5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back again with suspension clarification

jamesfg

Reaction score
My Rough Country 6" lift shipped out on Weds and I was browsing their webpage....they now state

"Does NOT fit Rebel models"

No my truck doesn't have air suspension so going in for round 2, what could be different from the Rebel versus the other models? Any solid or crazy ideas are welcomed.

I'll make it fit one way or another, I got a welder and a plasma cutter. Just wanna know what I might need to pre-plan for.

Thanks in advance

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My guess would be exactly what you have said. The last Gen truck had air suspension standard and only air suspension.

I don't see how the ORP would be any different and I also don't see how the Limited wouldn't also be in this disclaimer.

Good luck with the install, I feel it will go just fine.

But if you do come across this mystery reason, be sure to let us know.

Hope it works well

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is because of the longer struts. It also says it is not for use with the offroad package and that it could cause vibration from the cv joints. I'm no expert but I don't think that extra inch will do any damage.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I'm over at my buddies shop. Put the truck on the lift and pulled up the RC install steps. We cannot see any difference from the install to what's on the Rebel. I'm going to get rear shock mount extensions and weld those in to keep use of the Bilstein shocks.

Kevin C

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing it complete - and learn what you had to do to make it work.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exact same reaction I had when I got into leveling mine... wtf are they talking about? The only problem I encountered was the slight angle on the lower strut mount was off when turning the strut around to accept the new upper studs. Other than that, everything lined up perfectly and fit flawlessly. All my parts were for 4th Gen 1500 and fit my Rebel.

Can't wait to see yours!

jamesfg

Reaction score
Lift is in Phoenix, pick it up tomorrow. Install Sat at 0600 at my house. PM for addy.........lol

jamesfg

Reaction score
These guys @ RC....I dont think they know what they're talking about.

Anyone care to chime in?
20181001_152251.jpg

jamesfg

Reaction score
Called my local dealer parts dept, they said both the upper and lower control arms are the same exact part number for a Rebel and a 4x4 Longhorn. Now I'm really thinking RC dont know what they are talking about.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm guessing he is saying that just because the strut itself is 1" longer, I dont see a problem with it

jamesfg

Reaction score
I get what your saying but the height would come from a spacer or the springs, right?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get what your saying but the height would come from a spacer or the springs, right?

No, the height comes from the actual strut itself being longer. Look at the Mopar 2" lift, it comes with new struts, not springs. The spring spacer it does come with is for the rear. The Rebel and Offroad package work the same way. It has a longer strut to give it the extra 1" lift. This is why they say the Rebel or the Offroad package is not compatible with the Mopar lift. You could do it, but since you are replacing the Rebel strut (which is already 1" longer) with the 2" strut in the Mopar lift, you would only achieve 1" extra instead of the 2" the kit is advertised as.

So your Rough Country lift will make the truck 7" higher than a stock non Rebel (or Offroad Package) Ram, if you go forward and use the struts you already have. Since you are doing a differential drop already, I would imagine the extra inch would make very little difference. The angles for the cv joint, tie rods, etc would still be better than somebody that just went and put a 2" leveling kit on.

jamesfg

Reaction score
No, the height comes from the actual strut itself being longer.

Ok so I thought about this and I ordered a set of Bilstein from shocks off a '17 Laramie 1500 4x4. I'll compare those to the Bilsteins in the truck when I start disassembling it. If the spring cup is lower we gonna be in bizness.

I'm hoping that your right and you saved the day. Tune in on Saturday.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so I thought about this and I ordered a set of Bilstein from shocks off a '17 Laramie 1500 4x4. I'll compare those to the Bilsteins in the truck when I start disassembling it. If the spring cup is lower we gonna be in bizness.

I'm hoping that your right and you saved the day. Tune in on Saturday.
Good luck with the install. I look forward to seeing it. You got them off a 2017? I believe the struts are different sizes in the 5th gens. Somebody had a post showing the differences and showing the 5100s from the 4th gens weren't going to work.

Also, I am not sure how the lift is achieved in the rear for the Rebel. It has to be either a spacer or a longer spring.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Vader said aboce that his 4th gen shocks fit but were a bit finicky.

I just gotta find out where the 1" comes from. If they dont fit, back to Amazon and I'll see what Bilstein says for their shock for a 19.

Rear? Hmmmm. I'm going to weld in shock extenders and use the OEM Bilstein. I dont wanna replace the rears with RC's $40 shocks.

Theres gonna be alot of could'a, should'a, would'a but I'm not scared.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I just gotta find out where the 1" comes from. If they dont fit, back to Amazon and I'll see what Bilstein says for their shock for a 19.

Rear? Hmmmm. I'm going to weld in shock extenders and use the OEM Bilstein. I dont wanna replace the rears with RC's $40 shocks.

I have seen plenty of OEM shocks on for the 2019s on eBay. Most of them have been takeoffs from the dealer from somebody getting the Mopar lift. I would imagine Bilstiein has some shocks out after Sema but I doubt we see any before that.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Sorry, what I said was the 4th Gen spacers and UCA's fit perfectly with my 5th Gen front struts. The finicky part was getting the angle right at the bottom control arm mount to push the bolt through.

I was just confirming what everyone is thinking, 4th Gen kits will fit all 5th Gen trims, coilspring equiped Rebel included.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Thanks Vader, appreciate the clarification. Wife is picking up the lift tomorrow so my options are to use the Bilsteins I got from Amazon or cut 1" out of the strut spacer (the spacer is 3") and weld it back together. My OCD says cut the spacer as the truck rides surprisingly well for being a truck.

For those interested.....stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread