5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Remote Start

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So today I tried to use my remote automatic start. I clicked the button twice on my remote. The car honked twice but never started. Any ideas?

Ramlax

Reaction score
yes, if the gas light is on this will happen. if the gas light is not on then you have a problem.

Flot

Reaction score
If anyone has figured out the logic behind two beeps vs three beeps (and then it still starts) I'd sincerely appreciate it.

I'm familiar with remote start not working - or working then shutting off - if you're low on fuel. Same in my 2011.

Ramlax

Reaction score
If anyone has figured out the logic behind two beeps vs three beeps (and then it still starts) I'd sincerely appreciate it.

I'm familiar with remote start not working - or working then shutting off - if you're low on fuel. Same in my 2011.
wait...what? you have had the horn beep twice when remote starting the RAM?

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Have you tried remote start with the truck locked Vs unlocked?

Personally, I turned off all the beeps

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you've tried to remote start it a few times, get in and start it as normal. Then try the remote start again.

Icecold77

Reaction score
Mine beeps twice and then starts a second or two later every time. If yours beeps twice and does not start then you have a problem.

Exactly... That's what should happen. Yes you can shut horns off.. but ideally this is how it works. I will say the 1st few times I remote started mine, it sounded like it was going to stall. Threw in a better breathing air filter... Idiles much smoother now- period.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
It won't start with a door open or cracked, not sure if the tailgate has to be shut as well but we all know how hard you have to slam the tailgate to shut it properly.

wolf1776

Reaction score
REMOTE STARTING SYSTEM
The remote starting system will allow the vehicle to be started from distances of up to approximately 100 m (328 ft.) away from the vehicle. It operates using the remote keyless entry key fob which is part of your ignition key.

In order to remote start your vehicle, the hood and all the doors must be closed.

To remote start your vehicle, press the REMOTE START button on the key fob twice within three seconds. To indicate that the vehicle is about to start, the parking lights will flash and the horn will sound briefly.

Once the vehicle has started, the engine will run for 15 minutes. To cancel remote start, press the REMOTE START button once.

The parking lamps will remain illuminated to indicate that the vehicle has remote started and the engine is running. The lamps will turn off when the ignition is turned to RUN or the remote start is cancelled.

To enter the vehicle while the engine is running during a remote start, you must first unlock the vehicle using the UNLOCK button on the key fob. After the vehicle is unlocked, you have 60 seconds to enter the vehicle, insert the key in the Ignition and move it to the RUN position, otherwise the engine will cancel remote start and automatically turn off.

Remote start will cancel if any of the following occur:

• If the engine stalls or RPM exceeds 2500
  • Any engine warning lamps come on
  • The hood is opened
  • The hazard switch is pressed
  • The transmission is moved out of park
  • Low fuel indicator is on. Low fuel levels
  • The brake pedal is pressed before the vehicle door has been unlocked. If you remote start the vehicle while inside the vehicle and press the brake pedal, the vehicle remote start will cancel
The vehicle can be started remotely up to a maximum of two times. The vehicle is also allowed a maximum of one failed start. This is where the remote start sequence was initiated but the engine stopped cranking without starting. After either of these conditions, or if the Vehicle Theft Alarm is alarming, or if the PANIC button was pressed, the vehicle must be reset by inserting a valid key into the ignition and moving it to the RUN position, then back to LOCK.

Icecold77

Reaction score
REMOTE STARTING SYSTEM
The remote starting system will allow the vehicle to be started from distances of up to approximately 100 m (328 ft.) away from the vehicle. It operates using the remote keyless entry key fob which is part of your ignition key.

In order to remote start your vehicle, the hood and all the doors must be closed.

To remote start your vehicle, press the REMOTE START button on the key fob twice within three seconds. To indicate that the vehicle is about to start, the parking lights will flash and the horn will sound briefly.

Once the vehicle has started, the engine will run for 15 minutes. To cancel remote start, press the REMOTE START button once.

The parking lamps will remain illuminated to indicate that the vehicle has remote started and the engine is running. The lamps will turn off when the ignition is turned to RUN or the remote start is cancelled.

To enter the vehicle while the engine is running during a remote start, you must first unlock the vehicle using the UNLOCK button on the key fob. After the vehicle is unlocked, you have 60 seconds to enter the vehicle, insert the key in the Ignition and move it to the RUN position, otherwise the engine will cancel remote start and automatically turn off.

Remote start will cancel if any of the following occur:

• If the engine stalls or RPM exceeds 2500
  • Any engine warning lamps come on
  • The hood is opened
  • The hazard switch is pressed
  • The transmission is moved out of park
  • Low fuel indicator is on. Low fuel levels
  • The brake pedal is pressed before the vehicle door has been unlocked. If you remote start the vehicle while inside the vehicle and press the brake pedal, the vehicle remote start will cancel
The vehicle can be started remotely up to a maximum of two times. The vehicle is also allowed a maximum of one failed start. This is where the remote start sequence was initiated but the engine stopped cranking without starting. After either of these conditions, or if the Vehicle Theft Alarm is alarming, or if the PANIC button was pressed, the vehicle must be reset by inserting a valid key into the ignition and moving it to the RUN position, then back to LOCK.

Textbook answer!

MachineX

Young and retired in Texas...
Reaction score
"...reset by inserting a valid key into the ignition..." What is this key they keep referencing? And how do you "...turn the ignition to run..." exactly?

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

2nd this. I get two or three beeps with no apparent rhyme or reason.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its started today fine with he remote start. thanks

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2nd this. I get two or three beeps with no apparent rhyme or reason.

I'm thinking you are getting 3 beeps when your doors are unlocked. One beep indicating the doors are locking and 2 for the remote start. The times you get 2 beeps I'd be willing to bet the doors are already locked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread