5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad quality control?

Black_Pearl

Reaction score
I’m posting this in the general forum because I have had many different issues with only 2k miles on my new truck.

First problem was that the truck has had a very clunky feeling transmission. Erratic shifts, making driving for first 1500 miles unpleasant. I’ll have to say, the last 500 miles or so has been much better. Hopefully it’s “learning.”

My second issue is with a rough idle at cold start. This seems to be worse in colder temps, but is still present in 80 degree weather.

The third issue is a loud whine on cold start. This whine occurs when the idle is high for the first minute, but does not start immediately after crank. There sound starts as the idle begins to come down to normal rpms and usually lasts about 20 seconds until the idle normalizes. No other issues with the truck running and gas mileage is good.

Lastly, my driver door speaker is distorted from the factory. Sadly, I didn’t notice this as vehicle delivery, but the dealership is ordering me a new one.

Has anyone else had any of these issues? I’m disappointed that I’m having so many problems already. I have a video of the sound I can post.

popcenator

Reaction score
I'm usually ok with issues as long as they're resolved by the dealer without much delay. Stuff happens. I'm fortunate that I haven't had any issues really. My transmission feels a little sloppy at times, but I don't know what's normal and it usually is only when it's cold. Once the truck warms up it seems ok.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Black_Pearl

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. My dealer seems to dismiss things too soon as “normal.” My intentions here are to see if anyone else is experiencing these “normal” behaviors.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m posting this in the general forum because I have had many different issues with only 2k miles on my new truck.

First problem was that the truck has had a very clunky feeling transmission. Erratic shifts, making driving for first 1500 miles unpleasant. I’ll have to say, the last 500 miles or so has been much better. Hopefully it’s “learning.”

My second issue is with a rough idle at cold start. This seems to be worse in colder temps, but is still present in 80 degree weather.

The third issue is a loud whine on cold start. This whine occurs when the idle is high for the first minute, but does not start immediately after crank. There sound starts as the idle begins to come down to normal rpms and usually lasts about 20 seconds until the idle normalizes. No other issues with the truck running and gas mileage is good.

Lastly, my driver door speaker is distorted from the factory. Sadly, I didn’t notice this as vehicle delivery, but the dealership is ordering me a new one.

Has anyone else had any of these issues? I’m disappointed that I’m having so many problems already. I have a video of the sound I can post.
I'm usually ok with issues as long as they're resolved by the dealer without much delay. Stuff happens. I'm fortunate that I haven't had any issues really. My transmission feels a little sloppy at times, but I don't know what's normal and it usually is only when it's cold. Once the truck warms up it seems ok.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hi @Black_Pearl & @popcenator - Please know that we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support if you move forward with addressing any current concerns with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that I haven't experienced any issues with my truck. I have about 2600 miles of trouble-free driving. I'm sorry to hear that you're having as many issues as you are, and you should definitely be getting those things taken care of by your dealership. For any of the issues you have that they are describing as normal, ask them to prove it to you on one of the trucks on their lot.

Black_Pearl

Reaction score
Just an update..over two months later the dealership has finally taken a look at the vehicle. The speaker was replaced, but they don’t seem be sure if the noise on startup and weird shift is normal. They also can’t seem to get a truck in the same configuration to compare. I’ve opened a RamCares ticket to insist that the dealer follows up with a factory engineer.

does anybody out there have the 3.6 with etorque and do you have the loud sound like the one in the video in this thread like I’m experiencing?

