5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At what point is it not justifiable?

Wire4money

Reaction score
I was shopping used, but ended up buying new because it was cheaper. Bighorn Hemi 4x4 quad cab for under 45k. MSRP was over 55.

grizzly.t

Reaction score
There really hasn't been any depreciation the last few years with COVID and inventory shortages. The used market really isn't that much lower than buying new. Some used vehicles have even sold for more than new.

Personally, I'd check for new and compare prices. If it's only a few thousand dollars difference, I'd go new. You can probably find better deals buying used private party.

grizzly.t

Reaction score
Thank you. I would tend to agree relative to recent times though the market is crashing a bit.

‘’’with a limited it seems they can be found fot 45 -48k. Some less and more. For a 19 . Now maybe a 20 as well. New Msep for the spec build is hi 60’s. Not sure how current discounting is.

‘’’it’s great folks here have raised good points. It seems a gamble for sure getting used with high tech, age and miles with uncertain history.

grizzly.t

Reaction score
I was shopping used, but ended up buying new because it was cheaper. Bighorn Hemi 4x4 quad cab for under 45k. MSRP was over 55.

If I could get that level of price cut I could indeed build a new vehicle. a bit more humble I suppose but definitely would work.

grizzly.t

Reaction score
I’ve been in somewhat of a similar dilemma recently. .

If I were you, I’d price out a new bighorn and with the right incentives, you could get it for not much more than the used limited would cost.

. You could look into ordering one from mark dodge or another dealer that does 4% or so below invoice. For me it was way cheaper to order than try and deal locally unfortunately.

Thank you for taking the time. And that goes to everyone. I'd like to see where this mark dodge is or what resources exist in MA. I've been linking awhile but not following order threads.

If we can get some discounting again there is a possibility.

Problem for me is deciding essential vs want. I thought I wanted to try ramboxes too. Don't think their on a big horn. Nor the reclining rear seat. Maybe not imperative as the one I lament over seems to have a warping cover or more that the body color cover is pulling away from the black top in one end. Thought I'd like to try them though.

Thank you.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time. And that goes to everyone. I'd like to see where this mark dodge is or what resources exist in MA. I've been linking awhile but not following order threads.

If we can get some discounting again there is a possibility.

Problem for me is deciding essential vs want. I thought I wanted to try ramboxes too. Don't think their on a big horn. Nor the reclining rear seat. Maybe not imperative as the one I lament over seems to have a warping cover or more that the body color cover is pulling away from the black top in one end. Thought I'd like to try them though.

Thank you.
The last time I checked the multifunction tailgate is also not available on a Bighorn. Nice option.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If I could get that level of price cut I could indeed build a new vehicle. a bit more humble I suppose but definitely would work.
To put it in perspective my 2022 Limited I got 7-8 months ago was a custom order, MSRP started at 77k (in December 21), ended at 80k (price was locked in on ordering). I got it for 67k BEFORE rebates. I believe I actually paid 65.5k for it
Ahhhh you're in MA.
Well you're screwed like me.
I contacted over 90 dealerships within 300 miles of central MA via email stating my exact build requested looking at 5-8% off invite and I was contacting several other dealerships and would go with the best pricing. No one even came close to Mark Dodge.
The responses I got were god damn comical.
Ill post some here so people can see some of the responses of dealerships around here who don't want to play ball.

" I don't think there is a dealer in the country willing to sell a vehicle for 5-6% below invoice right now."
"If you have dealers coming in under invoice I Would say pull the trigger. The market just doesn’t dictate coming in that far under MSRP."
"Beat of luck seeing that and not having a bunch of fees on top of it. A lot of dealers from further away advertise that way and than shock you when you arrive to pick the truck up. They do that because at that point what else are you going to do, walk away and wait another 4 months."
"I wouldn't be interested in quoting a ram @ 5% to 8 % off invoice--????? I feel you will find every dealer is selling over msrp due to inventory shortages-- what you're asking for is unreasonable in this market , you're asking a dealer to lose 2 to 3000 off on a truck that no one has."
"Good luck with that. Hold back is only 2%. Why would you think you’d get 5-8% behind invoice? This is 2021 not 2018 and a lot has changed including the lack of these copy and paste emails."
"This day and age, when inventory levels are historically at the lowest point that it’s ever been for the auto industry, 5 to 8% off invoice is a non-starter."
"Unfortunately, With the market conditions being wheat they are, I am unable to get my price into the neighborhood you are looking for. We all pay the same price and there are different ways of doing business but I assure you, the dealer that offers you those types of numbers are going to play games by adding fees, marking up the rae and an oldie but goodie is adding the rebates in for tax purposes and then deducting them after the tax."
"I will love to earn your business but I'm not discounting the cars or sending out pricing. If you are interested and will like to come and sit
down I can order your truck"

Someone I spoke to on the phone and emailed with was Nathan Pinnette [email protected] Central Maine Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Fiat 300 Kennedy Memorial Drive Waterville, ME 04901.
He took the 77k MRSP and discounted it to 72K pre-rebates which was the best I could find semi-locally. Invoice pricing was 70.8K

I would recommend you figure out what you want on the Ram building website and reach out to Mark Dodge and just ask for a quote to see what pricing you can get into, it may or may not surprise you and at least show you what "real pricing" for a new truck would be.

I ended up taking a plane and flying down, got a hotel for a day and drove back over 2-3 days. This was right after the gas price hikes. I still saved an insane amount of money.
You could also get it shipped home, but I never buy something without seeing it in person for something this expensive.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The last time I checked the multifunction tailgate is also not available on a Bighorn. Nice option.
Oh wow, I did not know that. Then again you don't see many Bighorns with MFT.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Oh wow, I did not know that. Then again you don't see many Bighorns with MFT.
I have only saw 2 other trucks with MFT, and the second one was today. It had MFT and Ramboxes!

It really depends where you live. I had a dealership look at my Ram when I needed my MFT driver side tailgate adjusted and the service advisor said it would be a few hours as they "don't sell trucks like mine".
Needless to say I took it home and worked on it myself, and 6 washers later it fit perfectly.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had everything under the sun in my life, from new and fancy to things held together with bailing wire. My thoughts:

1. You are alive one time. If you would like a new truck, and you're not too destitute to afford it, you should buy it.
2. With almost all brands (including Ram) if you pick a midline version you're going to get almost all the cool, "worth it" options without all the "give me everything including the sink" options. You'll never get everything unless you go all out, but you can get close enough that you probably won't care about what you don't get. I don't have reclining rear seats, and I don't care because I don't care if the people in the back seat are lounging or sitting straight up - they can walk if they don't like the seats.
3. I have a 2019 that I bought brand new with no miles on it in Jan 2019 and it hasn't been back to the dealer for anything. I'm just over 30k miles.

Derek916

Reaction score
A ‘22 Laramie 4x4 was 48K base price when i first started looking. After a few months I decided wanted Leather from the Limited After waiting for rebates and basically dropping the ball, the new base price is 56K for a Laramie and 67K for a Limited. For myself, I reached the point where it was no longer worth it.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was cheaper for me to buy new than used in April of this year. Dave Sinclair CDJR in Pacific MO with free lifetime powertrain (until the repair cost exceeds value of vehicle & then they buy you out for $1500 - through CNA). 10% off MSRP. Received 34 days after build date. 🥳

Local ford dealers really p*ssed me off & ended up not having anything to test drive really except for a Raptor that they wanted to mark up 15k from MSRP after telling me they don’t do that at their location & wasted my time. Plus their build dates were 6-8 months out & I couldn’t wait that long.

I wouldn’t pick up a 19, but the following years seem to have gotten progressively better.

Ram12375

Reaction score
The deals are out there to get new at about same price as used. Ram is the only brand where you can still find deals 10,000 under msrp versus the other price gougers who charge 10,000 over msrp. I work for a competitor but bought a ram instead

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Was cheaper for me to buy new than used in April of this year. Dave Sinclair CDJR in Pacific MO with free lifetime powertrain (until the repair cost exceeds value of vehicle & then they buy you out for $1500 - through CNA). 10% off MSRP. Received 34 days after build date. 🥳
Lifetime powertrain?
How?

