5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Car Wash and Electronic Transmission

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Car wash rollers that are pushing the truck through the wash. They are against the back wheel. When I press the brake, the car wash rollers continue to move to "bump" the truck forward. Press the brake and they roll under the wheel and then the transmission computer gets "confused".
Put the truck in Neutral, if that is the Directions at the CarWash. Don’t worry about the dash. When you roll out on the completion ow the wash, pres brake, turn shift knob to drive and that’s it. Except I go and park and dry off my truck.

SIERRARICH

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help. Over the past couple of weeks, when I take my 2019 through a car wash, when I switch it into neutral, I get a message that says that I must press the brake and start button to shift into gear. That is hard to do since they are sending another vehicle right behind you. Anyone else experience this?
I've had this problem too! Today I stepped on the brake and pressed the start button. When I shifted to drive and the truck shifted into park. How do you avoid this?? If this is some kind of safety feature, I question how many have had a vehicle pushed into the back of them in a car wash!

Jeff B

Reaction score
I use an automatic car wash weekly, and just tap the brake and switch into drive after the rollers push me out...never ever have pushed start button...or see need to .

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use an automatic car wash weekly, and just tap the brake and switch into drive after the rollers push me out...never ever have pushed start button...or see need to .
Same. I was thinking that this (old) discussion only makes sense if you live somewhere where you're required to shut off the vehicle. That would be a pain.

Skiprobert

Reaction score
Not turned off just shifted into neutral but it is like you have turned it off. Truck is still running but the transmissions dial is "locked" in neutral until you press the brake and start button. Mine was like yours for 6 months. Just shift back into drive. Something has changed.
Did you find resolution to this? Recently purchased a 2019 1500 and 3 out of ten times it won't go back into D. Engine running. Fortunately car wash shuts down before disaster.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does it actually say "start button" or just "button"? This seemed to baffle people on the Jeep forum too. Jeeps actually still have a shifter not a knob on the dash. The screen just says "push button and shift to D". It literally meant push the button on the shifter so it would go into drive. I would think the same programming is used just Ram has a knob so there is no button to push.

Try sitting in a parking lot and just shift from N to D and see what happens. Sure you might have to touch the brake, just don't stand on it while in the wash. It works. Really, it's just a car wash.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know exactly what the original poster is saying. I had this problem on my 2014 with the 8-speed. I quick tapped the brake and shifted, rarely did the rollers pushing the vehicle go under the tires.

My 2019 is different. As long as the vehicle is rolling enough to see 1 MPH on the speedometer, it allows me to shift from neutral to drive without using the brake at all.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051170 miles.

Rotorhead

Reaction score
I have found that if your speedometer is reading at least 1 MPH you can shift from N to D without pressing the brake. The car wash I normally use typically has the truck moving at 1 MPH at the very end.

HMC8403

Reaction score
I asked a friend that owns a carwash. The the track that pushes the vehicles has sensors and will pause the progress if there is an obstacle. Plus they always space vehicles apart for a little extra safety. He told be a story of an old lady that turned the steering wheel and her car jumped the track; the conveyer paused to avoid a pileup. Carwashes are careful as they would be responsible if you were rear ended.

At the end of the wash you get a green light when there are no more rollers in front of the tires so you can drive off without running over any of them. There is still one roller behind the rear tire pushing you; if you step on the break to shift, that roller can possibly lift your tire and go under. Best thing to do is ignore the green light and wait until that last roller disengages (those small surges forward stop), Now you have enough time to brake, shift and drive off. Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 1.48.05 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread