5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Beams Not Working

Kevin1106

Reaction score
I’ve search all over and have yet to find an answer... I traded my 19 ram limited in on a 20 ram limited and for the life of me, the auto high beam feature isn’t working, I checking the settings in the radio to make sure it was turned on, yet when I push the lever forward, I don’t get the message I use to get in my 19 saying auto high beams enabled, doesn’t matter if the switch is in the auto position or on position, Another car comes and my lights don’t switch back to low beam. I have to manually do it. Anyone else encounter this problem and have a fix? I went to the dealer today to have it checked.. I had to make an appointment for tomorrow.

I’ll update this thread tomorrow. I noticed lots of people never update their threads with solutions..

panthersfan

Reaction score
I’ve search all over and have yet to find an answer... I traded my 19 ram limited in on a 20 ram limited and for the life of me, the auto high beam feature isn’t working, I checking the settings in the radio to make sure it was turned on, yet when I push the lever forward, I don’t get the message I use to get in my 19 saying auto high beams enabled, doesn’t matter if the switch is in the auto position or on position, Another car comes and my lights don’t switch back to low beam. I have to manually do it. Anyone else encounter this problem and have a fix? I went to the dealer today to have it checked.. I had to make an appointment for tomorrow.

I’ll update this thread tomorrow. I noticed lots of people never update their threads with solutions..
Check out this thread / post:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...ms-and-automatic-rain-wipers.2002/post-213323

I have the same problem with my 2020 limited. I've been following the above thread and many other folks have the same issue with their 2020 rams. Flashing the BCM, or in the service ticket on the linked post above a "vehicle reconfiguration" seems to resolve it. Check out the rest of the thread for additional info. Most of the 2020 specific info starts on the 4th page of the thread.

I've been putting off the trip to the dealership to get mine resolved, I'll have to get it done eventually.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
'20 Ram Limited assembled on or about 12/12/19 and both lights and wipers work as advertised.

Jefferym70

Reaction score

In the end, the most valuable information within this thread is to take to dealer for evaluation. Like most software/hardware issues, a lot can happen on the way to working. Just had my 2020 Limited done today for same issue. Software modules not interacting which cannot be engaged without diagnostic tools from dealer. Works great now. In general, software and hardware come into public use 95% solid. Then there is that last bit to give some of us headaches. My auto high beams work brilliantly now. As well as or better than the 15 Platinum that was traded.

Kevin1106

Reaction score
Took my truck back to the dealer... I showed them a few post from here... all is working now as it should.. here is the dealer invoice. Thanks everyone for the help. Gotta love the forums!

Attachments

• 09AF24B1-75CE-4906-8CCF-DA308D453510.jpeg
    09AF24B1-75CE-4906-8CCF-DA308D453510.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 169

Yncsss02

Reaction score

I have the exact same issue with my 2020 Limited. Got an appointment Friday, but I am hoping it is a quick fix. I also think there is an issue My Active Parking feature...searching for quite sometime before finally finding a parking spot. I don't really rely on it, but I paid for it, so I expect it to work.

I would be very interested in the auto dim fix.

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Check out this thread / post:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...ms-and-automatic-rain-wipers.2002/post-213323

I have the same problem with my 2020 limited. I've been following the above thread and many other folks have the same issue with their 2020 rams. Flashing the BCM, or in the service ticket on the linked post above a "vehicle reconfiguration" seems to resolve it. Check out the rest of the thread for additional info. Most of the 2020 specific info starts on the 4th page of the thread.

I've been putting off the trip to the dealership to get mine resolved, I'll have to get it done eventually.

Hi panthersfan,

Please do not hesitate to send us a PM if you are in need of any extra support in addressing this with your dealer!

Took my truck back to the dealer... I showed them a few post from here... all is working now as it should.. here is the dealer invoice. Thanks everyone for the help. Gotta love the forums!

Thank you for sharing this update, Kevin! Glad to hear your dealer was able to assist with this!

I have the exact same issue with my 2020 Limited. Got an appointment Friday, but I am hoping it is a quick fix. I also think there is an issue My Active Parking feature...searching for quite sometime before finally finding a parking spot. I don't really rely on it, but I paid for it, so I expect it to work.

I would be very interested in the auto dim fix.

Hi Yncsss02, please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings! If needed, we are more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for additional support while working with your dealer. Our team is always just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

Yncsss02

Reaction score
Hi panthersfan,

Please do not hesitate to send us a PM if you are in need of any extra support in addressing this with your dealer!

Thank you for sharing this update, Kevin! Glad to hear your dealer was able to assist with this!

Hi Yncsss02, please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings! If needed, we are more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for additional support while working with your dealer. Our team is always just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares
So I had an 0800 appointment. At 1130 I got my truck back and they said it was just a dirty sensor, but I am not sure they even tested it. I will see tonight, but I am going to be pretty upset if it still does not work. In my Chrysler 300 enabled this feature I would get a screen that popped up on the dash saying something to the effect that "Auto Dim Headlights Enabled," but I do any such screen on the Ram. I enabled in via Uconnect (check the box) and that is it.

Should I get a screen or sound saying it is enabled?

Jefferym70

Reaction score
So I had an 0800 appointment. At 1130 I got my truck back and they said it was just a dirty sensor, but I am not sure they even tested it. I will see tonight, but I am going to be pretty upset if it still does not work. In my Chrysler 300 enabled this feature I would get a screen that popped up on the dash saying something to the effect that "Auto Dim Headlights Enabled," but I do any such screen on the Ram. I enabled in via Uconnect (check the box) and that is it.

I am not an expert by any means. The tech at the dealership stated that the message "Auto Headlight Beams Enabled" will come on when the software is successfully engaged with the BCM. Mine message did not come on before the software was fixed. Hopefully the tech there was correct but I think in the end, you should see the message come up on your screen not unlike your Chrysler 300 (As noted, I have a 2020 1500 limited. Good luck!

Yncsss02

Reaction score
I am not an expert by any means. The tech at the dealership stated that the message "Auto Headlight Beams Enabled" will come on when the software is successfully engaged with the BCM. Mine message did not come on before the software was fixed. Hopefully the tech there was correct but I think in the end, you should see the message come up on your screen not unlike your Chrysler 300 (As noted, I have a 2020 1500 limited. Good luck!
I also have a 2020 Limited. I guess I’ll see tonight.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also have a 2020 Limited. I guess I’ll see tonight.
Whenever you move the stalk forward, you should see the message that it’s enabled (and conversely disabled when you return the stalk to normal position).

Yncsss02

Reaction score
Whenever you move the stalk forward, you should see the message that it’s enabled (and conversely disabled when you return the stalk to normal position).
I am getting nothing when I move the stalk or enable via uconnect.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi Yncsss02,

I apologize that you are still experiencing trouble. If you are planning to continue addressing this with your dealer, please follow up with us via private message. We are more than happy to get a case going for you.

Mark
RamCares

Yncsss02

Reaction score
Enabling in UConnect just makes it possible. You then use the stalk to turn on/off. Per owner’s manual, of course.
It’s not fixed, so I’m taking it back again tomorrow. I’m hoping they don’t try to schedule me for another appointment. Had one today and they had it for four hours, but didn’t fix anything. Trying not get upset! They should have at least tested and verified the repair.

Yncsss02

Reaction score
Finally got the auto high beam feature fixed today. I still think the active park assist stays in search mode entirely too long, but I’ll make them look at it during my first maintenance.

Big thanks to Kevin1106, SpeedyV, and RamCares for the invaluable assist.

mikkel

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone on this thread, I had my BCM reflashed yesterday, which solved the auto high beam issue.

Interestingly, I noticed the following in the "My Ram" app on my iPhone this morning. It appears under "Maintenance Info" --> "Recalls" --> "Campaign", titled "2020 DT Auto High Beam Headlamp Control."

Even though I had this done at my dealer yesterday, as I already mentioned, it currently appears in the app as INCOMPLETE... I assume the status will update later once my dealer submits paperwork showing completion.

Perhaps this will help other owners, who can refer to this document at the dealer and avoid a service department runaround or denial.

Mike

Attachments

• VF2.pdf
    500.4 KB · Views: 30

Yncsss02

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone on this thread, I had my BCM reflashed yesterday, which solved the auto high beam issue.

Interestingly, I noticed the following in the "My Ram" app on my iPhone this morning. It appears under "Maintenance Info" --> "Recalls" --> "Campaign", titled "2020 DT Auto High Beam Headlamp Control."

Even though I had this done at my dealer yesterday, as I already mentioned, it currently appears in the app as INCOMPLETE... I assume the status will update later once my dealer submits paperwork showing completion.

Perhaps this will help other owners, who can refer to this document at the dealer and avoid a service department runaround or denial.

Mike
Had mine done a few weeks back, but took it in today to make sure everything was good. They told me though I had already had it done, they still had to check it out because of the recall. I will see how long it takes for the app to update.

Users who are viewing this thread