5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back up auto break.

ESL12

Reaction score
I Haven't had the chance to look. Is there a way to turn off the break assist but leave the tone alert on ( the beep ).

John813

Reaction score
I Haven't had the chance to look. Is there a way to turn off the break assist but leave the tone alert on ( the beep ).

Yes.

It's in the settings to turn off the brake assist and keep the beeping on. I believe there is an option lower the volume of the beeping as well. .

zman9119

Reaction score
Had to turn off the front since the second day I owned it as it slammed on the brakes \ locked up while I was slowing down (from 60mph) for a stoplight out in a rural area with nothing else around.

Back is off now too as it does not like my driveway and slams on the brakes randomly, or wide open street parking where it does the same.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA obviously still has some work to do on these "safety" features.
They all do. I keep hearing about autonomous driving being imminent, but I don't buy it. I've had several vehicles with all kinds of 'driver aids'. The problem with sensors and computers is that they are unable to anticipate what other drivers are doing. Their perception of the world is where are things right now...how 'bout now....now? When someone in front of you is slowing to turn, you can anticipate when they'll clear the lane, and cover the brake for when you might need to slow down to avoid a collision, but also continue forward knowing that they'll likely not be there by the time you get there. I've been driving for quite a while. I keep a moving 360 degree 3D situational awareness of where vehicles are around me with the supercomputer that God gave me.

I had the forward collision avoidance almost get me into an accident when it jammed on the brakes in snow/ice when someone was about 40+ feet in front of me making a right hand turn. Too much brake that didn't even need to be applied. I put the forward distance at the minimum level after that.

Rear is off because the slight angle of my driveway sets it off. I have cameras and sensors to avoid backing into something and never backed into anything prior to those technologies even existing.

Pribilof

Reaction score
I turned mine off. I look at an auto braking system as I do a safety on a gun... the only true safety is between your ears.

bdm219

Reaction score
I also have a Big Horn, but I don't believe mine will brake if it senses a forward collision. I think it just beeps if I get to close to something. Mine only auto brakes in reverse. What package do you have that gives you the forward collision braking?

Had to turn off the front since the second day I owned it as it slammed on the brakes \ locked up while I was slowing down (from 60mph) for a stoplight out in a rural area with nothing else around.

Back is off now too as it does not like my driveway and slams on the brakes randomly, or wide open street parking where it does the same.

zman9119

Reaction score
I also have a Big Horn, but I don't believe mine will brake if it senses a forward collision. I think it just beeps if I get to close to something. Mine only auto brakes in reverse. What package do you have that gives you the forward collision braking?

That is the weird thing as I do not have FCW on it, just the "Park Assist".

I was starting to slow down for a red light, speed was 60mph and was probably coasting down to 40mph when it happened (in drive, not reverse...). Just had the !BRAKE! red screen pop-up on the cluster and brakes slam on. It was a clear day, perfect road conditions, no other vehicles around.

CenterFire

Reaction score
That is the weird thing as I do not have FCW on it, just the "Park Assist".

I was starting to slow down for a red light, speed was 60mph and was probably coasting down to 40mph when it happened (in drive, not reverse...). Just had the !BRAKE! red screen pop-up on the cluster and brakes slam on. It was a clear day, perfect road conditions, no other vehicles around.

Any resolution to this? I have the same issues where I've had it slam the breaks while backing up in an open parking lot with nothing around. Turn it off isn't an answer to me, it's part of what I paid for and I expect it to work.

M3Master

Reaction score
Happens on my brand new '20 with a 10/19 build date. Only in reverse so far. Can't wait for it to happen going down the goddamn highway.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Careful, I shut both off. Good way to get rear ended. Wife’s Subaru is way less cranky about this.

Users who are viewing this thread