5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audio warranty coverage

Rayrayrebel

Reaction score
My truck came equipped with the Premium sound system, the Harmon-Kardon 19 speaker option and this morning I heard a definitive rattle or "blown speaker" sound emanating from the right rear corner of the cab.
I schedule a maintenance visit and the website says estimated $105. The vehicle has 6K miles, wouldn't this be covered under warranty and no charge would be applied?

Jeeper

Reaction score
Definitely should be 100% covered. Sounds like the location of the factory sub woofer.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it is covered. If you make the appointment on-line you have to select an item for service. It will come with an automatic price for diagnosis.

It even says these prices are estimates and actual prices will be given to you by the service department. They will have to transcribe the info into their FCA program anyway and should easily recognize it under warranty with on 6K on the odometer.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it would be nearly impossible to blow a speaker with the HK system unless that 'speaker' is the sub.
The overly bassy sub wont let you feed enough actual bass to the 6x9's to be able to blow them.

Rayrayrebel

Reaction score
Really appreciate the responses; I cant spot a time where i would have been really cranking any music, ive turned it up some but never to irritating levels, so i was surprised to hear the fuzzy sound too. Have loved the system so far.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My truck came equipped with the Premium sound system, the Harmon-Kardon 19 speaker option and this morning I heard a definitive rattle or "blown speaker" sound emanating from the right rear corner of the cab.
I schedule a maintenance visit and the website says estimated $105. The vehicle has 6K miles, wouldn't this be covered under warranty and no charge would be applied?
You have a 3 year / 36K mile warranty regardless. Websites at dealerships have no idea info related to your vehicle and will pop up pricing if that applies. In your case, it obviously does not.

jljbtm

Reaction score
I have that same rattle coming from the right rear of the cab (45,000 miles) i just cant pinpoint if its a bad speaker Does anyone know where the 19 speakers are?

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
I have now had 2 speakers blow in my 19 limited with the HK system, really bugs me. First one was my center speaker on the dash. Second one was my drivers side rear speaker. Just went ahead and upgraded them all with aftermarket speakers.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a really bad rattle noise in the rear passenger side that ends up being the roof panel coming unglued from the cross members. Could hear it on certain bass notes and very rarely from bumps in the road

Also the four bolts that hold the sub into the truck we’re barely hand tight, I applied loctite to them and they’ve been good since.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have that same rattle coming from the right rear of the cab (45,000 miles) i just cant pinpoint if its a bad speaker Does anyone know where the 19 speakers are?
There aren’t really 19 speakers, the 3.5” speakers in the dash, front doors and roof are coaxial and ram is counting each one as 2.

jljbtm

Reaction score
oh really? I think the sound was better in my 2011 Laramie

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
oh really? I think the sound was better in my 2011 Laramie
Have you unplugged your sub yet?
If not, do it and then re-compare to the sound against your 2011 Laramie.

Rayrayrebel

Reaction score
UPDATE-- well, not really, Before i took my truck in, I found a receipt in the door cubby, also i forgot i had a 4.5" piece of 1 x 4 wood trim in the door cubby too. I took those out and voila, the rattle was gone. It wasn't my sub or speaker making the busted, rattling sound, apparently it was the bass causing those items to vibrate in the door storage cubby. Embarrassing but I am glad nothing was wrong with my Rebel.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing better than a free fix, no matter what the reason. (y)
And one less trip to the dealer is always nice, Gotta make sure you have everything figured out for them so you don’t get some BS answer.

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
Replaced my rear door speakers yesterday, quite easy and a MASSIVE improvement in sound. Bass is tight, sound is loud and clear. I love it

Johnny5

Reaction score
I have now had 2 speakers blow in my 19 limited with the HK system, really bugs me. First one was my center speaker on the dash. Second one was my drivers side rear speaker. Just went ahead and upgraded them all with aftermarket speakers.
What'd you end up upgrading to? Simple plug and pay using same factory amp or new speakers and amp too? I have the HK as well and speakers would be on the list a little later

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
What'd you end up upgrading to? Simple plug and pay using same factory amp or new speakers and amp too? I have the HK as well and speakers would be on the list a little later
Simple plug and play.
Did these guys for the rear: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC693/Kicker-46CSC6934.html?omnews=16767769

And these for the front and corner dash: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R3032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-3032cfx.html?omnews=16767769

super easy, and a major improvement

BigD

Reaction score
I had a really bad rattle noise in the rear passenger side that ends up being the roof panel coming unglued from the cross members. Could hear it on certain bass notes and very rarely from bumps in the road

Also the four bolts that hold the sub into the truck we’re barely hand tight, I applied loctite to them and they’ve been good since.
I have that same rattle. Sounds like it's coming from my rear passenger roof panel. Only hear it when certain bass tones come on or if someone pulls up next to me at a stoplight with subs & there basd is really thumping. So what did the dealership do about it ?

Users who are viewing this thread