5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Avoid Extang

Ccm12

Reaction score
Just a note if you are looking for a bed cover I highly recommend you stay away from Extang. They will not honor their warranty because I am unable to provide proof of sales. The fabric they use on top of their covers is peeling and it is around 2 years old. The truck is a 2019 so there is no way it could be over 5 years old.
Horrible customer service
Extang xceed

Attachments

• 2D4F1727-5844-464E-8A20-7834F85CDDDB.jpeg
    2D4F1727-5844-464E-8A20-7834F85CDDDB.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 107
  • A73F0749-48E3-48B4-B282-9BD5ADD16C59.jpeg
    A73F0749-48E3-48B4-B282-9BD5ADD16C59.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 107

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have 2 Extang snap covers, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 and 2019 Ram 1500. The 2001 is excellent (fit and performance, no water) and I will probably be replacing the vinyl cover on the 2001. The 2019 is a disappointment as the clamps do not fit well, the rails are improperly labeled for the cross members and I get some water.

I was in need of the long clamps but Extang does not / can not send out individual clamps, only a complete set. I give high marks to them for sending me the package at no cost under lifetime warranty. However it was the wrong set for my cover and did not have long clamps. I still have the original package and associated package number but that did not matter as the Extang rep only knew what was in the computer. That package I had to purchase. I had purchased the cover in December of 2018 (early in the NEW 1500 Ram) and I believe the cover under went modifications.

I would still "consider" purchasing an Extang cover. Service can be contacted via phone, parts are available 20 years later and they did cover the warranty BUT the computer information took precedence. Truck Hero purchased Extang among many other companies and I have no comment on that aspect.

I had a similar experience with National Grid the NYC natural gas company. Lady on the phone said the meter was turned off while I was at the scene with the meter still turning. They sent out a tech to turn on the "on" meter. My experience is things are getting worse and the medical field is the tops on that list. No face to face contact available and "reps" can only do what the computer allows and do not extend themselves to resolve issues.

Warranties can be tricky particularly if you need to send the item back and need a receipt from many years back.

Caveat emptor!

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
I can understand the disappointment but if the manufacturer requires proof of purchase for a warranty claim, how is that horrible customer service?

The Extang warranty is good for the original purchaser only. Without the receipt, how would they know who you are? Did you register the warranty when you purchased? It looks like you may be covered if you did that.

The warranty applies to the original consumer/purchaser. Warranty registration must be on file and/or proof of original purchase (detailed and dated receipt) is required for the warranty to be effective. Warranty coverage starts from the date of purchase.

This is why I use my phone to scan and save important receipts...

NRitland2

Reaction score
Ive had extang tri fold tonneaus on a tacoma and now the Ram and they’ve been excellent…

Sucks to have a bad experience though

Oilslick

Reaction score
I just had the peeling on my Xceed. I provided Extang the required info to process the warranty and they provided me three options to honor their warranty.
1- send another Xceed.
2- send me a Extang Trifold 2.0
3- send me a BAK MX4 (which I opted for)

I'm very happy and satisfied with their customer service. They had the new cover shipped within 2 days and I received it in about a week. It's sad that they had this peeling issue but defects happen all the time when manufacturing just about everything.

:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread