (on the highway, at 80 mph, the airflow won't need the fans). The hose OUT of the radiator (usually the bottom hose) should be significantly cooler than the hot, in, hose.

If the INTO hose is not hot, but your engine is, then it's a thermostat (or possible water pump) issue.

If that hose is hot, but the outflow from the radiator is just as hot, then it's a radiator/fan problem.

All of the above is off-the-cuff and worth exactly how much you paid for it. ;)

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
May we assume you started with the easiest first -- coolant and oil levels?

If you have a small coolant leak, you could be down quite a bit without it affecting temps much until you're really pushing it. And oil serves to conduct heat away, so if it's low, there won't be as much transference.

Next easiest is a dirty or blocked radiator. Insufficient air flow will mean insufficient cooling. Look for a buildup of mud or dust. And if the 4th gens have louvers, that they're not stuck, as mentioned above.

Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread