5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aux trailer camera

jarnold60

Reaction score
Does anyone have the 2022 aux trailer camera that displays on your digital rear view mirror? I have the option but I get the blue screen on u-connect when I try to select aux camera. On the rear view mirror it shows the camera is not connected. My U connect just updated fixing the issue with the cargo camera displaying with aux camera button, so now it displays with the cargo camera button, but the aux camera still does not work when plugged into the bumper. I brought the truck to the dealership and they were unable to solve the issue and have a call into tech services for help. Anyone have similar issues, or has a working camera?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have the 2022 aux trailer camera that displays on your digital rear view mirror? I have the option but I get the blue screen on u-connect when I try to select aux camera. On the rear view mirror it shows the camera is not connected. My U connect just updated fixing the issue with the cargo camera displaying with aux camera button, so now it displays with the cargo camera button, but the aux camera still does not work when plugged into the bumper. I brought the truck to the dealership and they were unable to solve the issue and have a call into tech services for help. Anyone have similar issues, or has a working camera?
You are referencing two completely different cameras. The digital rear view mirror will display the rear facing camera that is in the CHMSL (not to be confused with the cargo camera in the CHMSL). It will also display the tow mode camera if you have it. The tow mode camera kit has a single coax cable that plugs into the port on the driver side of the rear license plate. It is only displayed/controlled in the rear view mirror, and nothing with the radio screen controls it.
The aux camera soft key on the radio screen is for a completely different camera. That camera would be part of the mopar trailer camera kit, and it plugs into the 12-way trailer connector on the passenger side of the rear license plate. If you have the trailer surround view system, that would use the 12-way trailer connector also, so you can only use one or the other- Mopar aux trailer camera kit, or trailer surround view kit.

jarnold60

Reaction score
Yes I realize the difference although I was not aware the aux soft key was for the trailer surround system, and not the tow mode camera, thank you. I have the trailer tow mode camera as you call it and I realize that it plugs into the left hand socket not the 12 pin plug above the 7 pin plug. As I indicated the digital rearview mirror shows it as disconnected and is not recognizing it. I'm looking for someone that has a working tow mode camera in a 2022 model so I know if this is an across the board issue or just an issue with my camera or mirror. Thank you for the clarification on the two systems.

jarnold60

Reaction score
Start checking for a loose connection between the mirror and bumper port.
Thanks I've seen this video. I did mention it to the service tech at the dealership, but of course they want to rule out all other simpler solutions before they start ripping apart the interior. I did ensure the connectors from the cab to the bumper are tight. It is possible the camera is faulty but due to very low inventory the dealer does not have another truck with this option or spare camera to check with my truck. Once again another frustration. Thanks for the help.

jarnold60

Reaction score
Found the loose connection and have camera working. Surprisingly it was where the camera connects with the 50' cable.

Reaction score
Curious if anyone can tell me whether my 2022 Limited 1500 with 360° surround camera system also had the option to have a Tow Mode camera for the digital mirror? Looks like it doesn’t have that co-axial connection.

Attachments

• 5A6EC881-B8E3-479D-9D8B-A76E9C8F82CB.jpeg
    5A6EC881-B8E3-479D-9D8B-A76E9C8F82CB.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 61

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures and/or part numbers of the coaxial port? I'm wondering if it might be useful for third party (BlackVue if you must know) camera?

MLB12

Reaction score
You are referencing two completely different cameras. The digital rear view mirror will display the rear facing camera that is in the CHMSL (not to be confused with the cargo camera in the CHMSL). It will also display the tow mode camera if you have it. The tow mode camera kit has a single coax cable that plugs into the port on the driver side of the rear license plate. It is only displayed/controlled in the rear view mirror, and nothing with the radio screen controls it.
The aux camera soft key on the radio screen is for a completely different camera. That camera would be part of the mopar trailer camera kit, and it plugs into the 12-way trailer connector on the passenger side of the rear license plate. If you have the trailer surround view system, that would use the 12-way trailer connector also, so you can only use one or the other- Mopar aux trailer camera kit, or

Anyone have pictures and/or part numbers of the coaxial port? I'm wondering if it might be useful for third party (BlackVue if you must know) camera?

There's a complete kit offered by RAM for the trailer mounted cable and camera, so one would think there would be a kit for the truck end: bumper mounted connector port, cable, and correct digital rear view mirror.
But then the question is, can that be adapted to a pre-2022 1500, and would it require waking it up at the BCM?

I sent an email to Alexey at AlfaOBD but he only shows a reference to the auxiliary camera.

Thoughts anyone??

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There's a complete kit offered by RAM for the trailer mounted cable and camera, so one would think there would be a kit for the truck end: bumper mounted connector port, cable, and correct digital rear view mirror.
But then the question is, can that be adapted to a pre-2022 1500, and would it require waking it up at the BCM?

I sent an email to Alexey at AlfaOBD but he only shows a reference to the auxiliary camera.

Thoughts anyone??
There is no “truck side” kit. All you need is a digital mirror that has both camera inputs, a length of female to female fakra z RG58 coax cable (to go from mirror to bumper port), and the bumper port (not sure on the part number off hand).
As long as the truck is 2021+, the tow mode camera will work.
AlfaOBD is not needed, because it’s not a setting in the BCM that makes the mirror/camera work.

Reactions: TMF

jmwelter

Reaction score
There is no “truck side” kit. All you need is a digital mirror that has both camera inputs, a length of female to female fakra z RG58 coax cable (to go from mirror to bumper port), and the bumper port (not sure on the part number off hand).
As long as the truck is 2021+, the tow mode camera will work.
AlfaOBD is not needed, because it’s not a setting in the BCM that makes the mirror/camera work.
Jimmy07, do you happen to know where the connection is inside the truck to the digital mirror?

jmwelter

Reaction score
Jimmy07, do you happen to know where the connection is inside the truck to the digital mirror?
I do not. Not sure how to find this out. I am pretty sure I do not have the dual input digital mirror

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread