5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Braking while Backing up?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
This feature scared the crap out of me the whole day i had it on before i disabled it and broke the sensors with a hammer.

kiesey

Reaction score
Haha, so true and SO scary! I was up north at the cottage for the first time with my new Rebel and our trAil has a ton of tiny bushes and overgrown leaves...I learned my lesson.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happened today (along with the new squeaking suspension). Backing up to load the beast with my daughters boxes for the move to her new house. Real estate sign on lawn set it off and she stopped like I hit a wall....all good and normal...just a little sensitive which is better than the alternative I guess.

RumHam

Reaction score
The new RAM's do have an active breaking system when backing up. I ended up disabling mine as it was constantly stopping me from backing into my driveway which does have a mild slope (not drastic enough in my opinion for it to stop me). I don't know if there is any way to get it tuned or not, I would like the option to save me in parking lots or if a kid runs behind me - but it happening like it does when nothing is there...
Thanks for the knowledge on this issue. It's happening to me with a new 1500 as well. Super frustrating, every time. Outside of disabling the active breaking system are there any other options out there? Thanks again.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have landed on carriers and the arresting wire (trap) doesn’t stop near as abruptly as the FCA automatic braking system. Although either has the ability to coerce a few choice blue words from those not expecting it. (WTF comes to mind and that isn’t a call sign) 😉

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For the new folks reading this thread, just remember you can disable the back-up emergency braking without losing your rear warning sensors.

Don't turn off the warning sensor toggle on your dash, leave that on so you still get audio warning as you back up, but turn off the emergency rear braking in the Uconnect menu options.

Mine has only done the false braking a couple of times, each with the aforementioned incline or change in elevation that seem set set it off, I have left mine on because it actually saved me once when backing up and not hitting a kid who ran out behind my truck.

Last edited:

Quint

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info. Wow - what a dangerous "safety" feature they installed. I turned down the wrong street. I started doing a Y-turn because there was no traffic in site. When I started to backup, it detected the snowbanks on the other side of the road. Three times it did the hard brake while the truck was sitting sideways in the middle of the road. Of course at this point, another truck was heading towards me quickly. In a panic and without being fully backed up, I simultaneously threw into into drive and 4-hi, hit the gas, and blasted through the 1ft snowbank in front of me but making it back onto the road safely. SHEESH!

This is how I disabled on my 8.4" UConnect:

1. Tap on Settings
2. Tap on Safety/Driving Assistance
3. Tap on Rear ParkSense Braking Assist, unchecking the box

Thank goodness I can still use the sensors without this junk braking system.

Last edited:

Venom700

Reaction score
Yes it stinks and has slammed the brakes on me backing onto a road as well. I disabled it. Way too sensitive and no more sensitivity settings to fiddle with.

Users who are viewing this thread