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lifetime powertrain?
How?

There are some dealerships near me that will also offer 3rd party warranties & CNA seems to have better coverage & handling of the repairs than other 3rd parties - at least when discussing with other consumers what issues they’ve had covered on the past. Koons CDJR also offers this warranty but their stipulation is you have to have it inspected by them annually & it’s too far of a drive for me, especially with the type of work I do. I just couldn’t hack it but they seemed good to work with initially. The dealer I went through this time does not require this & in fact as long as it’s a certified shop you can have the vehicle serviced wherever you like - it does not have to be the dealer.

I had one of these warranties on my 13 Silverado & had about $4k worth of work done around 88k miles for $0 & that was nice - that was through Jim Butler Chevy in Fenton, MO. The 1st Ram I got (2021) had the standard Mopar warranty & offered extended Mopar coverage like most dealers. I purchased this 22 Ram at Dave Sinclair CDJR in Pacific, MO & purchased their version of extended coverage which covers a lot more vehicle components than Mopar for around the same price that I could purchase extended Mopar warranty that only goes up to 125k which will only last me 2 years (maybe a tad more) with the amount that drive.

Only stipulation on both “lifetime” warranties is that you follow manufacturer maintenance via the manual at the given times. This particular dealer compared to the Chevy one does require a $100-$200 deductible however. Once the repairs exceed the value of the vehicle then CNA buys you out of your warranty for $1500 - which ends up being less overall than what I paid for the extended warranty on my 21 Ram.

So for the amount I drive for work it makes more sense for me, but not everyone perhaps.

Attachments

• 593D5836-E172-46C8-B69B-775E570162F8.jpeg
    593D5836-E172-46C8-B69B-775E570162F8.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 9AF56203-E8BF-4FB1-8657-D0E2C6A9D8F3.jpeg
    9AF56203-E8BF-4FB1-8657-D0E2C6A9D8F3.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 16

Davidbt

Reaction score
I was looking to trade in my Jeep Gladiator and thought about new. Other than factory insensitives, I couldn't find any new trucks I could afford, and honestly, there just getting too expensive. I found a 21 1500 Big Horn with 11,200 miles with the Level 2 equipment group and 3.92 gears for 44,000 and some change 3 hours away. This truck was dealer owned so I'm pretty comfortable with picking it up, hopefully today or tomorrow.

jcjohn

Reaction score
Traded used '15 ED Laramie in for used '19 Limited with 50k miles. My '15 had leaking 3rd brake light (like almost all previous Ram generations in recent history) but my '19 has been absolutely bullet proof. When I buy used I ALWAYS limit it to single-owner, clean title, with detailed service history/provenance. This has served me very well on multiple vehicles over the years.

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
I'll just give you my anecdotal experience. Might not be too relevant since it was pre-covid, but I was in the same boat as you.

Was casually looking for a truck. August 2020 I found a 2019 fully loaded Limited with everything I wanted (Max tow, 3.92, granite color) with 40k miles on it for 44k. Ended up at like 45k OTD (talked them down to 42k, TTL and 3rd party warranty got up to 45k OTD). 3rd party warranty was cheap piece of mind for any major issues, it's bumper to bumper to 150k miles, cost me like $1800.

I now have 90k miles on the truck. Have had to replace battery and starter, and get a new set of exhaust manifold bolts. Have probably spent about $1000 on the aforementioned things (starter was covered under warranty, bolts and battery were not). My power running boards don't work right now, just need to bring them in to get motor replaced. Doesn't bother me because I'm 6'4 and don't use them (wife and kids disagree, but they'll live). I'll bring it in for that eventually.

Personally? I'm super happy with my choice. Love the truck and everything about it, would do it again. For me, I appreciate all the little extras in the limited. Last year I test drove a midtier 2500 just for kicks and hated it.

Users who are viewing this thread