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update..over two months later the dealership has finally taken a look at the vehicle. The speaker was replaced, but they don’t seem be sure if the noise on startup and weird shift is normal. They also can’t seem to get a truck in the same configuration to compare. I’ve opened a RamCares ticket to insist that the dealer follows up with a factory engineer.

does anybody out there have the 3.6 with etorque and do you have the loud sound like the one in the video in this thread like I’m experiencing?
Can you post a video?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They also can’t seem to get a truck in the same configuration to compare.
This might be one of the worst techniques the dealer uses to usher someone out of the door. Just because another POS on the lot functions the same way doesn't make it correct

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so i listened to your whine video... I dont have a 3.6 but I never heard anything like that. It almost sounds like a generator under load and the idle seems really high. As far as the transmission goes these trucks have so many gears they seem to be busy all the time while you accelerate up to cruising speed. They do seem to learn and smooth out over time. With respect to quality control I do not think that Ram is better or worse than other major companies.

Black_Pearl

Reaction score
Ok so i listened to your whine video... I dont have a 3.6 but I never heard anything like that. It almost sounds like a generator under load and the idle seems really high. As far as the transmission goes these trucks have so many gears they seem to be busy all the time while you accelerate up to cruising speed. They do seem to learn and smooth out over time. With respect to quality control I do not think that Ram is better or worse than other major companies.
Right. I feel like the sound is definitely unusual. The odd gear shift doesn’t do it but about 80% of the time so that’s why I feel it is not normal.

lonestar19

Reaction score

I bought mine at the end of Dec 2019 it was used had 8000 miles and back then it road pretty good transmission shifted descent and no whine noise in the engine compartment. 2 months ago transmission started acting up erratic shifts mainly at low speeds in traffic is when all this happens and the occassional extra shift with a slight bang. speeds between 15 to 45 mph and light throttling is when you tend to feel the bad shifting. Now if you press on gas a bit harder shifts tend to be better and smoother. Does not like light throttling in traffic. Dealer back then had did a reprogram and I thought they got it but didnt last fifty miles and back to bad shifting in traffic. Dealer told me or try to say this is normal and the reprograming may work or not. which it didn't then in Feb/march weather cold I started getting the whining in the engine almost sound like when idler pulley going bad but I think its the etorque generator as also my etorque engagement has gotten rougher. When I first bought the truck it was pretty smooth when it engaged. I like the truck the way it rides, looks but very disappointed with issues. Wish I had bought New. This isn't my first 8 speed transmission I had a 2017 ram also a V6 and didn't have these issue. Should have stay with that truck.

Black_Pearl

Reaction score
I agree with silver64. Sounds like the alternator is getting ready to crap. I know nothing about the Etorque, so maybe that is how it's supposed to sound.
If I’m not mistaken, the etorque replaces the traditional alternator. I listened to a 5.7 today with etorque at the dealership and it also had a noise. It actually sounded worse than my 3.6 but not quite as loud. As far as the odd hesitation, the tech rode with me and we experienced it a couple of times just going around the block. He was gonna defer to the expertise of the transmission guy though. He, unfortunately, wasn’t there but will be talking to them later this week. Got my truck back for now.

Black_Pearl

Reaction score
I bought mine at the end of Dec 2019 it was used had 8000 miles and back then it road pretty good transmission shifted descent and no whine noise in the engine compartment. 2 months ago transmission started acting up erratic shifts mainly at low speeds in traffic is when all this happens and the occassional extra shift with a slight bang. speeds between 15 to 45 mph and light throttling is when you tend to feel the bad shifting. Now if you press on gas a bit harder shifts tend to be better and smoother. Does not like light throttling in traffic. Dealer back then had did a reprogram and I thought they got it but didnt last fifty miles and back to bad shifting in traffic. Dealer told me or try to say this is normal and the reprograming may work or not. which it didn't then in Feb/march weather cold I started getting the whining in the engine almost sound like when idler pulley going bad but I think its the etorque generator as also my etorque engagement has gotten rougher. When I first bought the truck it was pretty smooth when it engaged. I like the truck the way it rides, looks but very disappointed with issues. Wish I had bought New. This isn't my first 8 speed transmission I had a 2017 ram also a V6 and didn't have these issue. Should have stay with that truck.
lonestar19 does yours whine the same way as my video?

Users who are viewing this thread