5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auxiliary tank

kittyjo

Reaction score
Does anyone know if using any transfer flow auxiliary tank on a non diesel truck with have any problems? Most are made for diesel but trying to find one for gas that will fit underneath tonneau cover.. thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if using any transfer flow auxiliary tank on a non diesel truck with have any problems? Most are made for diesel but trying to find one for gas that will fit underneath tonneau cover.. thanks
You probably won't have any issues with operation, but legally they are against DOT regulations

kittyjo

Reaction score
You probably won't have any issues with operation, but legally they are against DOT regulations
Well idc that’s y I want it under the hard tonneau cover. Lol just as long as it works I’m good

kittyjo

Reaction score
Here’s what I’m thinking… low profile and can close the top no problem

Attachments

• 0AD3C149-FE8D-44EF-9B8C-B79E1CCBFD0E.png
    0AD3C149-FE8D-44EF-9B8C-B79E1CCBFD0E.png
    288.4 KB · Views: 55

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
If you connect that permanently somehow to the gas tank, you may mess up the EVAP monitor and set a bunch of codes and check engine lights. Diesels do not have an EVAP system, so none of that matters. Also if it vents into the tank, it may overload the charcoal canister and ruin it. Trapped under a tonneau, any fumes venting may gather which would be really dangerous. You'd want to set up a bilge blower like a power boat has.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
E20C820C-EF09-42A4-A0B1-E7A0F9DADF20.jpeg
RDS makes a load of awesome tanks, this one sits about 1/2 inch under the bed sides with the pump’s nozzle holder removed. Though this tank won’t work because you need the longer bed but they do make a similar one that could fit.

If you’re going to go against DOT guidelines at least make sure the tank is approved to store gasoline, and put a valve on the fuel line going into the tank and vent the transfer tank out of the bed. Letting fuel transfer while the truck is running Will set off a bunch of error codes as stated above.

You’re also probably going to need some anti static fuel line to safely transfer the gasoline, unless you don’t mind your truck potentially becoming a ball of fire🤣

Have you done much research into what size tank you want?

Majortom

Reaction score
Right up front, I have very little knowledge on this subject, so please forgive if this doesn’t make sense. But given the cost associated to having an external tank added, wouldn't it make sense to apply that money toward a 33 gallon tank which meets standards, is safer, and can allow adjustments so the the EVAP system doesn’t throw codes? I know there’s a cost differential but seems to have a safer vehicle, while retaining full use of the bed and not dealing with having to connect pump/hose, etc might be worth the extra $???

kittyjo

Reaction score
1659391026998.jpeg
This is what I use on top of the 26gallon tank..2 15gallons

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right up front, I have very little knowledge on this subject, so please forgive if this doesn’t make sense. But given the cost associated to having an external tank added, wouldn't it make sense to apply that money toward a 33 gallon tank which meets standards, is safer, and can allow adjustments so the the EVAP system doesn’t throw codes? I know there’s a cost differential but seems to have a safer vehicle, while retaining full use of the bed and not dealing with having to connect pump/hose, etc might be worth the extra $???
Going to the 33 is definitely the way to go if you just want a little more range and more importantly need all your bed space. My bed sits empty about 95% of the time and the space the 33 gallon tank takes up vs the 26 (which is what I have) is right where my air compressor system will be going in the future. That plus the massive range bump I was looking for is why I went with an external tank. If you’re going to spend the money you get a lot more range/capacity for the price vs converting your factory tank.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made a tank from the Bottom 8" of my toolbox for my '08 RAM Bighorn. There are DOT regs, EPA regs,
and the trucks computer to deal with.

DOT needs OEM or better Parts. I used SS braided line with Aircraft fittings.

EPA needs you to pull from the top of the tank, you can't use a drain system.

It has to be a sealed system for the computer. So along with the Transfer Line, you
need a vent line between tanks. I ran both lines to the filler neck with the vent a little higher.
As long as the Fuel gauge goes up and down there won't be a code thrown for a Sender unit
or gauge malfunction. I can transfer mine on the fly while driving.

I am currently adding a AUX tank to my 2021 Ecodiesel of 72 gallons. with the stock tanks 33 gallons,
and getting the claimed 29 MPG that gives me a range of around 3000 miles.

Malodave

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made a tank from the Bottom 8" of my toolbox for my '08 RAM Bighorn. There are DOT regs, EPA regs,

It has to be a sealed system for the computer. So along with the Transfer Line, you
need a vent line between tanks. I ran both lines to the filler neck with the vent a little higher.
As long as the Fuel gauge goes up and down there won't be a code thrown for a Sender unit

I am currently adding a AUX tank to my 2021 Ecodiesel of 72 gallons. with the stock tanks 33 gallons,

Malodave
anyway we can swap the 33 gal for a bigger tank ? underneath?

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea im gonna see only thing that sucks is i use my bed alot … and then the fact that i have ramboxes also

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Malodave
I look foward to seeing your complete setup, is the tank going to be custom?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I look foward to seeing your complete setup, is the tank going to be custom?
Yes. it will be 20"H x 60"W x 14"D. The Filler neck will be accessed thru the Windoors of my Bed Cap.
I just need to tap a few holes for the transfer lines. Then get it to my welder.

Malodave

Attachments

• 2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_3.jpg
    2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_3.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread