5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto dimming sideview mirror????

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I have a 21 BTS that has an auto dimming rear view and left sideview mirror that dims but the right side does not. I know on the higher level trims they ALL dim but on my Bighorn just the 2 do.

My question is/are...
Is it possible to add the right side dimming mirror? If so, can the alfaOBD or similar activate the BCM to do so? I was told by the dealer that the BCM needed to be changed to do it and it wouldn't be worth the cost. Has anyone tried or done this mod successfully?

Reactions: x50

x50

Reaction score
Following, as I would be interested in this upgrade too.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I was told by the dealer that the BCM needed to be changed to do it and it wouldn't be worth the cost.
Of course he'll say that lol :LOL:

You can add this feature by replacing the mirror and programming it using AlfaOBD. Very easy upgrade actually.

x50

Reaction score
Of course he'll say that lol :LOL:

You can add this feature by replacing the mirror and programming it using AlfaOBD. Very easy upgrade actually.

Do you know the part number for the mirror?

Jack.

Reaction score
Would also like to do this. Commenting to stay on

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP you started a post about this a few months ago lol. Jimmy explained how to do it. :D

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a mirror of you want it. It is just the mirror glass. This way you only need to replace the glass and not your entire mirror.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wanted to add it to mine, but the glass that has the blind side indicator was 100 dollars more just because of the dimming feature.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
OP you started a post about this a few months ago lol. Jimmy explained how to do it. :D

I knew I posted about it before but i forgot which forum i posted it in. Now I know 😉

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I knew I posted about it before but i forgot which forum i posted it in. Now I know 😉
All good. I'm going to eventually add it to mine. I kept the link to the other chat so I can go back to it and have all the info I need lol

x50

Reaction score
I have a mirror of you want it. It is just the mirror glass. This way you only need to replace the glass and not your entire mirror.

I wanted to add it to mine, but the glass that has the blind side indicator was 100 dollars more just because of the dimming feature.

I have BSM so I would need the glass with it. Is it easy to replace just the glass? I saw in a YT video that showed getting the painted mirror cap off is hard and you will mostly likely break the clips. It would make sense that just the glass can be replaces though so I don't know. I have the night edition so my caps are painted black. It would be nice not to have to worry about painting any mirror parts to match.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's super simple to just replace the glass. You will need to run the new wires into the truck for the dimming glass though. It's not hard, but it does take time. I took apart both my mirrors completely to add the wiring for the BSM. I did both and my passenger mirror did not want to fold in anymore. I went back and took it apart and it only took me 5 mins as I already had done it once.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My bad forgot to say how to replace the glass. Best way to do it Is to tint the glass all the way down, either manually or through the switch. Then you will just put you fingers through the top part of the glass and pull towards you. Just a warning the factory glass might break. I broke two of mine and one off my buddies truck when trying to tint my corner lights. :( They aren’t too pricey, but man it sucked that they broke.

x50

Reaction score
My bad forgot to say how to replace the glass. Best way to do it Is to tint the glass all the way down, either manually or through the switch. Then you will just put you fingers through the top part of the glass and pull towards you. Just a warning the factory glass might break. I broke two of mine and one off my buddies truck when trying to tint my corner lights. :( They aren’t too pricey, but man it sucked that they broke.

So you don't have to take the back mirror caps off to replace the glass? If the glass breaks I guess it not a big deal since I'm replacing it anyway.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
All good. I'm going to eventually add it to mine. I kept the link to the other chat so I can go back to it and have all the info I need lol
I belong to like 3 forums and a bunch of fb groups so I literally didnt know where I posted it before. It was a crap shoot lol

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you don't have to take the back mirror caps off to replace the glass? If the glass breaks I guess it not a big deal since I'm replacing it anyway.
Correct, no need to take off the back cap. I took off my back cap a few times without breaking it. On my buddies truck it broke off first try, but it still held in place without any issues.

You will need to take off the back cap to run the wires though. You might be able to fish them through, but I say it's much easier if you just take apart the whole side mirror.

Reactions: x50

x50

Reaction score
Correct, no need to take off the back cap. I took off my back cap a few times without breaking it. On my buddies truck it broke off first try, but it still held in place without any issues.

You will need to take off the back cap to run the wires though. You might be able to fish them through, but I say it's much easier if you just take apart the whole side mirror.
Would you know the part number for the passenger side auto dimming glass with BSM?

Users who are viewing this thread