5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Autodimming Headlights and Reflective Traffic Signs

p209chief

Reaction score
My new 1500's autodimming headlights repeatedly go low/high/low ... up to three times ... from a single reflective sign, and they almost never pass one without dimming. Our 2017 Subaru Outback occasionally dims from a reflective sign, but it's the exception - not the rule. The Ram is so irritating, you want to go back to manual beams. The dealer says they are within factory specs, so sorry ... hope for a software update. Anyone else noting this??

Grayman5752

Reaction score
I wish there was some kind of way to adjust the sensitivity but there isn’t. I got sick of it so I just switched back to manual. Sucks that it’s part of an options package that I paid for and not using now, but I’m chalking it up to a first world problem and just moving on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slimchance

Reaction score
all 3 of our 2019s do this same thing ... i cover the sensor on the dash and leave them in the auto mode so the lights turn on when i start the trks and off when i stop the trk .... kinda like my toyota did ... i don't like the always on setup from the factory because this just put the headlights on, NO tail lights

Ranger482

Reaction score
Mine do the same, will switch to low beam frequently due to roadside signs, reflectors, etc. Kind of annoying and more frequent in non-rural areas so I will sometimes disable depending on where in at. Sounds like no adjustment in our future either which is disappointing, as many other manufacturers seem to have settings or software that work better.

Dtbrew

Reaction score
all 3 of our 2019s do this same thing ... i cover the sensor on the dash and leave them in the auto mode so the lights turn on when i start the trks and off when i stop the trk .... kinda like my toyota did ... i don't like the always on setup from the factory because this just put the headlights on, NO tail lights

They are talking about the auto-dimming high beams. You are changing the behavior of the auto-on headlights. The sensor for the high beams is between the mirror and the windshield not on the dash.

Schatzy

Reaction score
My older 2016 Ram did the same thing. I don't think you will see any software update. My uneducated guess is the headlights are higher on a truck and therefore more reflection on road signs. I think it is live with it or turn them off.

Users who are viewing this thread