5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic headlamp behavior

Patamaran

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm hoping I can get some feedback on what's going on with my truck's headlights.

In auto, the low beams are always on with the screen dimmed, and the low beam indicators lit up in the dash cluster...etc It is behaving as if it's night time, all the time, even at high noon with not a cloud in sight. If I manually toggle my headlamps to "off", taking the photosensor out of the equation, then the screen brightens up, and the headlamps turn off, as you would expect.

Is this a result of the Low beams being set as DRLs (Canada)? or is something wrong with my photosensor?

*and no there is nothing on the sensor like a hat or a sticker on the windshield or any of that.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds like you have an issue with the sensor.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Where is the sensor? In my Lincoln it is in the dash next to the windshield. Throw a mask up there (that the CDC now says we don't need again) and the Lincoln thinks it's night.

Patamaran

Reaction score
Where is the sensor? In my Lincoln it is in the dash next to the windshield. Throw a mask up there (that the CDC now says we don't need again) and the Lincoln thinks it's night.

yeah its up on the dash in the Ram, but my dash never has anything on it, no masks, hats, cats or dogs blocking the sensor, so I guess its likely to be a bad sensor.

Patamaran

Reaction score
The dealer, and chrysler engineers looked at my vehicle for 3 days, and came back with no solution. a half assed "we are working on a software update for this" which I don't believe for a second. if they were working on a patch for this issue, there would be no need to keep my vehicle for 3 days of troubleshooting. disappointed.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The dealer, and chrysler engineers looked at my vehicle for 3 days, and came back with no solution. a half assed "we are working on a software update for this" which I don't believe for a second. if they were working on a patch for this issue, there would be no need to keep my vehicle for 3 days of troubleshooting. disappointed.
There is a setting in the BCM called CBC Features: Tunnel Detection Present. This setting is supposed to be set to “NO”. On some Canadian Rams, they botched the configuration, and have it set to “YES”. This is why your exterior lights stay on in the auto position no matter what the ambient lighting is. It can easily be fixed with AlfaOBD. There was a member on the HD forum that was able to have the tech get a new configuration from FCA “on the fly”, and fix it. Most dealers probably aren’t aware of this, so you could ask them to verify that specific setting, and have them request a new vehicle configuration from FCA that will correct it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It may be a new issue they had not seen before, so the three days of troubleshooting was to verify it wasn't an electrical issue before saying it's a software issue.

Patamaran

Reaction score
There is a setting in the BCM called CBC Features: Tunnel Detection Present. This setting is supposed to be set to “NO”. On some Canadian Rams, they botched the configuration, and have it set to “YES”. This is why your exterior lights stay on in the auto position no matter what the ambient lighting is. It can easily be fixed with AlfaOBD. There was a member on the HD forum that was able to have the tech get a new configuration from FCA “on the fly”, and fix it. Most dealers probably aren’t aware of this, so you could ask them to verify that specific setting, and have them request a new vehicle configuration from FCA that will correct it.

Holy crap thank you, I've been working on this since I got the truck. My likes finally work properly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread