5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Side Step Problem - Stuck Deployed

immersivenc

Reaction score
Anybody experienced the auto running boards getting stuck open or closed? We're experiencing some pretty heavy rains here today, but that's the only thing I could think that may be affecting it. My driver's side running board is currently stuck deployed. Never had an issue before now but when I got in to drive home, it said something to the effect of "running board unavailable." but it worked and then when I got home and got out, it would not retract. I opened and closed the door several times - still stuck deployed. Any thoughts?

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody experienced the auto running boards getting stuck open or closed? We're experiencing some pretty heavy rains here today, but that's the only thing I could think that may be affecting it. My driver's side running board is currently stuck deployed. Never had an issue before now but when I got in to drive home, it said something to the effect of "running board unavailable." but it worked and then when I got home and got out, it would not retract. I opened and closed the door several times - still stuck deployed. Any thoughts?

Have you tried using the Uconnect controls to manually deploy / retract them?

warvet

Reaction score
here we go again immersivenc.............you and me having had the same issue. It happened to me one day. Wouldn't go back in. I tried everything. It was just the driver side. So, I figured I'd take it to the dealership one day but as soon as I drove off and got over a couple mph, it went in. Hasn't happened since then.

Most times mine will store within seconds of closing the door...................a few times, it takes a few seconds longer after I'm already beginning to pull out of my parking space.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
here we go again immersivenc.............you and me having had the same issue. It happened to me one day. Wouldn't go back in. I tried everything. It was just the driver side. So, I figured I'd take it to the dealership one day but as soon as I drove off and got over a couple mph, it went in. Hasn't happened since then.

Most times mine will store within seconds of closing the door...................a few times, it takes a few seconds longer after I'm already beginning to pull out of my parking space.

Mines never stuck but I also get the occasional storing a few seconds longer than normal.

immersivenc

Reaction score

Yeah I tried everything to get mine to go in. Only went in after storing them in UConnect and they seemed to work right after that. I was wondering if any info was logged as I got a "side steps not available" message on the dash just before it happened. Taking it in tomorrow to address a couple other things and this is on the list. I'm just adding to days out of service for my lemon law case at this point. I think we're at 27 or something now. Plenty more days than required by NC law...

warvet

Reaction score
awe man, I thought all of your issues were re
Yeah I tried everything to get mine to go in. Only went in after storing them in UConnect and they seemed to work right after that. I was wondering if any info was logged as I got a "side steps not available" message on the dash just before it happened. Taking it in tomorrow to address a couple other things and this is on the list. I'm just adding to days out of service for my lemon law case at this point. I think we're at 27 or something now. Plenty more days than required by NC law...
I thought you were all good.........the clunk fixed, the oil leak fixed?

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have seen the same behavior occasionally. A few seconds late at times, nothing I'm worried about though.
Same here. Usually quick, but just the other day it must have taken about 10 seconds. I believe it's just how it is. No biggie.

Tarheel Ram

Reaction score
My driver side side step is stuck between up and down. Message indicates that the step is unavailable and service is required. Side Step button on control screen is grayed out. Tried driving and no change. The passenger side is working fine. Before this happened I saw an error message that there was an obstruction but there was nothing under the truck or in the way.....Suggestions are appreciated....

Autoplay

Reaction score
Just a thought......Maybe the pivot points are stuck/binding,and its sensing something in regards to too much force being needed to open/close properly?

Possibly you can lube the pivot points,and in turn it will move more freely.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Y'all should see the amount of F150 Limited's I've seen driving around up north here with running boards stuck deployed... you're not alone. Haven't seen a single Ram with stuck boards.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the question is how to reset after this happens?
I don't know of anything but maybe pull the fuse, start /stop, replace fuse? Maybe that would reset them?

Tarheel Ram

Reaction score
After 2 days at my dealer, the problem with the driver side step has been solved. They replaced the motor and the control module as the unit was defective.

JV77

Reaction score
My former Tahoe had the auto deployed running boards. They were stuck either down or up for about half the mileage I put on the car. For this reason alone, I wanted to steer clear of them on my new ram. I really liked them when they are working, but too finicky in my opinion.

Last edited:

JV77

Reaction score
My Tahoe was an 09, so I would think the quality/technology/reliability of this type of system would be improved over the past 10 years, but I wasn't willing to risk it personally. I hope they are better now for everyone who has them on the new ram.

slowt

Reaction score
I had this occur once when I was in a rush and didn't let the step fully deploy. No amount of door opening and closing or turning on/off the truck would fix it, however, it did go back once I began driving.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
No issues with mine. Every now and again they take a couple of seconds longer to retract, but other than that, I am loving this feature.

Users who are viewing this thread