5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto for entry/exit mode on air suspension?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Will trucks fitted with adaptive headlights automatically adjust headlights vertically when the truck is lowering or raising? And if the headlights were the issue for the alternating lowering, wouldn’t it therefore make more sense to just raise or lower the four corners simultaneously?
Adaptive headlights don't go up and down.
I suspect moving all 4 cornor at once would put a lot more stress on the compressor then 2 cornor at once
I'm not sure what the problem is, it takes a few seconds to manually change the suspension raising and lowering a 2-3 ton truck.

I don't think it has anything to do with headlights as it does the same thing with the truck tuened off, and half of these modes are listed as off-road, and off-road doesn't have rules like regular roads do

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Will trucks fitted with adaptive headlights automatically adjust headlights vertically when the truck is lowering or raising? And if the headlights were the issue for the alternating lowering, wouldn’t it therefore make more sense to just raise or lower the four corners simultaneously?
No to the vertical adjustment, and maybe the multi-stage raising/lowering allowed Ram to use a smaller compressor…or helps with load leveling…or some other engineering thing.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with headlights as it does the same thing with the truck tuened off, and half of these modes are listed as off-road, and off-road doesn't have rules like regular roads do

Incorrect. I didn't just make it up. According to the owners manual the alternating lifting/lowering is specifically due to headlight aiming.

This system uses a lifting and lowering pattern which
keeps the headlights from incorrectly shining into
oncoming traffic. When raising the vehicle, the rear of the
vehicle will move up first and then the front. When
lowering the vehicle, the front will move down first and

then the rear.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Incorrect. I didn't just make it up. According to the owners manual the alternating lifting/lowering is specifically due to headlight aiming.

This system uses a lifting and lowering pattern which
keeps the headlights from incorrectly shining into
oncoming traffic. When raising the vehicle, the rear of the
vehicle will move up first and then the front. When
lowering the vehicle, the front will move down first and

then the rear.
"according to the owners manual" the transmission has lifetime fluid too.
Saying a change was made for safety is normally a copout for the real reason.

dajogejr

Reaction score
The owners manual can “say” it’s for headlight alignment.
However… Off-road 1 doesn’t work past…40mph I think..and off road 2 doesn’t work past 20 or 25 (sorry, forgot actual MPH but I know I’m close)… I can’t think of a single time since 2015 when I had my first air ride ram.. hey, I’m doing 40MPH… I don’t want to blind others as I’m lowering/raising my truck.
Is it a benefit? Maybe.
I believe the real reason is smaller compressor, easier to lift/lower one axle at a time.. and I can absolutely confirm it auto levels with trailer or bed weight from the rear end only.

Ability to raise/lower all 4 corners and faster would increase cost, equipment, etc. I think these trucks are expensive enough…. :)

Believe what you want. But sometimes common and practical sense has to play a part. Sorry, if I’m in a position to raise or lower my truck, it’s not at a speed and/or area I’m worried about blinding other drivers.
And to be clear.. Marketing is always quick to claim victory or steal where they can, often due to a result of other’s efforts or ideas. those lines in the manual could very well be written from a marketing perspective.

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But sometimes common and practical sense has to play a part.

Exactly. Common sense says that the manufacture will be hyper sensitive to even a remote possibility that their trucks could blind oncoming traffic due to a design function of their trucks given they were forced to pay multimillion dollar settlements because people couldn't figure out how to place their vehicle in park and jumped out and got run over by their own vehicle.

The common sense you are ignoring that the manufacture cannot ignore, is that are legal tort system often results in huge claims against manufactures that defy common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread