5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Dimming High Beams

jassim

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my lights. I dont know if it is a safety feature I am unaware of or what, but I recently purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn with alot of extras (LED light group, Dual Paned Sunroof, UConnect 4C Nav, etc), and my lights are doing wacky things. I dont have the "convenient group" and I am not seeing Auto Dimming HIgh Beam control on the window sticker or as an option to turn on/off on console settings, but when i am driving with my high beams on, something is turning on and off when i get near other lights or reflections. My high beams stay on, but I think either my low beams come on, or my fog lights do intermittently? So either its a safety feature, i do have high beam control that is not working correctly, or something else? Any ideas? I have tried to reproduce while standing infront of it with a flood light, but cant get it to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The auto highbeams on my truck are really good and will turn off when I come up to an oncoming car or one in front - they dim in plenty of time and it is like magic. They will also dim if there is a really strong reflection but not like our subaru which dimmed at every road sign. If you are saying your highbeams stay on but lows turn off that is definitely strange behavior but does sound like auto highbeams in reverse.
I was under the i.pression the fog lights while turning only function with a turn signal and slow speed sharp turn and I believe are disabled with the highbeams.

Bertman

Reaction score
It does kind of sound like auto-dimming hi-beams fits what you are describing. The truck senses lights in front and turns the hi-beams off. On my truck, I think the screen in the dash gives you a warning that it disabled the hi-beams temporarily. Have you seen that?

Also, this is just a guess, but maybe you can't reproduce it with the spotlight because truck isn't in drive, or maybe isn't moving.

Yangster

Reaction score
I believe the auto high beam detector is in the housing above the mirror or the mirror.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The auto highbeams on my truck are really good and will turn off when I come up to an oncoming car or one in front - they dim in plenty of time and it is like magic. ...
Yeah I've had no problems with them either. When you turn the high beams on (pushing the lever forward) the EVIC will display a message that auto dim headlights are active. If it's not saying this, you don't have them.

You mention the fog lights turning on/off with high beams. When the high beams are turned on the fog lights will automatically turn off. So if the truck turns the high beams off, the fog lights will turn back on. This is set based on DOT saying you can only have 5 lamps active on the front of the vehicle. That doesn't count "lights of less intensity" which are based on lumen, but are things like corner markers and cab lights. Fog lights are bright enough to count, so they turn off. That way you'll only have 4 lights on at any given time.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh man. Cliff notes were awesome. No idea if they still exist though, but I doubt it. Everyone probably just uses Google or Wikipedia.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Oh man. Cliff notes were awesome. No idea if they still exist though, but I doubt it. Everyone probably just uses Google or Wikipedia.
Of course they still exist. They've been adapt to modern times...

Users who are viewing this thread