5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

Runagun

Reaction score
20.3 on the Lie-o-meter means you're probably really getting more like 18.something.
I've notice eco mode alot more on too. I have no reason to doubt it. I live in the country so I do a bunch of 20 to 30 minutes drives. 🤷‍♂️

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've notice eco mode alot more on too. I have no reason to doubt it. I live in the country so I do a bunch of 20 to 30 minutes drives. 🤷‍♂️

You have no reason to doubt the Lie-o-meter? If you haven't checked it by hand on a number of occasions, then why would you have reason to believe it?

I have logged every single fill-up I've done since I bought my '19 Hemi in June of '19. I traded it for a '21 EcoDiesel in July of '22.

In both trucks, my Lie-o-meter was reading higher than for real approximately 99% of the time. And it is quite often - to the point I would be inclined to say "usually" - off by between 1 and 2 MPG. On occasion it is off by well over 2 MPG.

It is virtually never lower than "actual". I think once, or maybe twice in 4 years (95K miles).

There are a few people that have posted that they have hand checked theirs a number of times and found it to be normally pretty close. But, I've never seen anyone else claim they check at every single fill-up and it's always, say, within 1 MPG - and also that it is equally high or low.

I always check mine and it is virtually always high.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never hand calculated. My lie o meter is always in the 17's. I can easily hit 21 on the lie o meter when I use trip mode on hwy. Overall, it's in the 17's 95% of the time.

So I'm getting 15 I guess according to the experts. I'll live.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to my fuelly entries, my "lie-o-meter" is 100% accurate.

That is awesome. I wish mine was...

I track all mine in Fuelly. I add a note with every fill-up saying what the computer says. Then I reset Trip 2 and the Fuel Economy gauge. I look back through them all and compare what my note of the computer says versus what Fuelly says. It is pretty sad how bad mine has been on both my 5th gens. It was about the same on my 4th gen, too, but I only checked it occasionally. Didn't start using Fuelly until I got my '19.

N0cturnal

Reaction score
My lie o' meter is only 0.5 or 0.6 more than hand calculated when I am driving locally, but it is about a mile and half less than hand calculated when I am doing highway. 🤷‍♂️

23RAM

Reaction score
So far over the course of 3500 miles mine has been fairly accurate - give or take about 1% which I figure is within the margin of error. However, overall MPG is meaningless when you have 5 minutes of winter warm-up time every morning before work. I don't really care what the overall "average" is because I expect to waste some fuel during warm up, or in summer heat, cooling the cabin before driving. What I care about is real world MPG when driving - typical city is about 18, highway 23 when unloaded. Towing 5k is about 16 city, 20 highway. My RAM uses less fuel towing a 5k trailer than my SUV with a V6 because it doesn't work as hard to tow the trailer. I'm satisfied with my mileage loaded, or unloaded.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I find that the computed MPG on my RAM is calculated more frequently than on my Fords. The RAM computed MPG reflects the last 50 or 60 miles and is not an indication of the full tank MPG, UNLESS you run a full tank all the way through at nearly the same conditions, like a long flat highway trip with no wind or hills.

This is the second summer with my RAM and at ~17,000 it has picked up about 10% better mileage than a year ago, according to the computer. Used to be 16-17 MPG and is now 17-18 MPG. I use MPG to keep track of the engine's health. My truck has had a slight hiccup on certain low speed accelerations since it was new. I am starting to suspect the throttle body.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find that the computed MPG on my RAM is calculated more frequently than on my Fords. The RAM computed MPG reflects the last 50 or 60 miles and is not an indication of the full tank MPG, UNLESS you run a full tank all the way through at nearly the same conditions, like a long flat highway trip with no wind or hills.

You are saying that my trip meter AND the Fuel Economy page on the main display are only telling me my MPG for the last 50 or 60 miles?

If that were true, then that would certainly explain my hand calculated numbers being different - on the tanks where, for example, I did a long highway trip and then the last 100 miles were just city driving after I got home.

But, I actually don't believe that.

irishwake63

Reaction score
It is based on an average, when I first bought my truck used it had a full tank and said range was less than 300 miles I drove pretty much in the city and when I filled it up again said around the same so I thought I had a smaller tank than the 26 gal I went on a highway trip and the range was actually going up as I was driving then on the way home I filled up again and it said 460 on the range avg economy was 22.6

Casull

Reaction score
I've got just under 2000 miles on mine. Haven't really paid any attention to the meter. But, hand calculated, my lowest was 16.7 and highest was 20.1. Haven't done any real highway driving (some mixed). Most has been short local rural driving. My office is only 5.5 miles from my home.

Olscool

Reaction score
I've got just under 2000 miles on mine. Haven't really paid any attention to the meter. But, hand calculated, my lowest was 16.7 and highest was 20.1. Haven't done any real highway driving (some mixed). Most has been short local rural driving. My office is only 5.5 miles from my home.
I commute almost 80 miles per day with my e-torque and definitely punch it when I feel like it. I checked and it is showing 20.7 on the dash.

BTB123

Reaction score
My Tundra was around 13.5 slightly modded. Small lift. My Rebel is 17.4 bone stock with the heavy Duratracs. I leave all Nannie’s enabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online