5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Release Tailgate

Maverick

Reaction score
I’ve been reading that the auto release tailgate is only on the Laramie Longhorn and Laramie Limited. I’ve ordered a Sport and I assumed it had it. Can anyone confirm if it’s on the Canadian Sport model? If Ram restricted this convince feature to the two top trims I think it’s very petty. It should be in the Level 2 package on all trims. Cost to add can’t be expensive. You can get a Caravan with auto opening doors and tailgate.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been reading that the auto release tailgate is only on the Laramie Longhorn and Laramie Limited. I’ve ordered a Sport and I assumed it had it. Can anyone confirm if it’s on the Canadian Sport model? If Ram restricted this convince feature to the two top trims I think it’s very petty. It should be in the Level 2 package on all trims. Cost to add can’t be expensive. You can get a Caravan with auto opening doors and tailgate.
Not sure, maybe a secret like the surround view delete with tow mirrors was, especially early on!:)

Ryanww

Reaction score

It depends on what Sport you ordered. Did you order a Big Horn Sport Appearance or a Laramie Sport Appearance. Since you can no longer order a "sport" model......

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't answer to the sport - but a lot of times dealers will show the keyfob in their listing pictures. It'll be a button on the keyfob. My Laramie has it.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks to be only available on the Laramie and above. Power release tailgate

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What is your source? Do you have physical access to a Sport or pics of a Sport key FOB?

Just looked at Canadian website and built it a few times different ways and it only allowed Laramie and above to have the power tailgate.

D

Deleted member 85

Hey Maverick - I sell at a Canadian Dealership, and this is a phenomenal point. Here's a 2019 Ram 1500 Sport's VIN Option Breakdown, fully loaded -
1529623238611.png
1529623261172.png
1529623286379.png

Note - it does not say anything about remote open, only that the tailgate locks, and it is dampened.

Maverick

Reaction score
I am pissed it’s not included. Who made the decision to not make it available on anything but the top trims? When I ordered the truck there was nothing to tell me it wasn’t included. There is no information available to the consumer. The brochure doesn’t list standard or optional features on each trim line like brochures are suppose to. First the tow mirrors fiasco, bed utility package fiasco, major delay in etorque and rambox and now this. This launch has been a nightmare and there is no communication from FCA.

Remote tailgate release should be on the level II package on the Sport, Rebel and Big Horn. RIDICULOUS!!! This buying experience has been a nightmare.

Thanks for the info Bobbi. I asked my dealer and they replied “I think it is.” They don’t have any Sports in stock yet. They should know though.

D

Deleted member 85

Thanks for the info Bobbi. I asked my dealer and they replied “I think it is.” They don’t have any Sports in stock yet. They should know though.
Happy I could help.

Also - if you're in BC, I would gladly not only beat the deal of the other dealer, but provide you a far greater purchase experience.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
although the "canadian sport" has a lot to offer, it does run short of the laramie with the sport option. it is definitely not going to get you to the higher end options/features. that will cost you another $3000 - $4000. very worth it in my opinion.

Maverick

Reaction score
I don’t consider remote tailgate release a high end feature. I currently drive a Laramie. I thought I was getting this feature on the Sport. Here’s a pics from the Canadian brochure. It says nothing anywhere about the feature being restricted to Laramie and above anywhere. As well, when I compared the Laramie to the Sport and the difference I couldn’t come close to justifying the price difference.

Attachments

• 9059C9F6-793D-4304-8134-5A10162EC799.png
    9059C9F6-793D-4304-8134-5A10162EC799.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 26

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am pissed it’s not included. Who made the decision to not make it available on anything but the top trims? When I ordered the truck there was nothing to tell me it wasn’t included. There is no information available to the consumer. The brochure doesn’t list standard or optional features on each trim line like brochures are suppose to. First the tow mirrors fiasco, bed utility package fiasco, major delay in etorque and rambox and now this. This launch has been a nightmare and there is no communication from FCA.

Remote tailgate release should be on the level II package on the Sport, Rebel and Big Horn. RIDICULOUS!!! This buying experience has been a nightmare.

The brochures on these new Rams are pretty much worthless. I picked one up back in March to study, bout had it memorized, lol, just to get suckered by the tow mirror thing. After my dealer learned a lot, basically because of me, they have discarded all their earlier printed brochures. Not sure if there are any revised versions out there or not. I use mine now like a folder just to hold any paperwork related to my truck, even the dealer said that is about all it’s good for. Not to repeat what is said in other threads but I can somewhat understand some of the waits with e-torque, Rambox, exc because of the ‘late’ year availability, but the complete lack of info and communication is uncalled for regarding detailed items like you mentioned above!

Agitated

Reaction score
Why in the hell would anyone want or need a remote tailgate release on a truck? That would suck if a trailer or something was hooked up and you hit that button and ball up the tailgate like a tin can.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that is a good safety tip! Might need to work up a foam bumper on the trailer just in case.

Flot

Reaction score
Why in the hell would anyone want or need a remote tailgate release on a truck? That would suck if a trailer or something was hooked up and you hit that button and ball up the tailgate like a tin can.

I haven't gotten around to checking if the tailgate will release in motion or if any of the proximity sensors will stop it from opening. It is an interesting feature, but I agree it has some risk. The release button is in the roof center console, I've had a couple passengers poking around with buttons and was a bit worried that one of them could lower the tailgate inadvertently - even in a parking lot you could whack somebody's car behind you. I'll fool with that this weekend and see if there are any protections.

While it is a neat feature I would not lose any sleep if I didn't have it. I will say that the slow-drop and super light lift are very nice additions, although I wonder if it will be worse when driving over bumps with the tailgate open.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why would someone want a power hatch door on their SUV? Because it's awesome to have your significant other "pop the hatch" when you're carrying a heavy load of gear out to the vehicle, or when you need to jump out and grab your bags quickly at the airport. I'll enjoy the remote tailgate release for exactly the same reasons. Is it a must-have? NO. Will it potentially be useful? Sure!

Maverick

Reaction score

It would be really useful when I pick up my daughters from hockey and other sports and their arms are full. Same if I’m approaching the truck with arm full of bags. Accidental opening should be low risk as the button is on the overhead console. As light as the tailgate is with soft opening I doubt it would damage anything it hits.

Users who are viewing this thread