5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aux lighting help

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello fellow ram owners, I’m needing help on the wiring for adding aux light for reverse. I recently bought the curt harness and swore I saved the thread where I got the idea but I can not find it.

If any one can help me I would appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_6493.png
    IMG_6493.png
    182.5 KB · Views: 24

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello fellow ram owners, I’m needing help on the wiring for adding aux light for reverse. I recently bought the curt harness and swore I saved the thread where I got the idea but I can not find it.

What style connectors do your new lights have?

I bought this one and the splitter harness to connect two 2-pin duestch style light pods.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Splitter harness

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My lights just have a red and black lead on them. I’m pretty good at soldering so I bought some 2 pin deutsch connectors a while back and have a spool of wire.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Not sure which one you want.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California

Sorry to tell you but that's not the right Curt harness. You want the one that has a 7 pin on the end, not a 4 pin. 4 pin only has tail, right turn. left turn, and ground. 7 pin adds reverse lights, brake control, and 12V charging.

This thread is probably the one you wanted

Littlejoe81

Reaction score

Maybe looking for this....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-30 8.40.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-30 8.40.54 PM.png
    146 KB · Views: 15

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you but that's not the right Curt harness. You want the one that has a 7 pin on the end, not a 4 pin. 4 pin only has tail, right turn. left turn, and ground. 7 pin adds reverse lights, brake control, and 12V charging.

This is it thanks!

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thank u

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Correct me if I’m misunderstanding the install. From what I gather is I tie the curt adapter into the oem harness then use a flat 5pin connector and wire a ground and reverse power source to my lights??

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So I need to tap into the black/ reverse and white/ground correct?

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Correct me if I’m misunderstanding the install. From what I gather is I tie the curt adapter into the oem harness then use a flat 5pin connector and wire a ground and reverse power source to my lights??
A 4 pin has no reverse light feed. Period. A 5 pin or a 7 pin will

The way it works is to plug a harness into the backside of the 7 pin connection. Then you can cut the wires you don't want or tie them out of the way or whatever and use the black and white wires to power your auxiliary backups. White is ground, black is power.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Or buy the one from Vice Design I linked above

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A 4 pin has no reverse light feed. Period. A 5 pin or a 7 pin will

The way it works is to plug a harness into the backside of the 7 pin connection. Then you can cut the wires you don't want or tie them out of the way or whatever and use the black and white wires to power your auxiliary backups. White is ground, black is power.
Right I’m clear on that I am returning the harness I got and getting the correct 56584

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can still use that harness and just splice into the 7 pin wires instead of trying to pull off the 4 pin. The whole point of using that harness is so you don't cut up any OEM wires, so if your wiring doesn't work you can take it back to stock without any modifications.

But yeah, if you're trying to attach a plug to the 4 pin connector you'll need to return that harness for a 5 or 7 pin to get the right power source.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can still use that harness and just splice into the 7 pin wires instead of trying to pull off the 4 pin. The whole point of using that harness is so you don't cut up any OEM wires, so if your wiring doesn't work you can take it back to stock without any modifications.

But yeah, if you're trying to attach a plug to the 4 pin connector you'll need to return that harness for a 5 or 7 pin to get the right power source.
I found the correct Curt harness for 30 bucks and returned the other one to Amazon. No biggie and I appreciate the input

Users who are viewing this thread