5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ATV on tailgate?

Capitoljay

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time poster here.

So I upgraded my 2012 Ram and got a Rebel crew cab. The new Rams have the aluminum tailgate, and I am just wondering how much weight they can support compared to the old steel ones.

I have a 2018 Can Am Outlander Max (2 seater) that is about 9 inches longer than a typical ATV. I used to put it in the back of my 2012 RAM crew cab with no issues.

Does anyone know the rating for the tailgate and tailgate cables? I want to put the ATV in the back but I am worried.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Check that out.

If you hauled it with a 4th Gen Ram you should be able to haul it with the 5th Gen.

The aluminum tailgate will be just as strong and lighter, so more weight could be put actually.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
If you are worried about weight on the tailgate, get a couple of long 2x8 for the tire tracks and distribute that weight off the tailgate.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always erred on the side of caution. When I was in College I have a 2002 Ford Ranger Ext Cab and would bring my Harley back and forth (500 miles each way) when I would come home for summers and Holidays. I got a 3/4" sheet of pressure treated plywood that was the size of my whole bed and tailgate to fully distribute the weight of the bike. Never had a worry, maybe just peace of mind.

Bonus: It doubled as a perfect beer pong table in the garage when not in use lol.

Capitoljay

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, that is what I was thinking. I'm certain the manual is just covering themselves for liability reasons by saying it's 150 lbs rated. That's hardly anything.

I do think I will put some 2x8s down to distribute the load a bit tho. With it strapped down it shouldn't slide around I don't think do you?

Kidder

Reaction score
I always erred on the side of caution. When I was in College I have a 2002 Ford Ranger Ext Cab and would bring my Harley back and forth (500 miles each way) when I would come home for summers and Holidays. I got a 3/4" sheet of pressure treated plywood that was the size of my whole bed and tailgate to fully distribute the weight of the bike. Never had a worry, maybe just peace of mind.

Bonus: It doubled as a perfect beer pong table in the garage when not in use lol.
Plywood for the win

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How was the tailgate warning, did you get use to it after a while. ;) :LOL:

Blvckr3bel

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, that is what I was thinking. I'm certain the manual is just covering themselves for liability reasons by saying it's 150 lbs rated. That's hardly anything.

I do think I will put some 2x8s down to distribute the load a bit tho. With it strapped down it shouldn't slide around I don't think do you?
150lbs?! lol, if that were the case i wouldnt even be able to climb in the damn thing

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
On a side note I found another use for the OK button today. Left my key fob in the garage and went for a drive. Noticed my dash saying key missing from vehicle press OK to dismiss. I hit OK and lo and behold it let me keep driving. This has to be a major security flaw.
All you have to do is hit ok on your steering wheel and it goes away, also make sure to turn off the rear bed lights, cuz they will stay on if you dont

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/