5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B2 Fab Magnaflow vs. Magnaflow Cat Back....

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Can't decide between a B2 Fab Magnaflow muffler or a full Magnaflow cat back system. Not sure which is louder or sounds better. I see B2's point that the factory exhaust is already T409, so why replace the whole system (unless you're replacing with T304 like Borla), but I suppose it still comes down to sound and performance. I hate that I can't hear any of them in person prior to purchasing....

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the big difference is when going full catback you are eliminating the resonators as well. The new pipes are also designed specifically to that muffler setup so your sound will be tuned a bit better with the new airflow, etc. Lastly, since you won’t have resonators, you also won’t have the weep holes in the resonators. Some members complain that when simply upgrading their muffler and leaving the resonators, they can hear air leaks when MDS kicks in. A full catback will not have that issue.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I think the big difference is when going full catback you are eliminating the resonators as well. The new pipes are also designed specifically to that muffler setup so your sound will be tuned a bit better with the new airflow, etc. Lastly, since you won’t have resonators, you also won’t have the weep holes in the resonators. Some members complain that when simply upgrading their muffler and leaving the resonators, they can hear air leaks when MDS kicks in. A full catback will not have that issue.

Good to know. So will the magnaflow system be a ton louder than just the B2 muffler swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Theoretically it should. You can probably find sound clips of both if you search. I believe when magnaflow does their catback they use an 18” muffler instead of the 14” which is used in the b2 setup. Not sure why magnaflow doesn’t have a 14” option in their catback but maybe there’s a reason. But since you have new piping and no resonators I would think the tone to be louder but not sure how much. I doubt it’s going to be night and day. B2 is definitely the easier and cheaper way to go. If you don’t like it you can easily remove it, sell it easily and then go full catback

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Theoretically it should. You can probably find sound clips of both if you search. I believe when magnaflow does their catback they use an 18” muffler instead of the 14” which is used in the b2 setup. Not sure why magnaflow doesn’t have a 14” option in their catback but maybe there’s a reason. But since you have new piping and no resonators I would think the tone to be louder but not sure how much. I doubt it’s going to be night and day. B2 is definitely the easier and cheaper way to go. If you don’t like it you can easily remove it, sell it easily and then go full catback
Interesting. An 18” would be quieter than a 14”, but they could compensate with pipe tuning. I’m sure they sized the muffler based on desired sound quality.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Interesting. An 18” would be quieter than a 14”, but they could compensate with pipe tuning. I’m sure they sized the muffler based on desired sound quality.

Exactly. I guess they calculated the airflow, sound etc and came up with that as optimal. But with the design of these new exhausts and the inlet/outlet design being quieter, I would have thought they would have been more aggressive.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The magnaflow catback muffler is 22"

I had a 24" magnaflow muffler on prior to that and the sound definitely wasn't enough and sounded off because I didnt replace everything.

Once I put the full catback on I was extremely happy with the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread