5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Parking Brake

Eric_N

Reaction score
So I've been meaning to ask on here for a while but I keep forgetting. I have the automatic parking brake set to on and randomly when I go from parked to drive the brake gets released automatically and other times I have to I have to press the button to release it. Should it always be done automatically or why does it do it randomly? Anyway to have released automatically all the time when going from Parked to Drive?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The parking brake goes off automatically if you have your seatbelt attached and you select drive.
If you are not wearing your seatbelt you will have to apply the brake pedal and hold it, turn the shift knob to drive then depress the parking brake button to release the parking brake, you will then be able to drive but the seat belt alarm will keep chiming.

Last edited:

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
Someone may have to check me, but I am pretty sure it has to do with the seat belt. If the truck is in park with the brake on and the seat belt is fastened, the brake will disengage. But, if the seat belt is not buckled, you will have to disengage it manually.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Interesting to know about the seatbelt because I tried this option out the other day and it annoyed me having to manually turn off the brake.
I think I was in and out of the truck moving it around some snow and my belt was not on

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, that's it. As mentioned, it's a safety feature on many vehicles these days with push button parking brakes, they won't release automatically when shifted in drive unless you have your seatbelt on.

db252

Reaction score
It can be turned off in settings though so it just works manually for set and release, right? I thought I remembered reading that in the manual. Don’t have my truck yet so can’t test it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It can be turned off in settings though so it just works manually for set and release, right? I thought I remembered reading that in the manual. Don’t have my truck yet so can’t test it.

For auto setting the parking brake in park, you can turn it on or off in the Uconnect screen (it's off by default). But the parking brake auto releases when your seatbelt is on and put into drive or reverse, I don't think you can turn that off, though I can't see why you would want to?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely the seat belt. I love the auto parking brake feature - I burned up the parking brake on my Titan several times because I just don't remember the pedal-type are on - but if you don't have the seat belt on you have to hit it manually. It's a good feature, especially with the rotary knob because I've actually turned the truck off a few times with it in Drive, forgetting to put it into park, and that feature has probably saved me from driving through my garage door or off my hill :D

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was backing to hitch my trailer using the camera, when I stepped out to lower the trailer onto the hitch I realized I backed up a bit too far, I tried to move ahead a touch with the door of the truck opened, no way, it was not happening, the brakes would not release, the door must be closed to move forward or reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread