5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup camera not working

dfwkev

Reaction score
it's issue with 2021's too obviously. Same thing on my 2021 ram1500 laramie 4x4. unhooked battery came back on but backup camera icon is missing from touch screen.

RPCMoparluvr

Reaction score
Just happened to mine too. 2021 with 3k and backup camera not working at all now.
I need it as I have a pretty tight parking scenario. In my driveway. VERY DISSAPOINTING

SilasB

Reaction score
Hmmm...350 miles on the odometer and it appears that unlike my backup camera, I have joined this thread.

SilasB

Reaction score
Hmmm...350 miles on the odometer and it appears that unlike my backup camera, I have joined this thread.
Apparently the backup camera need a good night's sleep. Back and working this morning. Can't say I have a warm fuzzy feeling about this. Guess I better keep a log if it happens again.

AFDoc

Reaction score
2021 1500 4x4 Bighorn w/8.4 NAV. Backup camera screen went black 3x in Dec. Would come back up later in day or next day. Camera replaced by dealer mid January. Don’t think temps are the issue-went through two weeks of snowy,freezing hell in Feb and it worked fine the whole time. Rained over the weekend and worked fine on Sunday but failed again this am. Turned truck off then back on, still didn’t work. Dealer ordering another new camera, service rep says it’s a common issue. I have no confidence they are even working on a permanent fix.

Tomg

Reaction score
Well I can see I not alone.2021 Laramie 12 in screen just rolled over 1000 mi and no back up camera-black screen.

b.w.royder

Reaction score
Black screen twice over 2500 miles on a 21 Laramie with 12 inch screen.

Fasteddy001

Reaction score
Had the camera on my 2021 Laramie with 1500 miles go black this morning. The control menu (with heated seats,steering wheel icon, rear view mirror and camera icons) showed Camera on, but I was not able to see anything but a blank screen and turning the camera button on and off did nothing.I even shut the engine on and off a few times, still nothing. Came out a few hours later and slammed the tailgate, and now the camera works? Not sure if it was the tailgate slam or just the few hours wait.

Jeeper

Reaction score
306 km and I lost the camera as well, 12", Ram Rebel 2021

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Jeeper

Reaction score
306 km and I lost the camera as well, 12", Ram Rebel 2021

well that lasted 2 hours....came home parked the truck , went out 2 hours later and worked fine. I am.confident it will happen again

SJC5

Reaction score
I am in the same situation. 2021 Laramie 1500. It has failed three time, just a black screen. First time around 700 miles and again around 1000. Started working a few hours later but now becoming more regular. The third time I went into “Apps” and tried to turn the camera on and about 5 times and it eventually came on.

Jeeper

Reaction score
I am in the same situation. 2021 Laramie 1500. It has failed three time, just a black screen. First time around 700 miles and again around 1000. Started working a few hours later but now becoming more regular. The third time I went into “Apps” and tried to turn the camera on and about 5 times and it eventually came on.
weird....when my screen went black I went into the app to try and turn it on and off and the rear camera button was lit up and I couldn't turn on or off manually

BeardedYinzer

Reaction score
I should have stuck with Toyota, leaky rear window now this. I was treated to the black screen this morning when I went to hook my camper up. It was a huge PITA. I unhooked my battery for about 30 minutes, then hooked it back up. Once all apps came back a few hours later my screen was "fixed". I have a little over 2k miles on the truck.

AdrianVall

Reaction score
Haha well this is mildly amusing..

I’m joining the non working back up camera club. 2021 Ram Rebel, 1,600 miles. It’s one month old and it’s crazy to see that it’s not working. I’ll be making a service appointment. Unfortunately, my local dealership SUCKS but I don’t have much of a choice. This is a shame, especially it being it’s a known problem.

Havana Joe

Reaction score
Mine did this today....parked the truck and waited about thirty minutes.

Everything seemed ok after that.

Not very confidence inspiring when the truck only has 10k miles on it.

Luepa2000

Reaction score
Camera gave out today at 17,000 miles on my 2020 1500.
got a black screen on reverse for the whole day. Tried to fix it by disconnecting the battery and now the camera icon does not show up and is not recognized when the truck is put in reverse. Passenger side seat controls (AC and heat) also not showing up under controls now.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Camera gave out today at 17,000 miles on my 2020 1500.
got a black screen on reverse for the whole day. Tried to fix it by disconnecting the battery and now the camera icon does not show up and is not recognized when the truck is put in reverse. Passenger side seat controls (AC and heat) also not showing up under controls now.
Give it some time. My battery needed a charge (was replaced a few days later under warranty) and when I started the Ram I went for a 50 min ride or so, things came back over the course of the drive. I have also had my reverse camera go out but always came back the next day without doing anything.

My1stRam

Reaction score
Same problem with my 2021 1500 Big Horn w/ eTorque. Purchased 10/24/20. First time about a month after I purchased it. Second time, today at 12,035 miles. I haven't tried the "Apps" trick... shouldn't have to on a brand new truck!!! Urgh!!!

sep1006

Reaction score
Well crap i guess it's my turn. 2021 Rebel with 200 miles and pretty disappointing to be honest.

Anyway here's what I did to fix mine, so far so good.

Reactions: c3k

TRok

Reaction score
This is the saddest party...ever. Feels like Ram’s version of Covid. Truck was literally built last month; has 300 miles on it, and now its caught the black screen camera virus. I expect a few issues, but this is one that has been known for a couple years now. With no confirmed remedy other than treating it like a classic Nintendo system. “Just blow on it”. Lol, Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread