5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Car Wash and Electronic Transmission

ncsu92

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help. Over the past couple of weeks, when I take my 2019 through a car wash, when I switch it into neutral, I get a message that says that I must press the brake and start button to shift into gear. That is hard to do since they are sending another vehicle right behind you. Anyone else experience this?

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hoping someone can help. Over the past couple of weeks, when I take my 2019 through a car wash, when I switch it into neutral, I get a message that says that I must press the brake and start button to shift into gear. That is hard to do since they are sending another vehicle right behind you. Anyone else experience this?
Yes does it in my wives Jeep also. That's just the way they have it programmed. Haven't found a way to turn that off.

ncsu92

Reaction score
Yes does it in my wives Jeep also. That's just the way they have it programmed. Haven't found a way to turn that off.
How do you do it without the car wash rollers going under your tire and causing the computer to get "confused". The transmission shift lights flash and I have to restart. The problem is that the rollers are pushing the car through and, when I press the brake, it causes issues. Maybe I am an idiot.

NHREBEL2

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean about the rollers. I don't have any issues I just ignore the screen.

ncsu92

Reaction score
Car wash rollers that are pushing the truck through the wash. They are against the back wheel. When I press the brake, the car wash rollers continue to move to "bump" the truck forward. Press the brake and they roll under the wheel and then the transmission computer gets "confused".
Not sure what you mean about the rollers. I don't have any issues I just ignore the screen.

ncsu92

Reaction score
I'm assuming the truck is being turned off during the car wash process. I leave mine running and then simply shift back into drive when it is time, no brake press needed.
Not turned off just shifted into neutral but it is like you have turned it off. Truck is still running but the transmissions dial is "locked" in neutral until you press the brake and start button. Mine was like yours for 6 months. Just shift back into drive. Something has changed.

NHREBEL2

Reaction score
I guess I'm missing something. You can't apply the brake while you're in the car wash. Are you talking about at the end of the wash when you try to drive away?

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I think the fact that it's asking you to hit the start button is throwing me off. I don't remember having to do that to switch from drive to neutral and back.

I'll test it out in a bit, but you're gonna have to hit the brake no matter what. Just be quick about it or go to a different car wash, if you can

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You barely have to touch the brakes to get it to shift into gear. I've never had an issue with this.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
I rarely ever have to touch the brake to shift from N to D.
On those rare occasions, just tap the pedal slightly and shift...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm. I get the same message but have never had to touch the brakes. Keep engine running through car wash and just turn the dial to D and I'm off.

Apexcars

Reaction score
I just lightly touch the brakes and shift to D. You don't ever stop moving or even apply enough brakes to slow down.

ncsu92

Reaction score
I just lightly touch the brakes and shift to D. You don't ever stop moving or even apply enough brakes to slow down.
If I just tap, the gear indicator lights start flashing and it will not shift.

69Sting

Reaction score
do you have the driver seat belt fastened?
My cousin runs a car wash and he said with all newer Dodges they had to keep someone in the vehicle to keep it in neutral. After much trial n error and research, I discovered that the drivers seat belt needs to be buckled. So the truck can go through the wash with out a person in it.

door closed
Tuck running
Drivers seat belt buckled
put into N
open door and get out

my guess is that the seat belt confirms if someone is in the seat or not.
So based on this, my guess is if your seat belt isn't on, the vehicle is looking to verify a driver before allowing it to be changed to D from N. A tap on the brake and a push on the start button is another method the truck verifies someone is in the drivers seat.

Give it a try and let us know. If already buckled. I don't know.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
do you have the driver seat belt fastened?
My cousin runs a car wash and he said with all newer Dodges they had to keep someone in the vehicle to keep it in neutral.

If it is true for Dodge, you can bet it is true for RAM, Jeep, & Chryslers...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread