5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Parking Brake Question

GreyGoat

Reaction score
I've had this truck for a little over two weeks now and cannot figure out this automatic parking brake feature. Every time I put the truck in park it automatically engages the parking brake (obvious enough). However, it only automatically disengages the brake about 20% of the time. I have not been able to figure out any logic to when it auto disengages vs I have to manually press the button to turn it off. If anyone can shed light on this I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's from the manual (if you didn't see it already)...Most of the time people forget the seat belt part. I don't personally use the automatic parking brake so I cant comment on whether is is correct.

If the Auto Park Brake feature is enabled, the parking brake
will automatically engage whenever the transmission is
placed into PARK. If your foot is on the brake pedal, you
may notice a small amount of brake pedal movement while
the park brake is engaging.

The park brake will release automatically when the ignition
is ON, the transmission is in DRIVE or REVERSE, the
driver seat belt is buckled, and an attempt is made to drive
away.

GreyGoat

Reaction score
Snowman, you are right. I did look it up in the owners manual, but must have over looked the seatbelt requirement. Thanks!

Michael_D

Reaction score
I still haven't read the manual.... Been trying to figure out why the parking brake will randomly release. Figured it out a couple days ago that the seat belt needs to be buckled. Time to read the manual......

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I still haven't read the manual.... Been trying to figure out why the parking brake will randomly release. Figured it out a couple days ago that the seat belt needs to be buckled. Time to read the manual......
Make sure you’re reading the real manual, not the thing that came with the truck. Owners Manual Download

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are there variances between the two? I prefer reading something I can hold in my hands over something on a screen......

Most likely what came with your truck was the user guide, not the full manual (unless your dealer was nice). Take a look and if it's only the user guide, you can order a full manual free of charge through Ram chat. Make sure they send you the manual for the DT models, not the 2019 Ram classic.

Last edited:

Jerseyman26

Reaction score
I have had the same issue and didn't know the seatbelt had anything to do with the emergency brake releasing. I actually had at the dealer today for the recall and mentioned about the emergency brake. I was told that the emergency brake does not automatically release and is not meant to. When I challenged them, I was told that the mechanic checked it out on another truck on the lot to confirm they are correct. I said I'm not going to argue with you but I think the mechanic is wrong. And after reading this, the mechanic is definitely wrong. The other issue I had is that the side mirrors do not always come back after the truck is reverse. Many times I have to manually bring them back. The dealer said that there isn't wrong with the mirrors. Go figure.

silverbullet

Reaction score
I have had the same issue and didn't know the seatbelt had anything to do with the emergency brake releasing. I actually had at the dealer today for the recall and mentioned about the emergency brake. I was told that the emergency brake does not automatically release and is not meant to. When I challenged them, I was told that the mechanic checked it out on another truck on the lot to confirm they are correct. I said I'm not going to argue with you but I think the mechanic is wrong. And after reading this, the mechanic is definitely wrong. The other issue I had is that the side mirrors do not always come back after the truck is reverse. Many times I have to manually bring them back. The dealer said that there isn't wrong with the mirrors. Go figure.
Just get a video of the mirrors acting up. My truck isn't throwing any codes since they replaced some mirror switch but it's still having the issue with not auto-folding correctly(the auto tilt in reverse is off/on like yours also). Current dealer saw it and acknowledge it but did not have a fix since there is no code. Frustrating for sure but at least they are not denying the issue. They just don't know how to fix it at this point.

Jerseyman26

Reaction score
Just get a video of the mirrors acting up. My truck isn't throwing any codes since they replaced some mirror switch but it's still having the issue with not auto-folding correctly(the auto tilt in reverse is off/on like yours also). Current dealer saw it and acknowledge it but did not have a fix since there is no code. Frustrating for sure but at least they are not denying the issue. They just don't know how to fix it at this point.
Hopefully they will soon. The counterperson at the dealership told me today when I picked up my truck that they didn't see an issue. I told them that I have to manually bring the mirrors back to the correct position. He said well at least you can do that. I said yes, but I am driving while I am adjusting my mirrors which means I do not have my eyes on the road, which is not good.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
As for the mirrors not unfolding when placed into gear, I appreciate this setup. The reason why I use the folding mirrors is a limited clearance to park the truck in my garage. If they folded out when I back out the left mirror would hit the garage door frame. I would venture a guess there are other owners in the same situation. I use the back up camera with the mirrors folded and when clear of the door I set the mirrors to fold out.

rglenn828

Reaction score
RAM 1500 2019 limited

eBrake will not disengage... BRAKE indicator flashing and Yellow brake warning on dash.

Tried setup Brake Service Option and auto on, neither worked?

Ended up disconnecting the battery to reset.

Anyone else have this issue?

One thing of note had my DT ORC power down flash recall done yesterday.
a48bf9f0f1ed8ff2bf651440570c6650.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RAM 1500 2019 limited

eBrake will not disengage... BRAKE indicator flashing and Yellow brake warning on dash.

That's a dealer situation for sure. That parking brake warning light will have a diagnostic code associated with it that will tell the service department the issue.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have been using my auto parking brake since day 1 and it has worked flawlessly. I NEVER put it into gear without using my seatbelt but when I do try, the brake remains engaged like it's supposed to.

John Smith

Reaction score
RAM 1500 2019 limited

That's a dealer situation for sure. That parking brake warning light will have a diagnostic code associated with it that will tell the service department the issue.
I've had it happen 3 time over the past year and have had to use the 12mm wrench trick / no luck any other way would love to have a fresh idea!

Mebeadamb

Reaction score
I have had 3 Ram 1500s since 2020, and loved the Auto Park Brake feature, but this third one does not have the setting to turn it on. Does anybody know if the 8.4 WITH NAV does not have that feature, or am I missing something? I did the Factory Reset to see if that would add the option, but it did not.
I have the BackCountry option, so that is new to me too. Perhaps that option removes the feature? I miss it.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I have had 3 Ram 1500s since 2020, and loved the Auto Park Brake feature, but this third one does not have the setting to turn it on. Does anybody know if the 8.4 WITH NAV does not have that feature, or am I missing something? I did the Factory Reset to see if that would add the option, but it did not.
I have the BackCountry option, so that is new to me too. Perhaps that option removes the feature? I miss it.
my 8.4 non nav has it
so one would believe you should have it

Users who are viewing this thread